MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a box of Blazer 9mm 115g today from a small, family owned gun shop. Was running short on range ammo and could not find any 9mm. Everyone is out, or so they said.

I looked at them at home and they seem dirty and more marked up than the box of Rangeline I had bought where I shoot. The Rangeline I bought before I sent my 9EZ back to S&W for misfeed issues. About 5-6 weeks ago.

Not sure if you can tell much from the individual rounds. But, the Blazers seem more marked up. They are definitely dirtier. Some even came off on my hand and you can see the dirt on the Kleenex. Rangeline seem more pristine.

1st pic is both side by side and shows, I hope, the cleaner look of the Rangeline

2nd, 6th, and 7th are the Blazer showing the dirty ends and a Kleenex that I wiped the ends off with.

3rd and 4th are the Blazer and 5th is the Rangeline. Not sure you can tell anything from the pics. But, to my eyes the Rangeline are cleaner, less marred looking. Especially on the casings.

Since, I am new to this not sure if there is any issue with the Blazer. I know they are reloadable and maybe the gun shop bought them that way. But, would assume if they are reloads he should identify them as such.

I will show these to my shooting range on my next visit and see what they say. Also, make sure I can shoot reloads there.

Comments welcome----

Thanks

Also, where do you guys buy ammo now with the shortages. Any good online shops?

9mm Lugar 115g round nose and Hornady 115g Critical Defense is what i am settling in with.

I am going to relook at a local Olde English Outfitters on Monday. Had good luck there for my range ammo and the Hornady Critical Defense 115g. They had a line of 15 people waiting to get inside today. So, I passed them up.

IMG_1825.jpeg IMG_1826.jpeg IMG_1827.jpeg IMG_1828.jpeg IMG_1829.jpeg IMG_1830.jpeg IMG_1831.jpeg

·
Registered
514 Posts
True new Blazer brass ammo is absolutely clean and pristine. I have to think these are reloads and not particularly carefully done ones either. The dirt in the headstamp engraving would never be there in new factory ammo.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Smith Shooter

My thoughts exactly. Can they be sold that way? I don’t want to get into an argument with a gun shop on this. But, don’t want to shoot faulty ammo. The box itself looked like it had been opened a couple times. If I think it is safe, and I will show it too my shooting rangefolks, I may just chalk it up to “another” learning experience when buying ammo.

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Could just be that the new Blazer ammo was stored under less than ideal conditions.

I reload, and bought new Hornady empty brass for such recently.

I noticed after running them through my carbide resizing die for the first time, that there were some VERY FINE scratch lines along the length of the case in some places, that might be one way to tell if they were reloaded (resized) or not.

Could also just mean that my die is a little dirty too though.

Another way might be to examine the entire inside rear circumference of the extractor groove of the case closely, looking for a mark where an extractor had pulled the fired round from the chamber.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will look at that. Not sure my eyes are good enough to tell though. Lol

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
At 62 my eyes are horrible!

At least that's the excuse I use when my groups suck.

Try using a powerful magnifying glass with some good lighting.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As Captain Kirk once said “Officer Thinking” Lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
Another idea is to pull one bullet from a case and see if it is pristine inside, or if there is burned powder residue in there,

My cases show residue inside even after tumbling.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok Thanks

Not sure I could do that. But have a friend very experienced that could do that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just to give you an idea of what you would be looking for if you decide to pull a bullet to determine whether or not you have reloads, case on the left is unused and the case on the right has been used only once and well polished in a tumbler.

As you can see, even after only one firing, the difference is quite obvious,

Of course if you decide to pull a bullet with some pliers, and not a real bullet puller, you will destroy both the bullet and the case, but it is a sure way to determine if you have reloads or not.

Well worth the sacrifice of one round for peace of mind IMO.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the belief is that they are reloads, what do you think I should do?

Doubt they will take them back.

Ask who reloaded them?

Shoot, not shoot?

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
If the belief is that they are reloads, what do you think I should do?...
Belief is not proof, but if you do determine after careful examination that they are in fact reloads, and the shop won't refund your money, toss them in the trash.

I've seen people at gun shows buying bagged reloaded ammo from "Joe Bob" and they are flippin' CRAZY!

Unless they are reloads from a reputable company like Black Hills, I wouldn't dare risk blowing my face off.
Did the unknown reloader just polish off a 5th of whisky before sitting down at the bench?

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks

I was going by your last post with the inside casing pics. Assume if mine were not clean like the one on the left they are reloads.

So, my pics aren't definitive?

Some of the casings are pretty marked up. My pics don't show that. Black marks.

Guess I will show them to a friend and the range where I shoot.

I can call and ask him were he got them. No guaranty he will be honest.

I also don't know if how he sold them to me was legal. Not identifying them as reloads. Or, my fault for not inspecting them before buying.

Like I said earlier, I keep learning----

Thanks Again

·
Registered
48 Posts
Upon closer examination they do look reloaded!

I use dirty powders like Bullseye and Unique, so a good amount of residue is there even after just one use.
But I do see what looks to be residue in there to me!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yea, I viewed your pictures, and the cases looked unused, judging from what I could see.

I then went back and realized that I could have clicked on them and they would enlarge,

And when I did that...

New factory ammunition would look like my case on the left inside, unless they recovered it from the RMS Titanic or something.

I would say those are reloads.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts