MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods please move this if it is unappropriated, but I wanted this to be somewhere it would be read.

I had an unexpected surprise at my local gunsmith this week that I wanted pass along. I went to have my night sights switched from my 45 to my 40. Simple right? Wrong. I went to pick up my pistols and the gunsmith wanted $40 a piece ($80 total) for the job.

I asked what the deal was and he said that he removed the rear sight on one of the guns and "springs went flying." He said it was a huge pain to remove the rear sighs on both guns and would not budge on the price. I have heard nothing but great things about this smith so I was a bit surprised and thought I was getting screwed.

Turns out he was right and his prices might be a bit high, but not far off the mark. I could only find a couple of threads on this issue. It may be well known to most M&P fans, but certainly not to me. I wanted to give some heads-up to others who though they would get a good deal on a regular sight version and then have their smith put in some night sights for cheap. It might cost you more than you realize!

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?...ight=rear+sight

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?...ight=rear+sight

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Sorry you got the shaft but I did mine myself and as long as you look and work at the same time you would be able to catch the spring

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Yep, been there done that. Sounds like the firing pin block cap and spring launched on him.

I have somebody cup their hands over the back sight or hold a cloth over the back sight if I am tapping it out to catch the little spring and cap that hides under the back sight. It's easier to put back together also with two people unless you have octopus hands.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
This "gunsmith" was careless and wants you to pay for his mistake, you will probably just have to chalk this one up to experience, I certainly wouldn't darken his door again.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Ditto what others have said. Your "gunsmith" clearly didn't know anything about the gun he was working on and couldn't even be bothered to look at a schematic. Using the rear sight to contain a firing pin safety isn't even unique to the M&P. I'd demand my money back ... and find a new 'smith.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had never been to this guy before, but he has a very good reputation locally. I made it clear that I thought he was out of line and I would not be back.

Another life's lessons I guess...

ALWAYS get a quote before agreeing to have work done! Hell, he could have at least called after he took off first one to make sure I wanted to pay him nearly $100 to swap sights out!

Maybe he'll buy something nice for himself for Christmas :roll:

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
TAC said:
[quote name='98z28']I had never been to this guy before, but he has a very good reputation locally.

Maybe you need to alter his reputation!
[/quote]agreed if you tried to work with him about the price and he never even admitted it was his fault I would sing like a canary around the shooting community

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Had he simply spent 60 seconds looking at the schematic in the manual and readily available on line he would have known how it was put together.

But, no, he is a talented Smith and doesn't need no stinking schematic.

Spread the word.

:twisted:

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
What the FUDGE! He is a gunsmith and didn't know this! I use a plastice bag and haven't lost anything yet (one did try to fly away on me though).

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I'd be sure to spread the word that keeping track of a couple springs is above this guys skill level, or at least below his standards for care and quality in work.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Lets see guys;

The gunsmith is basically doing a sight installation on 2 separate guns. Thats 4 dovetails he needs to be knocking sights out of.

While he's an idiot for not looking to see it theres some kind of striker block safety (all he would have had to do is look at the plunger on the underside of the slide), no need for a schematic, a lot of guns have this type of safety.

I dont think that $20 per sight ($80) is excessively high considering its all labor for the gunsmith; its not like he sold them a set of sights.

But ,if he normally charges a lesser price, and jacked it up, like you said, thats stupid, he must have owed his bookie that week.

$10-15 per dovetail ($40-60) is more reasonable of a charge for the work.

·
Registered
264 Posts
That stinks. Sorry you got ripped off. $80 for less than 15 minues work, now them is some serious wages. Where do I sign up.

Sorry mike, but even with a simple punch and hammer I was able to swap out my sights in 10 minutes. With a sight pusher it would have been cake. Sounds like dumbo didnt realize that there was a plunger under the sight, which in all honesty I too would have lost had I not done some research before doing the swap. Cant think of many common guns that use the rear sight, probably the most common accessory replaced, to hold a spring loaded plunger in place. But then I am no gunsmith.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Mike -- I don't think the issue is that he charged $80. The issue is that he made it sound like the reason he charged $80 was because he had a hard time doing the work ... a hard time that was the result of his own inexperience. As you said, using the rear sight to capture internal parts & springs isn't unique to the M&P. A gunsmith who isn't aware of at least the possibility isn't a very good gunsmith. A gunsmith who then upcharges his customer to cover his own mistake isn't a very good person.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
The guy that put my sights on tried to use a glock sight installer and had a bear of a time
I wonder why, once he figured it out he still only charged me $20 bucks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts