MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for feedback as to what everyone is using to clean the frame parts without damaging the rubber grip. Anyone scrubbing the parts with cleaner and then "hosing" them clean with anything? If so, what are you using to blast the gunk out?

I just don't want to ruin this fine piece of hardware!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I use liquid soap (JOY) hot water. and a tooth brush then blow dry with 100psi air or hair dryer. Soap removes the grease and water removes carbon and un-burned powder.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PosseLaw said:
I use liquid soap (JOY) hot water. and a tooth brush then blow dry with 100psi air or hair dryer. Soap removes the grease and water removes carbon and un-burned powder.

You're kidding? Right?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Well my M&P is still in the function testing phase where I let it get dirty to see if fouling will cause failures before 1000 rounds.

In gnereal for polymer framed guns, I put come CLP on a patch or a q-tip and use that to clean the frame.

·
Registered
45 Posts
KI4LIV said:
[quote name='PosseLaw']I use liquid soap (JOY) hot water. and a tooth brush then blow dry with 100psi air or hair dryer. Soap removes the grease and water removes carbon and un-burned powder.

You're kidding? Right?
[/quote]

I second that.....Your Are Kidding Right!?

Although, it is a ploymer frame, it still has metal parts. Common sense would tell one not to use H2O activated soap along w/ H2O to clean metal parts. There are tight spots where u can't completely get the water or soap out of it. Especially that small piece of cloth inside the M&P trigger spring will soak up the water and soap.

There are many other more sensible althernatives. I usually use Break Free's CLP if you really want to soak something in. It is not a very strong solvent, it not only clean, it also lubricate and drive out any remanent of moisture to keep it protected. Thus the name CLP.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm not trying to impose my way of cleaning firearms. There are many fine products on the market for the purpose. That said, I've been cleaning numerous types for 33 years in soap and water, then dried, followed by copious quantities of ED"S RED. On the lighter side of things, I serve on Sheriff's Marine Patrol, where salt water spray is a major concern. My duty carry is a P220 and back-up is a S&W stub-nose 38 Special in a ankle holster Each is cleaned after every patrol, never a failure, on duty, on range or during training. Tks for your concern.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
soap and water is fine, I have used it, Not anymore, but I have. you just have to pay more attn to lubrication.

·
Registered
373 Posts
There are some of the Gunscrubber type aerosol cleaners out for synthetic/polymer frames, I'm sure they'd be safe if you meant something to blast out crud. Otherwise, I'll use the same old MPro7 for cleaning.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Simple Green - I've got a full bottle of it in the closet... Anyone think that's a bad idea?

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
KI4LIV said:
Simple Green - I've got a full bottle of it in the closet... Anyone think that's a bad idea?

will work fine, just make sure you oil it well.

hoppes works fine, topped with remoil or CLP.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My cleaning process goes like this: simple green on frame, bore cleaner or clp on everything else, hoppes oil when finished. Never had a problem with any of my firearms.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guys,

Simple Green did the trick NICELY!

It did leave a fine milky-white film on the frame though that went away when I wiped over it with a silicon rag.

Killed the smell of gun oil that I love though :?

·
Registered
415 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was at the shop yesterday looking for something other than Simple Green to clean with.. Simple Green left a nasty smokey-white film on the frame... I've been rubbing it down with a silicon rag daily and it's slowly coming off, but as much as I'd enjoy rubbing it down every day, I don't have the time! (LOL WOW that could really be taken out of context!!!) .

I was reading the side of the CLP Powder Blaster and it says that it may harm some plastics.... hmmmm... dare I risk it?

I got to talking to the owner of the shop and he has some polymer safe gun scrubber on order - guess I'll wait until that comes in..

Besides, simple green is water based - I'm thinking that something water based just isn't a good idea..

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I still use hoppes something or other with remoil, no harm no foul.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I generally use Blue wonder gel for cleaning, and Blue Wonder Disotec oil.. those products have worked marvelously for me.

For my rifles, I primarily use Hobbs #9 solvent for the cleaner. It comes in a great big bottle, and is relatively inexpensive.

Raymond

1 - 20 of 45 Posts