MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to carry a handgun. I submitted my application for a concealed carry license last week and I can't wait to receive it. The biggest thing holding off the purchase, however, has been my inability to shoot the M&P40 and compare it to the XD40. The range has one to rent, but they only rent to people who come in with a gun; I had to borrow a gun from a friend. A few friends and I are going to the range tonight
Even if/when I do like the handling of the gun after shooting it, I will still be unsure that it's the perfect gun for me. The reason is that the compact .40 is not available yet, even to hold in-hand

I have two main concerns... First, that a full-size gun will be hard for me to conceal at times (like when wearing a T-shirt); second, that the compact M&P will not have sufficient space for all my fingers, therefore sacrificing accuracy and general handling.

I have 2 friends who carry full-size guns (Glock 22 and XD40), and they say they don't have a problem concealing. Both of my friends' guns seem so bulky to tote around all the time, even if you were not trying to conceal. Another close friend carries an XD40sc. I am new to guns, so I do not know yet. The full-size M&P .40 is probably the gun for me.

If you have any suggestions, I am happy to listen. In the end, I know that the feeling of the gun in my hand is the only thing that really matters. I posted this to hear your thoughts and to hear from other gun-owners who don't like waiting for their new tool

·
Registered
270 Posts
Re: Waiting to purchase my first gun is hard :) (40 or 40c?

Just my input....I have the M&P compact 9mm and absolutely love it! I have pretty big hands and that was the issue for me when looking for a compact..I do not like the dangling pinky...This gun fits my hand great...I prefer to use the magazine w/pinky ext to get all my fingers on..for me the compact seems easier to conceal for me thats why I went with it over the full size..but either way you can't go wrong...It's more what you feel comfortable with in the end.....

·
Registered
708 Posts
id go full size, why compact?.. sure if u could get both why not.. but if just 1.. go for full

·
Registered
270 Posts
I just feel the compact is easier to conceal than the full size..Maybe it's all in my head..I feel while wearing a full size that other people can see the print..The compact just makes me feel more comfortable wearing...Plus I really like the compact anyway..Either way its all personal preference..both guns are great and you can't go wrong either way!!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Compact for CCW...

For a CCW the smaller the better in my opinion. This is especially true in the hot summer months in Texas or anywhere in the South. I have both a MP40 & a MP 9mm compact. The compact is definately easier to conceal. There are a lot of people that can & do carry full sized guns but I find them to be uncomfortabe to wear concealed.

I find it's not the barrel length that is hard to conceal but the grip. That's why alot of people carry 1911's. The grip is slimmer since it's a single stack. I use the MP compact grip without the pinky extension for CCW because it is smaller therefore easier to conceal. It fit's perfectly in my Kangaroo holster with minimal buldge.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I appreciate hearing all your viewpoints, and hearing why one size works better for you. For a while I was thinking that I would get the full-size, because my friends say they have very little problem concealing theirs. I have to keep in mind that one of my friends does not care at all if people see his Glock. He wore his gun in plain view in a restaurant, and he was asked to hide or remove his gun because he was making customers uncomfortable. Now, I'm starting to question the full-size. It would be a much easier decision if the damn .40 compact were in a shop so that I could hold it in my hand!! If I could design the gun, I'd take out 2 rounds and reduce the grip length by 1/2"
Oh well. Getting the compact would mean that I would probably only be comfortable with the pinky extension magazine.

I did get to shoot the M&P 40 for the first time last night. For those who would like to hear my impressions.... I used it first and got a good grouping, before switching to an XD-40. My accuracy went a little downhill after the first magazine, but I still felt most comfortable with the M&P. The trigger pull on the M&P did seem a little long, but my finger placement on the trigger still felt better than with the XD (and worlds better than any Glock). To compare recoil, I think I'd be splitting hairs. However, the lower slide does mean an easier carry for the M&P. Comfort and access to all the "controls" on the M&P was still the best I have felt in a handgun of this type. My fingers easily reached the trigger, mag release, and slide stop.

The M&P is the gun for me, but I still have to decide on the full or compact. I have a feeling that I will have to just buy one (the full-size) and learn to be happy with it. I'm not good at doing that. Thanks to everyone here for all the help and information.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
You can't have too many MP's.....

MP's are like Lays Potato Chips, you can't just have one. Go ahead and get the full sized now and buy the compact later when the summer months are here for easier concealed carry. By then, maybe, the 40 caliber compact will be out.

My next MP will be the 45.

If your friend exposed his gun here in Texas, even with a CHL, he could lose his license to carry if someone complained to the law. Without a CHL he would go to jail. :roll:

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
For a first gun I would recommend a full size, the compact is going to be a little more difficult to control, and that is a prime reason to get the full size, as for concealment, if you can conceal the compact you can conceal the full size version just as easily.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am happy to report that my concealed carry license arrived today. I'm very excited. I will likely be ordering the M&P .40 full-size with night sights tomorrow.... but that compact is still looking pretty tempting 8)

If I order tomorrow, I should have the gun on Friday
Now I really can't wait!! I have told none of my gun-carrying friends (about the gun or even the license), so they will be shocked.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Another well dressed man........

Congratulations on getting your carry lisence!!!!

A word of advise, be careful of who you tell about carrying. Your gun buddies will probably be ok with it, but some sheeple will think you are a nut about to overthrow the government or shoot up a school.

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
Re: Another well dressed man........

TxPhantom said:
Congratulations on getting your carry lisence!!!!

A word of advise, be careful of who you tell about carrying. Your gun buddies will probably be ok with it, but some sheeple will think you are a nut about to overthrow the government or shoot up a school.
I agree.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Another well dressed man........

G56 said:
Me too. It still never hurts to offer the advice, so thanks TxPhantom.

I just called my local gun shop and ordered the M&P .40 full-size, no internal lock, mag safety, and night sights
I should have it tomorrow, but the salesman was hesitant to guarantee that. If I do get it tomorrow, it will be too funny when my gun-friends see me with it this weekend. They don't have a clue yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts