MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, after my first time out to the range I put about 300 rounds of 115gr UMC through my new full size 9 and 20 Hydrashock and the gun shoots like a dream...right on target. Today wasnt without some problems: Three seperate FTF's and twice the slide didnt lock back after the final round. The ftfs were with both magazines, but the two times it didnt lock back were with the same magazine. I examined them both but couldnt tell any difference. Is this just a breaking in period, or should I be worried about this. From searching, it seems like most have 300+ rounds with no failures, and I couldnt find any info on the slide failing to lock back.

One final question, how far do the spent casings eject on yours? I ended up with almost half of the hot brass either hitting my arms or on my shoulders; and this has never happened with any other gun I have fired. Is this normal or do I have a limp wristed extractor?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more thing to add, I had dry fired it about 2-300 times with snap caps and while I was just cycling the slide to rechamber another round, it wouldnt extract the last snap cap, thus resulting in the gun trying to feed a round with one still in the chamber.

E

·
0 Posts
Just clean it, it should work fine. Mines got a few stove pipes right off the bat. After a few cleaning sessions with Blue Wonder, they are now pretty non-existant.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Love these pistols but the only one with a strong extractor is my .40 full size. My full and compact 9mm barely do more than lob them out. I've got SIG's that will nail the guy 10 ft down and land in a nice tidy pile. It is one of the pistol's weak areas and assume as a first year production will be tweaked.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cleaned it when I first brought it home; then again before the range and still had those two ftfs.

Any ideas about the magazine problem?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Revision N

·
Registered
17 Posts
i had the same extractor problem with my 9 today. after about 100? rounds they were hitting me on the arms, shoulders, face and even a few on top of my head. what gets me is if i manually cycle the slide with a loaded magazine every shell flies way out to the side of me instead of at me. i am lost as to what is causing this.

·
Site Staff
9,615 Posts
That can be caused by weak ammo, the UMC (generic ammo) might be suspect, the failure to lock the slide back is a good clue to weak ammo.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Yep combo of weak ammo and weak wrists. My wife gets the same hot brass in the face when shooting my Gamey loads. I even tried to shape the ejector but to no avail I bumped up the load and now they are getting out to the right better.

I shoot the same loads and I have no problems but any new shooters it causes the same symptoms as you are describing.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been taught to follow the recoil up to the top with my arms and then bring the gun back down and settle out on the target again. Should I be using a stronger grip and try and hold the recoil down? Sorry for the newb question.

Would the weak ammo also cause the slide not to lock back on the final round on only one mag or is there a chance it is a problem with the mag?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I don't like the terms stronger grip or holding recoil down as these lead to tension in your shooting and tension is killer on accuracy and speed. People will start strangling the gun and flinching trying to "keep it down". Just need some hotter ammo or firmer wrists.

Also as the recoil spring wears in a bit this is likely to go away.

Remember they use the same recoil spring for both the 40 and the 9, so weak 9s may have ejection problems.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
jbparrothd21 said:
I have been taught to follow the recoil up to the top with my arms and then bring the gun back down and settle out on the target again. Should I be using a stronger grip and try and hold the recoil down? Sorry for the newb question.

Would the weak ammo also cause the slide not to lock back on the final round on only one mag or is there a chance it is a problem with the mag?

For the slide not lccking back, examine the follower compared to the mag you aren't experiencing this with. They should look the same. A dinged up follower can casue such a failure in most guns.

As for your description of handling recoil.. It's very vauge, but sounds a lot like rolling with the recoil like you might use on a magnum revolver. Which with an auto will get you all sorts of feed problems and brass in the face etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts