MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...m&p with mag disconnect over the one without? which of the two is advantageous? i got mine with mag safety last sept for $570 tax inclusive and after a week i saw a carry kit without mag safety in the other gunstore and it's less than $500...

·
Registered
249 Posts
The mag safety just makes it a pain in the a$$. Especially in competition use....

·
Registered
249 Posts
More importantly- how to get rid of it~!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Many police agencies like the idea of being able to hit the mag release button and making the gun inoperable. If an officer gets in a struggle over his gun he can use it as a defense tactic. I DO NOT like it because if I hit the button to do a reload and I need to shoot before I get the mag in, I can.

Also, if you are going to use it in competition, it is a pain to "hammer down" with.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I keep reading about the routine of dropping the mag if involved in a struggle. It appears to me if you have the grip necessary to release the mag you could just as well use the gun for what it is intended.

Am I missing something?

:twisted:

·
Registered
249 Posts
gerk2k said:
thanks for the reply. im not into competition yet, i still have to practice a lot.

Competition is a great way to practice. I have heard that a "B" class competitor in USPSA is above the skill level of most SWAT operators. YMMV :wink:

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
TOF said:
I keep reading about the routine of dropping the mag if involved in a struggle. It appears to me if you have the grip necessary to release the mag you could just as well use the gun for what it is intended.

Am I missing something?

I'm with you TOF. Both scenarios are really big "what-ifs", but I'd rather have the ability to fire magazine-less than render my weapon useless by dropping the mag.

·
Registered
249 Posts
choochboost said:
[quote name='TOF']I keep reading about the routine of dropping the mag if involved in a struggle. It appears to me if you have the grip necessary to release the mag you could just as well use the gun for what it is intended.

Am I missing something?

I'm with you TOF. Both scenarios are really big "what-ifs", but I'd rather have the ability to fire magazine-less than render my weapon useless by dropping the mag.[/quote]

+1

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Many LEO's are not as proficient with a firearm as one would like to think. No offense, but is a matter of fact. If you have ever shot a comp. with some of them you know this to be a fact. There are the Bruce Piatt's too!

Point of the disconnect for some is to render the gun "safe" as to prevent an AD as in the famous DEA incident.

As I said before, I want my gun to go bang when I pull the trigger!

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
The idea that one might need to fire a shot in the middle a reload, while it sounds good, isn't really very practical. In all the years I've studied gunfights, never once have I heard a legitimate story of a shot fired (or needed) in the middle of an in-battery reload.

On the other hand, Smith & Wesson has file cabinets full of testimonials from police officers whose lives were saved because they disabled their pistols (by ejecting the magazine) before the BG could get it and use it against them.

So we have a theoretical tacti-cool capability (shooting in the middle of a reload) versus a proven life-saving capability (ejecting a magazine to prevent being shot with one's own gun).

As for the argument that "if I could eject the mag I could use the gun," all I can say is that one hour of weapons retention training will disprove that theory.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had never really given this much thought; at first glance I just assumed that this was an option made available for those who liked the idea of having one extra safety. Personally one of the reasons I purchased the MP was because it was a striker fire and moved away from the idea of having 3 or 4 external safeties. I can see how the mag drop safety could be used to an officers advantage in a struggle. If it got to the point where the officer felt it was necessary to use this option, I would be willing to bet he was not in the best strategic position anyway, and if it was an intentional reload I would think the gun would be empty…..I guess this is one of those actions in action kind of things.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I prefer a mag safety. My concern is that it could be picked up by my son when I'm sleeping. If I pull the mag from it, the firearm will be safer. Nothing beats proper gun safety training with my son, but I prefer keeping things as safe as possible.

MI_Jester

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i appreciate your inputs gentlemen, thank you so much. i've learned from this forum on how to disable the mag disconnect, and decided to just leave my m&p 9 as is. i have a son who loves toy guns so SAFETY FIRST for me.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
When I bought my M&P, I had a choice between two configurations:

• I didn't want the internal lock, so I went without the mag safety. I'd happily install the mag safety in my gun.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I like the mag safety, it just feels safer to holster with out the mag and then insert it. I did carry a sigma with one in the pipe for about 2 years and never had an issue, so maybe smith and wesson created this scare for me where I feel better holstering knowing I wont put a hot one in my leg or ass!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts