MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am trying to see what caliber the Shield was originally made in or made for ? The Glock was orginaly made for the 9mm cartridge and when the .40S&W came along , Glock just put in a bigger barrel , extractor , ejector, and an extra pin the locking block. I am trying to see if S&W made it for the 40 and then "whittled" it down for the 9mm. Any information is appreciated.

·
Registered
56 Posts
To my knowledge it was 9mm. I have no documentation to support that but I believe I read that the 40 came after the 9 and I know that the 45 came much later. It was the predecessor to the 2.0 series of pistols.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The first shield I remember was a .40 with a safety, it had a 5 month waiting list in the metro Detroit area.
At that time I was shooting .40 and .45 so I wasn't looking at 9's.
I'm thinking the 9 came after the .40 but I'm only about 80% certain.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For some reason I was thinking the 40 was the first one too. The reason I made this post was wondering if the Shield was "made" around the .40S&W cartridge ? If so then it should be able to run a large amount of rounds through it without much wear.

Reactions: Super Trucker

·
Registered
193 Posts
9 & 40, and all Gen 1's were equipped with a thumb safety.

·
Registered
698 Posts
The First Shields, back in 2012, were released in BOTH 9mm and .40.
When I got mine in April of '12, I had the choice of either caliber and considered getting one of each.

As Donn mentioned, the originals only came with Manual Thumb Safety... No option for NTS.

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
The original M&P platform was initially designed/developed for the .40 S&W round; the M&P.40. next released was the M&P9, followed shortly thereafter by the original compact models, the 9c and .40c.

The first Shields I saw down here were the Shield 9s, but that doesn’t mean that they were the first ones developed. I don’t know, but if S&W followed their original design development protocols; it would have been a Shield.40.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Smith & Wesson has been designing their semiautomatic pistols are the .40 S&W cartridge since the original Smith & Wesson Sigma SW40F back in 1994, so I imagine that the Shield is no exception.

A lot of folks actually dislike S&W semiautomatic pistols because their pistols tend to be heavier than other 9mm pistols because they're designed around .40 S&W. The Shield is also heavier than most other pistols of its type, so they likely indicates that it was also originally designed for .40 S&W.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just another guesser, but I thought the release was 40 & 9 simultaneously, with design based first around the 40. I have a 40 Gen1 without safety and a Gen 1 45 with safety. No 9's for me

1 - 9 of 9 Posts