MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up a brand new M&P 40c tommorrow evening, I love getting a new piece. I intend to use this as a CCW and am interested in getting opinions here on the optimum bullet weight to use in this weapon. I'm gonna run some Winchester White Box 165gr from Wally World thru it first to get things loosened up and seated properly. Then I'm gonna do the comparison shootout between some defensive loads.

I'm interested if any of you guys, or gals, have noticed a particular weight bullet being more accurate than others. This is the first compact pistol I've owned and not sure what to expect out of a 3.5" barrel. All my other pistols are full size guns with 5" barrels. I've found with them the different weights don't make a lot of difference as far as accuracy from 25yds. or less. I prefer the midrange weights as a rule because you get higher velocities with higher muzzle energy. Also does .40S&W come in +P loads and will the Smith handle these loads?

I've trolled around this site for a while now gathering info before I bought, thanks to all for that. You've got a nice site here that I'm sure I will use extensively in the future.

Shabo

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
First, there is no +P or +P+ types in .40 S&W. Second, I reload for practice ammo and competition ammo, definitely not for carry ammo. My advice is to find a really good "major" brand ammo for carry. The reasons for this, for me, are that the parts for good carry ammo cost alot more and "they" have done all the work and research for you!! Third, I like the 180gr bullet family for its ability to be accurate and I can load it soft or hard. JMHO

Good luck :wink:

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
dbshabo said:
Then I'm gonna do the comparison shootout between some defensive loads.
I assume you mean for accuracy. Generally speaking, the round is going to go where you want it, there's not going to be that much variation. I would be more concerned with JHP performance (reliable expansion, adequate penetration, etc.). My choice is the Winchester Ranger RA40T 180gr .

I'm interested if any of you guys, or gals, have noticed a particular weight bullet being more accurate than others. This is the first compact pistol I've owned and not sure what to expect out of a 3.5" barrel. All my other pistols are full size guns with 5" barrels.
Considering .40 loads are made for a 4" barrel you're not giving up that much with your 3.5".

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
599 Posts
bullet wt.

I load 155gr FP bullets with 5.5grs Win 231. About 1000-1050 fps. Very accurate

out of my full size MP, and all my guns,XD, SW 4040. One police training officer I work

with said Check with local PD's and see what they carry. Then test some for yourself.

He felt if the PD's used it ,it could help you in court if you had to stop a threat. My $.02

·
Registered
692 Posts
I am using 135 gr. Federal EFMJ (Expanding Full Metal Jacket) in .40 S&W as my SD load. I picked this up on recommendation of an avid ballistics buff at my range. I plan on doing a wet-pack test for expansion and penetration as soon as I can. I'll post the results if I actually ever get to do it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
choochboost said:
I assume you have the option of using JHPs in Ohio, unlike NJ where EFMJ is a popular fall-back. If you're comparing true ballistics you will be better off with a high end JHP.

At this point this decision is based on advice from a local shooting buff who touts EFMJ over HydraShock and the legalese description from the mfgr.(less bias from a jury if it is ever an issue?)

As I said, I plan on doing some comparison testing with it and Speer's GoldDot JHP and possibly MagTech's JHP which I like for my BUG, a KelTec P32. I have recently seen another thread related to this topic and see that consistent results may not be there for the EFMJ. I'll run a 20 shot test with all brands that I test, hopefully soon. As long as POC is close to POA at 30' and the penetration/expansion are acceptable and reliable, I'll probably stick with the 135 gr. EFMJ.

·
Registered
341 Posts
choochboost said:
I assume you have the option of using JHPs in Ohio, unlike NJ where EFMJ is a popular fall-back.

luvmy40 said:
At this point this decision is based on advice from a local shooting buff who touts EFMJ over HydraShock and the legalese description from the mfgr.(less bias from a jury if it is ever an issue?)

2 reasons I went with the EFMJ over a hollow point for the home. I figured if I ever did have to use it in a intruder a EFMJ won't penetrate like a FMJ and won't end up in the neighbors house, plus if someone tries using the hollow points against me (I hate this state) legally .... not that it should really matter :roll:

That and I've heard/read that a hollow point could clog (thick clothing, drywall, whatever) and basically fail to expand and act as a FMJ. Which brought me back to the ending up in the neighbors house thing again.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Just like poor JHP, EFMJ can and often does fail to expand. It's performance is substandard compared to top of the line JHP.

From Shep Kelly, former LE rep for Federal:

As with any ammunition product, what happens during the R&D stage and what happens in the actual production of millions of rounds stage, can be quite different. The EFMJ is dependent on velocity - needs to be at the upper end of the SAAMI envelope in all calibers, and the rubber/silicon used in the nose plug, coupled with the internal/external jacket scoring has to be 'just right' for it to work the way it was designed and did in initial testing. Tremendous concept! A bit tricky to consistently execute.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
341 Posts
seems no ammo is "perfect" ..... at least I still have to legal aspect to back m reasoning :roll:

----------------

luvmy40 ..... if you do get around to testing post the results, wouldn't mind seeing what you discover.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I agree with Choochboost and carry Winchester Ranger 180gr. JHP's in my .40. After trying them on Milk bottles, phone books and 2x4's with sheetrock attached. I am satisfied they will do as good as can be expected from these tools.

I was able to achieve .75 inch 3 shot groups at 15 yards from sandbag rest using them in my XD40 5 inch. Don't have my M&P40 yet but will soon. :twisted:

·
Registered
692 Posts
EFMJ

I have not been able to do any testing on the expansion yet but I have put a couple mags of EFMJ 135gr. downrange and POC is consistantly 4" low at 10yds as compared to 180gr FMJ with 5 gr. Red Dot load. I don't have a chrono, but I have to assume (I know!) that the 135gr EFMJ is substantially higher velocity.

That being said, What is the "Best" JHP round available in .40?

I realize this is liable to spark an opinion war, but opinions are what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
The "BEST" bullet is very objectionable.

But the Ranger T 180 and Gold Dot 180 are consistent top performers.

·
Registered
69 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
The "BEST" bullet is very objectionable.

But the Ranger T 180 and Gold Dot 180 are consistent top performers.

Agreed, and the new Federal HST 180 seems to be rapidly gaining in popularity as well

1 - 15 of 15 Posts