·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
West Dallas business owner kills 2 suspected burglars in 3 weeks

09:32 PM CDT on Sunday, October 14, 2007

By MARISSA ALANIS / The Dallas Morning News

[email protected]

A Ledbetter-area business owner fatally shot a suspected burglar Sunday morning – the second time in three weeks that he killed an intruder, Dallas police said.

James Walton, owner of Able Walton Machine & Welding in the 2000 block of Chalk Hill Road in West Dallas, was alerted to the intruder when his motion sensor system activated about 9 a.m. Sunday, police said.

Mr. Walton, who also lives at his business, went downstairs with a shotgun and fired at a man who had broken in. The intruder was later identified by police as Jimmy Gannon of Ferris.

Police said Mr. Walton also noticed another man outside Sunday. Mr. Walton shot and wounded that man. He escaped, but a witness eventually led police to him. The man, whom police did not immediately identify, was questioned by officers Sunday afternoon.

Mr. Gannon, 37, was taken to Methodist Dallas Medical Center, where he died.

Police said Mr. Walton is allowed to protect his property. No charges were filed against him Sunday, though the case will be referred to a grand jury, police said.

"He's got a right to defend his property. What gives a stranger the right to go in and vandalize or burglarize his business?" said Dallas police Sgt. Gene Reyes. "He's within every legal right to do this."

Mr. Walton could not be reached for comment Sunday.

Dallas police Sgt. Andrew Harvey said he doesn't believe anything was stolen from Mr. Walton's business on Sunday.

On Sept. 22, Mr. Walton shot and killed a man he saw climbing through a pried-open window of his business, police said. The intruder was later identified as Raul Laureles. That incident also was referred to a grand jury.

I would personally like to shake this man's hand. Maybe we should take up a collection and offer him a bounty for addition dead BGs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Some people's luck is just amazing.

Sounds just like pizza driver in WI that has gotten robbed 4 times (not that fact they used force, just they get continuiously threatened) and has gotten away with 'illegally' carrying cause he saved his life twice.

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
"He's got a right to defend his property. What gives a stranger the right to go in and vandalize or burglarize his business?" said Dallas police Sgt. Gene Reyes. "He's within every legal right to do this."
It was more than just his business, he lived there, so he was defending his dwelling as well.

Mr. Walton, who also lives at his business,

·
Registered
910 Posts
"Police said Mr. Walton also noticed another man outside Sunday. Mr. Walton shot and wounded that man."

Not quite sure what to think of that.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Based on the limited details, I'm not afraid to admit that even if I could legally do it, I morally couldn't. YMMV.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Poor old fella guy doesn't realize he's going on the record with everything he's saying.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I hope he has her charged with unlawful detainment. I'd love to see someone stand up to these reporters who think they are so high and mighty. Oh to be back in the days of McCarthy....j/j.

·
Registered
660 Posts
This link still works as of right now. I really don't care for the guys tone of voice. It seems like he is more supportive of the reporter. But he also maybe playing devils advocate. (http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=6905). I placed it in parenthesis due to Fox claiming copyright on the tape I don't want the hits being traced directly back to this site.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
In Texas you can shoot someone just for trespassing I believe. I would at least tell them to get the hell out before I shot especially if they didn't have a weapon.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
yeah it would be great to have a drunk accusing innocent people and ruining their lives for his own political gain/ego.

Fire1 said:
I hope he has her charged with unlawful detainment. I'd love to see someone stand up to these reporters who think they are so high and mighty. Oh to be back in the days of McCarthy....j/j.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would like to thank him for keeping 2 men out of prison . . . . . . they're too crowded anyhow.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Fire the camera man also........

I saw this little ambush the night it was broadcast and was outraged at Rebbeca A.'s audacity of asking the man if he intended to shoot to kill. Mr Walton asked the reporterette to not show his face because he was worried about reprisals but the eager camera man managed to get a shot of Mr Mason's face anyway after he had managed to shut his car door and roll up his window. They couldn't care less about the danger they placed him in by these burglar's friends. The camera man should get fired also.

I'm sure both the reporterette and the over eager camera man will have no problem getting a job on any of the many other liberal, drive by media, so called news outlets. :roll:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What this story also doesn't tell you is that the home owner who killed 2 intruders in a 3 week period did so only after becoming frustrated with the Dallas Police Dept. His home/business had been burglarized 42 times in the previous 2 years. He has a 8 foot chain link fence with barbed wire surrounding his property. The scum bags were breaking in and stealing everything in sight, including his surveillance cameras and alarm systems. Out of 44 burglaries and attempted burglaries of his home/business, the Dallas PD has only managed to apprehend the suspect on the last 2 occasions, when the 72 year old home owner used a shotgun to defend himself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts