MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read a couple of posts on this forum from members who have polished their feed ramps using dremels and jewelers rouge. I don't even like to keep a dremel in the same room as my guns but I seem to recall someone recommending using toothpaste as a polishing compound for guns, primarily because it is very mildly abbrasive and won't do any damage. Has anyone out there used toothpaste as a medium for polishing their ramp? Are there any downsides?

·
Registered
198 Posts
texagun said:
I just read a couple of posts on this forum from members who have polished their feed ramps using dremels and jewelers rouge. I don't even like to keep a dremel in the same room as my guns but I seem to recall someone recommending using toothpaste as a polishing compound for guns, primarily because it is very mildly abbrasive and won't do any damage. Has anyone out there used toothpaste as a medium for polishing their ramp? Are there any downsides?

Minty fresh muzzle blast?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sargespd said:
Minty fresh muzzle blast?

I never thought of that one.

I thought someone might tell me it would prevent cavities in the bore.

By the way, I have used tootpaste to polish watch crystals. It works great....takes all the scratches out and leaves them clear and gleaming. Thought it might work on ramps and chambers too.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
You'd be shocked (well maybe not :wink:) just how abrasive toilet paper by itself is. Back in my youth I used to do ultra high precision machining. Stuff where you hold .0002" and when we got as fine a mirror polish was we could using finer and finer diamond paste we'd always clean it up and then finish with plain TP.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Yes it will work,and it will get fish smell off your hands after cleaning your catch, that is if any of you gun nuts fish

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
sholling said:
You'd be shocked (well maybe not :wink:) just how abrasive toilet paper by itself is. Back in my youth I used to do ultra high precision machining. Stuff where you hold .0002" and when we got as fine a mirror polish was we could using finer and finer diamond paste we'd always clean it up and then finish with plain TP.

unfortunately, I've used some that could sand paint off a truck

·
Registered
370 Posts
A good dremmel polishing pad and rouge will do the job. IMO toothpaste will take a lot longer to do the same job.

·
Registered
17 Posts
tooth paste

I was watching Shooting USA a while back about some of the Single Action shooters. One of the top shooters had, I think, a reproduction Single Action Army. He put tooth paste inside the gun (trigger area, hammer, sear, etc) and did a whole bunch of dry firing to "slick up" the mechanism. Seems logical to me.

Stan

·
Registered
673 Posts
Tooth past is too mild an abrasive to get results effectively. Hardened stainless would be best polished mechanically with jewelers past... IMO.

I used a piece of dowel with a bit of 800 sand paper to get the polish started and then past and machine...

·
Registered
100 Posts
You can also use tripoli, the white bar, but it might take off some metal rather than just polish it.

The small polishing bars are so inexpensive, I don't know why you'd want to mess with toothpaste. And if your really into it, Brownells has a host of lapping/polishing pastes.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have used electic shaver sharpening compound successfully.

·
Registered
403 Posts
+1 on the Flitz. I use a little dab and about 30 seconds with the buffer on the dremel tool and the ramps looks perfect. I have used that on all my autos.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I was about to say so myself......lmfao.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm gonna have to give the toothpast theory a try.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts