MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my aunt's M&P to the ups hub (where I thought I had to go) to ship her gun back to her. They informed me that they could not help me and that the only way they could ship a gun was to or from a dealer or smith and wesson.....this is nuts.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Okay....I was going to say something, but I figured out what was wrong. As a non-licensed shipper, you cannot ship a firearm state to state, regardless of whether it is owned by you, or her already. If shipped common courier, you must ship it from one FFL to another. You'll have to contact an FFL by you, and one by her to arrange the shipment, and if you ask nicely, maybe they'll waive their fee if it's already been purchased, as it shouldn't require a NICS check if she actually paid and NICS-ed it before in her name, but I'm not absolutely certain of that. The FFL should have that info.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Okay...figured it out. Your aunt will have to fill out a 4473 through the recieving FFL regardless of whether it's being sold to her or is hers already. That is a requirement of the FFL's business, so expect a transfer fee.

The ATF Firearms FAQ does list a provison for shipping a firearmfrom yourself in one location to yourself in another location care of someone else, for hunting or other lawful purpose. The person the package is entrusted to cannot open the box at all. Were you to try this, i.e. putting your name on the recieving side c/o Your Aunt, and just letting her open it, both of you would be in violation of federal law, and if found out, subject to the penalties. I mention it only because I didn't want you to stumble on half of the provision and then make a serious mistake.

You're going to have to ship FFL to FFL and pay the transfer fee and shipping costs, unless you can talk the recieving FFL out of the fee. Some ranges offer free transfers as part of their memberships.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Might be time to take a road trip to return the firearm. I bet your aunt would at least cook you a nice meal.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do people like Dan Burwell escape these problems? I know he has an FFL but won't he ship it back to you.

·
Registered
559 Posts
koumiss45 said:
How do people like Dan Burwell escape these problems? I know he has an FFL but won't he ship it back to you.
You can ship a firearm for repair or other work and return to you. Gunsmiths have FFLs so there's no problem with them receiving them, and there's no change of ownership. The problem you ran into is that you're shipping the gun to someone else who isn't an FFL dealer and isn't you.

I'd do the road trip as suggested above. Give her the gun back, eat yourself into a coma, and return.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
bubba tex said:
How about disassembling and shipping 2 or 3 packages of gun parts?

Shipping the frame is shipping the firearm, it is serialized equipment.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ship the gun to yourself at her address.

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b8

·
Registered
67 Posts
bubba tex said:
How about disassembling and shipping 2 or 3 packages of gun parts?

You can ship everything like that, except the receiver. By law, that defines what is "the gun." So the problem is, you still can't ship the whole gun simply by disassembling it. The slide.. sure. The barrel even. Magazines, springs, you name it. But as soon as you try to ship the frame/receiver, you are shipping a gun, regardless of how useless it may be all by itself.

·
Registered
50 Posts
BateleurRGB said:
[quote name='bubba tex']How about disassembling and shipping 2 or 3 packages of gun parts?

You can ship everything like that, except the receiver. By law, that defines what is "the gun." So the problem is, you still can't ship the whole gun simply by disassembling it. The slide.. sure. The barrel even. Magazines, springs, you name it. But as soon as you try to ship the frame/receiver, you are shipping a gun, regardless of how useless it may be all by itself.[/quote]

Roger that!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Okay dumb questions, but I was going to ship my M&P 40 and M&P 45 off to have trigger jobs done by Burwell gunsmithing.

Can anyone explain how I go about doing this? Do I have to go to a local FFL and have them ship my gun?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
115 Posts
From the ATF website FAQs

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

I personally have not sent anything to Mr. Burwell, but I'm pretty sure he has his FFL. Therefore, you can ship to him and he can ship the pistol back to the same address it was sent from or to another FFL.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts