MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I’m going to keep this short and sweet since everyone else has done such a good job with the reviews. I like the Warren rear sight very much. My favorite thing about it is the angle of the rear face when paired with the matte finish of the Warren. The angle of the rear face is opposite of the stock sight. It doesn’t have as pretty of a profile since the stock sight matches the rear of the slide, but it looks much better from the back (where it really counts anyway). The Warren rear disappears when you hold it up at a firing position. It reflects no light toward you and lets you focus on the front sight much much better.

One of the downsides to the Warren rear that I found;

I have a hard time leaving both eyes open while aiming. This is something that I just started doing anyway so I can go back to one-eyed shooting easily. I like the idea of having both eyes open better though. When I try to aim with both eyes open (w/ the Warren rear) I have a hard time telling whether the front sight is in between the notch or beside the sight altogether.

This might be due to the bit of an optical illusion created by the Warren rear. I’m not sure I can even explain it very well. The front sight is so contrasted by the rear now that it is just plain weird at first. It’s almost like I can’t tell whether the front sight is one inch away or one foot away. It is not a drawback (I like it a lot) but it is a bit strange at first. It really made me realize how much time I spent looking at the stock rear sight (even if only in my peripheral). The stock rear’s contours make it catch and reflect light at you. The warren rear does the exact opposite.

Install of the Warren rear was a piece of cake. Taking off the stock rear however was a complete PITA. I marred my stock sight up real good with the brass punch I was using. A sight pusher comes highly recommended in hindsight. The new rear slid right in with no “persuading” (read: hammering) and it was not too loose either. I just put it in the middle of the slide to start with and never had to move it. I know that there is no "magic" part or ammo for guns but when I take my time, my groups are quite a bit better with this sight. My flies went away (probably me, not the sight) and the size of 7 yard groups shrank by about 1” (not including the old flies). I can’t get on target quite as fast with this sight just yet. It seems like I used to be able to just point with the old sight and be “close enough”. This sight picture begs for more accuracy. I think a little practice will solve that quickly. After just 5-10 draw practices my time went way down and confidence went way up.

Some people like it and some people don’t. I think it was well worth my money.

Thanks a million to Jester for allowing us to participate in such a wonderful program.

I wouldn’t have bought this sight otherwise. Now I’m a happy man knowing that I spent money on something that I definitely like instead of gambling.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I figured out my "slow sight picture" problem. I'm not sure when this happened but I started bending my arm at the elbow more when in a firing position. Any time I unholster the M&P (going to bed, shower etc) I get one more practice at drawing and getting a quick sight picture. Please don't post and say that you never point a loaded weapon at a wall and I shouldn't either. It's my house and I always point to a good backstop (outside in case the unfortunate were to happen). So anyway I decided to take a better look at why my aim is off when drawing and hurrying to get a good POI (as opposed to leisurely aiming). I tried going to a straight right arm (strong hand) and immediately was dead on the spot I picked ahead of time. That is to say that I picked a spot on the wall, drew and aimed as fast as possible. I went to a straight arm firing stance instead of bent at the elbow, dead nuts.

FYI in case anyone else out there had the same problem.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I like that practice method, i can drop the mag first then try since i have the mag disconnect. Great review, helps alot to read personal experience. I'm still torn on this or the Dan Burwell sights!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts