MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago l installed an APEX polymer trigger and trigger spring only in one of my 1.0 M&P's. After the install the trigger was/is very gritty. I have this same install in another 1.0 M&P but it's not gritty at all. I mean, this trigger is as gritty as 2 cinder blocks rubbing together! Did l do something wrong? Are some APEX triggers more gritty than others?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanx!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wonder if the grittiness is the spring windings inside the striker block rubbing in there or on the top edge of the hole.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Striker block is usually where the trigger takeup grittiness comes from. Now, if the takeup wasn’t gritty before you worked on it...
That's the thing though. Is it the tab on the trigger bar running over the face of the striker block? (I don't think that's it)

The striker block sliding up and down in it's hole in the slide? That doesn't seem likely either because it's smooth if you push on it while it's off the frame.

That leaves the spring running up and down inside the striker block or how the striker block engages the striker itself.

Yeah, I'm not understanding how it got worse from this install.

Of course I'm happy to be corrected about anything or everything I just said. I'm just trying to think about it logically.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've noticed that takeup feels different when the gun is cocked or not too. This is confirmed by pulling the striker back and pushing on the block while it's off the frame. If feels different than when it's forward.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I removed the slide and the trigger pull is as smooth as silk. With the slide on the frame it feels like something is hitting bumps as the trigger is pulled. That's the gritty feel I'm getting.
What can it be? Safety plunger, maybe?:unsure:

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
It looks like I may be wrong about this.
Yes; the striker block “behaves differently” when being raised up by the trigger bar traveling across it than when pushed straight in with a tool or whatever when the slide’s off the frame.

That’s why I replace the striker blocks in my M&Ps with the Apex one. You could polish the stock plunger sides and top, and polish the striker block channel in the slide. I prefer to just drop in the Apex one and be done.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I removed the slide and the trigger pull is as smooth as silk. With the slide on the frame it feels like something is hitting bumps as the trigger is pulled. That's the gritty feel I'm getting.
What can it be? Safety plunger, maybe?:unsure:
That's where I started :)

It wasn't even that I hated the trigger. I just couldn't stand not knowing where that gritty sensation was coming from.
Yes; the striker block “behaves differently” when being raised up by the trigger bar traveling across it than when pushed straight in with a tool or whatever when the slide’s off the frame.
I tried pushing it at an angle from under the slide for that very suspicion. I have to be honest. I didn't get that same gritty feeling as I did with the trigger when the slide was installed.This is the first handgun I've ever worked on so please don't take me as being arrogantly argumentative. Like I say. I'm just being honest.

I found a very helpful thread ( M&P gritty trigger fix ) on the Smith and Wesson forums where this fella says that he addressed what I did not think the problem was and it removed all the grittiness. I took my slide off and ran an allen key over the surface of the striker block and lo and behold I felt the minor inconsistencies there. It's probably magnified as it resonates across the trigger bar under more pressure.
That’s why I replace the striker blocks in my M&Ps with the Apex one. You could polish the stock plunger sides and top, and polish the striker block channel in the slide. I prefer to just drop in the Apex one and be done.
Although I'd love an Apex trigger, money is tight. I ordered an M-Carbo kit and when I have it apart of,course I'll polish everything up and report back what happens. Though I'm certain I won't be breaking any new ground :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Do you think replacing my striker block with an APEX striker block will fix my very gritty trigger?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not that I'm slighting anybody here, but read the thread I linked above. Lots of detailed discussion there too.
I did read it. And, l might join the site.
I'm thinking about just buying a 2.0 SHB and 2.0 trigger bar and making it a 2.0 trigger.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I own an SD9 and SD40. I installed a Galloway Boudica trigger in both of them and a Wesbaun spring kit in both of them as well. The triggers were still somewhat gritty so l sanded the striker blocks and polished them. I also did the same to the trigger bars. They are now as smooth as a babys behind. The trigger pull went down from almost 8 lbs to 4.75 lbs.
I'm not sure what l will do to my 40 but l might do the same to it as l did to my SD's and go from there.
Opinions?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Do you think replacing my striker block with an APEX striker block will fix my very gritty trigger?
Very little. The grittiness is the result of several things: It all starts with the trigger bar is being pushed straight back by your trigger finger pushing back on that trigger. So the bar slides straight back (much of the side of it rubbing against the frame) and meets the striker block at it's front leading edge (and that is where your APEX block , with it's beveled edge will ease that collision, BUT....). The top tab of the trigger bar, by it's shape, starts pushing the striker block UP (in the front), AS it's traveling back, so yes it''s pushing that block back (against the back wall of the hole it's in) and up, at the same time AND sliding against and along the the face of that plunger. Also, the striker block has a spring that's being forced the same way so it's kinda in the same awkward position as well. Now, at the same time that ALL THAT is happening, that "candy cane" on the end of the trigger bar? It's been sliding into and up under the sear and engaging it and pivoting it up (in the front). Well, the sear has the force of the striker pushing against the back of it, pushing forward against the trigger bar, that's trying to push backwards. Now, your trigger finger is feeling ALL that., up to where that sear pivots (up in the front, so down in the back) and releases that striker to slam forward and detonate the bullet. So what contributes to the grittiness? ALL of that. So to REALLY get rid of the grittiness and the bumps and catches or whatever else your trigger finger feels, you need to go in and polish ALL those mating surfaces. BTW, putting in the APEX plunger is just like dropping highly polished, alloy pop-up pistons into that '69 GTO and not doing anything else to the engine. I'm pretty sure that's against the law. If not, it's a darn tragedy. Nope, if your'e going to drop those high end, racing pistons into that motor, you're going to polish the cylinder walls and then the crank and then the cam and then the valves, etc. Same idea with that pistol.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did this test from the video below. When I pushed the safety plunger up and I pulled my trigger the gritty feeling was gone. So, it looks like I'm going to remove the safety plunger and clean out the bore of any burrs. I'm going to sand and polish the plunger and trigger bar and see what happens.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My MCarbo stuff came. I'll put it in and then should have 1st hand feedback. Everything's pointing to the striker bar, it's port and the mating surface on the trigger bar for the gritty take up.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
It’s fixed all of mine.
That said; like any pistol, shooting it “as is” for a while will help smooth things out. I don’t know if a lot of folks have that option these says, with the current ammo situation being what it is...

·
Registered
48 Posts
It’s fixed all of mine.
That said; like any pistol, shooting it “as is” for a while will help smooth things out. I don’t know if a lot of folks have that option these says, with the current ammo situation being what it is...
Even dry fire practice should help to smooth it out since its still all the same parts moving

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well it was a real adventure, but I got all my polishing done and the mCarbo springs installed (except the trigger return spring)

Night and day difference and the grittiness is indeed all gone. More later. It's 3 in the morning here :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Maybe this will be helpful.

When I say "I don't know if you can hear that" what I mean is that you can't hear anything. Before, there was a distinct grinding sound. Not horrible, but it was clearly audible and of course matched the gritty feel.

Also when I talk about "a little sumthin still there", that's not gritty but this very slight resistance in the takeup and if I hold my finger on the lefty side of the slide release, I can feel it moving out slightly as the trigger bar moves through takeup. In fact I can see it move. There's a little wear mark on the inside of that side of the slide release where the two have been contacting each other. I didn't notice until after it was back together. I'm going to do something about that when I get a chance.

The bottom line is that the break is noticeably lighter (but not too light) and the grittiness is gone.

You'll need to enable the audio on the video.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts