MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any ballistics or other helpful information concerning these JHP's?

Having not decided on a particular SD round, these are the only JHPs I've put through my M&P9.

No problems after about 100 rounds, so until I figure out what "costly" SD round to use, I figure these are better than the Blazer Brass 115gr ball that I've been using for practice.

Latest cost for the Remington's at my nearest Wally is $19.76 for a box of 100.

I also believe they have the 147's too, but I recall reading that you shouldn't rely on 147's for SD ... the article may be dated, but it's not the first time I've heard it said, so I opted for the 115's.

I've always heard good things about the 115 GRAIN FEDERAL 9BPLE, however, I noticed it on Ammoman.com, and it was +P+ which is a no-no for the M&P.

I wasn't worried over the ammo I had until I saw the thread about the homeowner who died defending himself, while the BG survived with several hits from the homeowner. Perhaps he was using ball ammo instead of JHP?

Anyway, whatever comments you have, I'd sure like to know!

Best Regards,

Cet.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
If it was any good, I would know about it as I try to keep up with that stuff.

Regarding that homeowner vs. intruder shooting, I think the main problem was that the homeowner's shots missed vital areas, or at least did not damage them enough to make him DRT. The OP in that thread indicated he was alive thanks to their efforts.

I carefully choose my SD ammo. Could I achieve the same result with FMJ, maybe since a miss is a miss and a hit is a hit, but nevertheless I want every edge I can get.

There is nothing wrong with good 147gr 9mm rounds.

I would recommend you choose one of the loads listed here: http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tact...c;f=78;t=000964 and if you're feeling really frisky, use the search function on that forum and read as much as you can about terminal ballistics.

·
Registered
29 Posts
9mm Speer Gold Dot 124gr. +P HP Ammo

Ammo to Go has 9mm Speer Gold Dot 124gr. +P HP ammo by the 50 round box for $20.95 or 500 rounds $204.95.

http://ammunitiontogo.com/

·
Registered
326 Posts
Re: 9mm Speer Gold Dot 124gr. +P HP Ammo

doctork11 said:
Ammo to Go has 9mm Speer Gold Dot 124gr. +P HP ammo by the 50 round box for $20.95 or 500 rounds $204.95.

Does anyone know where "ammunition to go" shipping from and if they have a brick and mortar store? I have to say 50rds of 9mm Speer +P 124gr ammo at 20.95 seems too good to be true. Has anyone ordered from them?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got the site off of the Glock board. Their address is:

Ammunition To Go

6360 FM 50

Brenham, TX 77833

Ph. 979-277-9676

I have seen several people on the Glock board that had ordered from them. I didn't see any complaints.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I ordered 10 boxes and they arrived today. Fast shipping.

·
Registered
49 Posts
With regards to "ammunitiontogo.com" I ordered 5 cases (5000 rounds) of a mix of 9mm, 40, and 45 ACP range ammo yesterday. Received an email that items have shipped with an ETA of Sept. 5th. Great selection and painless ordering process. Plus, they didn't need a copy of my driver's license at all, unlike some other places.

ps: I'll probably have to give the poor UPS guy a hand in unloading off his truck.

·
Site Staff
9,636 Posts
Best ammo in the world won't help unless you hit them in the right spot! That's why it's so important to practice!

·
Registered
70 Posts
A modern 147 grain JHP is fine, particularly if you want to shoot a standard pressure round. Speer Gold Dot and Winchester Ranger seem to be good performers in that weight. Federal HST expands aggressively, but I worry about penetration in a subsonic round that expands that quickly.

Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +p and Winchester Ranger 127 grain +p+ are very popular with LE and the agencies using those loads report excellent results.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Re: 9mm Speer Gold Dot 124gr. +P HP Ammo

czydj said:
[quote name='doctork11']Ammo to Go has 9mm Speer Gold Dot 124gr. +P HP ammo by the 50 round box for $20.95 or 500 rounds $204.95.

Does anyone know where "ammunition to go" shipping from and if they have a brick and mortar store? I have to say 50rds of 9mm Speer +P 124gr ammo at 20.95 seems too good to be true. Has anyone ordered from them?[/quote]

Ill second ammunition to go also I ordered some ammo from them they had fast shipping and some great prices Ill be ordering a lot of ammo from them

·
Registered
403 Posts
I use the 115 Rem from Walmart for cheap stockpile of 9mm HPs. They did relatively well in wetpack and waterjugs for me and its is reliable and accurate in my guns. The problem is that it is so DANG dirty! It really gunks up your guns. I switched to the WWB and it was much cleaner. I think the WWB is a good, cheap option but I agree with the others to find one of the major premium HPs and use them for self defense. Most important though is to practice, practice, practice and make sure whatever shot you shoot counts.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yesterday I was at the pistol range as it was getting dark. I fired off about two magazines of the UMC 115gr JHPs. The fireball was a good six inches in diameter. The guy who operates the range walked about 50 yards over to me to comment about the fireball. I also fired some WWB 147gr JHP. It has a bit more push when you shoot it but very little muzzle flash. It is also much cleaner burning. I'm switching to the WWB.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Fabius said:
A modern 147 grain JHP is fine, particularly if you want to shoot a standard pressure round. Speer Gold Dot and Winchester Ranger seem to be good performers in that weight. Federal HST expands aggressively, but I worry about penetration in a subsonic round that expands that quickly.

9mm Fed 147 gr JHP HST (P9HST2) from G17:

Bare Gel: vel=1037f/s, pen=11.9”, RD=0.64”, RW=147.8gr

4 layer denim: vel=1049f/s, pen=14.7”, RD=0.54”, RW=147.5gr

auto windshield: vel=1042 f/s, pen=13.4”, RD=0.53”, RW=140.4gr

It doesn't seem to have that big of an issue with penetration.

MI_Jester

(statistics from www.tacticalforums.com )

1 - 20 of 20 Posts