MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just back back from my first range session with my M&P 9. I picked it and 500rds of armscor 9mm up and rushed to the range. I didn't clean it just loaded up the mags and went to town.

I only ran through 250 rds. I had 2 FTF's and 2 FTE's. I induced all 4 malfunctions by placing the backstrap on the knuckle of my thumb and squeezing the trigger with the second knuckle of my index finger. I was only holding with it with enough force to make sure it didn't come out out my hand. basicly limp wristing it. has anybody else tried to induce a failure this way?

my gun is rev N that came with the straight take down lever and black followers in the mags. and has no mag disconnect.

the gun fits my hand like a glove and is accurate. my first round out of the gun connected with a 20oz coke bottle at 40yds.

I'm a die hard glock fan, but I think I'm gonna end up with a couple more M&P's. I'm gonna have to see how it does after 1k rds or so. I think S&W may win back some consumers they lost during the klinton years.....I think I'm one of them

·
Registered
422 Posts
Luvman said:
I just back back from my first range session with my M&P 9. I picked it and 500rds of armscor 9mm up and rushed to the range. I didn't clean it just loaded up the mags and went to town.

I only ran through 250 rds. I had 2 FTF's and 2 FTE's. I induced all 4 malfunctions by placing the backstrap on the knuckle of my thumb and squeezing the trigger with the second knuckle of my index finger. I was only holding with it with enough force to make sure it didn't come out out my hand. basicly limp wristing it. has anybody else tried to induce a failure this way?

my gun is rev N that came with the straight take down lever and black followers in the mags. and has no mag disconnect.

the gun fits my hand like a glove and is accurate. my first round out of the gun connected with a 20oz coke bottle at 40yds.

I'm a die hard glock fan, but I think I'm gonna end up with a couple more M&P's. I'm gonna have to see how it does after 1k rds or so. I think S&W may win back some consumers they lost during the klinton years.....I think I'm one of them

+1

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I hit the 1k rd mark today in 20*F weather. it's been through various factory FMJ, LRN, and my pet carry load 124 gr +p gold dots.

it's had one FTE attributable to the gun. a buddy was shooting wolf ammo at the time. I've induced 3 FTE's and 2 FTF's firing it with near ZERO support. all without the aid of lubrication or cleaning other than what it left the factory with.

accuracy is excellent. hitting bowling pins as far as 80 yds away is easy!!!!

I have 2 complaints. S&W I HOPE YOU'RE LISTENING!!

1 - trigger reset could be more positive.

2 - MAGAZINE PRICE, MAGAZINE PRICE, MAGAZINE AVAILABILITY, MAGAZINE AVAILABILITY, and did I mention MAGAZINE PRICE? I prefer to have a minimum of 10 mags for any pistol I plan to carry. those 10 mags SHOULDN'T cost me more than half what I paid for the gun AND should be readily available!!!

If S&W floods the market with quality and reasonably price mags I for one will retire my Glock 19 for personal protection duty and carry an M&P.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Luvman said:
1 - trigger reset could be more positive.

2 - MAGAZINE PRICE, MAGAZINE PRICE, MAGAZINE AVAILABILITY, MAGAZINE AVAILABILITY, and did I mention MAGAZINE PRICE? I prefer to have a minimum of 10 mags for any pistol I plan to carry. those 10 mags SHOULDN'T cost me more than half what I paid for the gun AND should be readily available!!!

#1 is easily correctable. Do the trigger job on Burwell's site. It'll help the reset tremendously.

#2, I hear ya there...but it's a new gun. Give it some time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw the trigger job instructions. I plan on doing the reset/over travel mod, but I don't want the trigger any lighter. actually I'd be happy if the weight was a touch heavier. believe it or not I shoot better with an 6-8# triggwer than I do with a 3-5# trigger.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Okay, observation, but doesn't the 9mm and the .40 use the same main spring? I tested a 9 and it seemed to have really weak ejection. My .40 flings brass with authority. I can hold it as light as possible without dropping it, attempt to cushion the recoil by retracting my arm while the weapon was cycling, and firing some seriously wimpy reloads.

Am I on to something? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if I had to guess I'd say you're right. the recoil spring seems a bit stout for a 9mm. I was just seeing what it would actually take to make it fail.

keep in mind I didn't lube or clean the gun before it's first 1K rds, AND I was SERIOUSLY limp wristing it. I'm pretty impressed.

the one failure that is the gun's fault was a FTE with wolf ammo in 20*F weather. wolf is known for being under powered and the sub freezing temp didn't help that a bit. neither did the possible .40 cal recoil spring. I know I can trust my life to this pistol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts