MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent my m&p in for warranty work for a broken striker and they replaced my isim recoil spring and stainless guide rod with the factory one. they didn't even send me my spring of rod back. I spent about $35 or $40 bucks for that stuff. pluse they put the mag safety back in and replaced my sear deactivation lever with a strait one that i can't even reach with out somthing to flip it down. Whats up with that? They had my phone number they could of called me.

On a good note it only took a week and they did replace my striker. I'm suprised they didn't replace my after market sights with the factory ones. If your gonna send your pistol in take every thing off it that ain't factory.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just got thru looking at it some more and I think they got rid of my Burell trigger job also.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Call them, and say something.

More than likely they changed out the sear housing to do the safety lock, and the tech prolly thought the guide rod broke.

By changing out the sear and stuff it took out the trigger job.

Call them and lady.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Warning, noob question...

Are guns like many other consumer products, like cars, electronics, etc. where the factory warranty is voided if the item has been modified, a little or a lot?

If it were the case with S&W, then I could see them sending the gun back as soon as they saw non-oem parts, but to service it by replacing custom parts/smithing with oe parts is a bit puzzling. Regardless, thanks for posting your experience and hope it turns out ok.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it might have somthing to do with liability on the mag safety but couldn't they just put it back in without changing the whole sear houseing. As far as recoil spring and guide rod are concerned those are consitered consumable items. It would be like your car dealer refusing to warenty your car because you have after market tires and rims on it.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I have sent them an M&P without the mag. disconnect, aftermarket sights, and the first generation take down lever. This arrived back to me with only the requested parts changed. In my opinion, the only reason they would have done this is if they believed it to be linked to the problem it was sent in for. After dealing with Smith numerous times, I would bet that they thought they were helping you out. Don't get me wrong though, this situation does suck.

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
For as long as I can remember their standard policy is that if there is anything that isn't stock, they will change it back to stock, never send them a gun with non stock springs or special grips etc, you most likely WON'T get them back. That used to be spelled out in the owner's manual, I didn't look but I bet it's still there.

That policy goes back 40 years that I know of, and I bet it goes back a lot longer than that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did you remove the mag disconnect yourself I'm assuming?

I have a brand new MP9 without a mag disconnect or int lock...would be weird if they put one in? :?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Chessie724 said:
Warning, noob question...

Are guns like many other consumer products, like cars, electronics, etc. where the factory warranty is voided if the item has been modified, a little or a lot?

If it were the case with S&W, then I could see them sending the gun back as soon as they saw non-oem parts, but to service it by replacing custom parts/smithing with oe parts is a bit puzzling. Regardless, thanks for posting your experience and hope it turns out ok.

Warranty coverage can't be denied for a modification unless the modification lead to the propblem.

See th magnussen-moss act for details.

However, that doesn't prevent them from returning an item to completely stock specs.

·
Registered
134 Posts
When I sent in mine for a broken ejector I sent a note informing them I had a trigger job and I only wanted them to replace the broken components to preserve the money I had put into the gun.

I got it back without the mag I sent them, but they honored my other requests and only replaced the ejector.

·
Registered
97 Posts
That is very concerning for me... as they could potentially replace the trigger bar, return spring and sear assemblies for us MA folks that brought back our guns to normal!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was just letting everyone know. It might be better to include a list of any modifications you have made. But then again you run the risk of them not honering the warrenty. I think S&W knows some people customize there guns to get better performance out of them and shouldn't have a problem with that. O well thats the way it goes sometimes. Happy shooting folks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if I would of been better off having a Mag safety. Seems like an easy way to disarm the gun in one quick motion for various reasons.

·
Registered
270 Posts
G56 said:
For as long as I can remember their standard policy is that if there is anything that isn't stock, they will change it back to stock, never send them a gun with non stock springs or special grips etc, you most likely WON'T get them back.

I believe Ruger and CZ are the same way.

--

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts