MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just ahot 200 rounds and already there is weearing on the top of the chamber, (where there is a 45 degree down angke on top)Does anyone else have the same issue?is this a common occurrance?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Yep pretty common occurence, I stole this picture from Helmie (sorry H) but you can see the wear on his in this picture:

Dan

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
you are going to get finish wear on the top of the locking block as there is metal to metal contact. You get it on M&Ps, Glocks, USPs, and probably every other gun with a nice square locking block.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Guess you didn't believe me the 3 times I told you it was normal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i did.. but I was just curious to see if all had the same issue becuase I was told it shouldnt happen so quick on the melonite finish?

·
Registered
378 Posts
U are having a misunderstanding - Tennifer is not black - it is a grayish coating, that actually permeates the metal itself. The black color is an outer carbonized coloring. The black can wear, but the tennifer below will always be there - it supposedly is as hard as diamond.

That being said, Melonite is supposedly about the same finish as tennifer - just under an Americanized name. So, it stands to reason that it is the same principle. What U see wearing is just the outer carbon finish.

ALL semi-autos wear in that area - some more than others. The barrel drops down into the slide, and then scrapes the bottom edge of the metal slide as the action works. My SW99, P99, HK and Glock all have it, as have every other gun I have ever owned. Some show it more pronounced than others. Even when I get slides refinished on my polymer frames guns (I have hard chromed the slide on my P99, P99c and SW99), I don't bother refinishing the barrel. That wear will ALWAYS appear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts