MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The M&P45 has a longer sight radius then the M&P9. It can shoot in SSP and CDP in IDPA. It also shoots Major in USPSA and fits easily as a L10 and Production gun. It would be competing against 1911's in some of the classes, has a shorter barrel, lighter gun, worse trigger (fixable). It would have more recoil then the 9mm (unless reloading fixes this issue). Any thoughts on the M&P 45 as this dual purpose gun over the M&P9

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
If you like L10, that's about all I would shoot with it in USPSA, and depending on how the elections went, the folks who would like to see L10 nuked might still be in office. In which case it might not be threr. In production, .45 is just too expensive, althoughyou might be able to make an ok minor load using 185s. Personally I have found diminishing returns in production once I go over about 146 power factor, even if the round is more accurate. The added recoil results in me having to slow down too much to keep the number of Cs down to acceptable levels. It'd make a very nice L10 though if you can afford the cost of shooting .45.

The really versatile gun is the M&P .40 which is one of my reasons for getting it. You can shoot production, L10, and limited if you get mag extensions, and be compeititive in all of them.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I would go M&P 9 or 40! The 9 can do SSP/ESP in IDPA and production in USPSA. The 40 can do all that plus Limited in USPSA. The 40 will cost more to run but no where near what 45's cost to operate. JMHO

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
coltman1985 said:
I would go M&P 9 or 40! The 9 can do SSP/ESP in IDPA and production in USPSA. The 40 can do all that plus Limited in USPSA. The 40 will cost more to run but no where near what 45's cost to operate. JMHO

The 45 have similar cost for bullets. If you shoot lead (which the 45 is better suited for as it's a slower bullet) the 45 can be cheaper. 45 takes about the same amount of powder as the 9mm and 40 as well. So cost is similar. M&P45 can run SSP and I would assume ESP but I did not look that one up. It can run Production as well.

Edit: M&P45 can run in Production, SSP, ESP, CDP, L10 and who knows what else. I got tired of looking.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steelshooter said:
I intend to use the .45 for competition and the .40 for carry. I like the larger pistol size and longer sight radius.

Thats been my exact thought as well. Plus I don't have to wait for the Pro to come out and pay the higher cost of the Pro as you would assume it will be more then the stock M&P

·
Registered
140 Posts
DanV1317 said:
You can shoot the M&P .45 in SSP for IDPA?? what is the reasoning for this? I thought all .45's have to go CDP?

DA pistols 9mm or larger calibers for SSP. Technically, I think the M&P .45 could be used for all three classifications in IDPA (SSP, ESP, & CDP), but some would consider it a disadvantage to shoot anything other than SSP because you'd be shooting against single action pistols in the other divisions.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
M47_Dragon said:
DA pistols 9mm or larger calibers for SSP. Technically, I think the M&P .45 could be used for all three classifications in IDPA (SSP, ESP, & CDP), but some would consider it a disadvantage to shoot anything other than SSP because you'd be shooting against single action pistols in the other divisions.

Actually, most people I see shooting a M&P45 in IDPA shoot CDP. The single-action thing is meaningless ... IDPA Nationals has been won by non-SA guns repeatedly. However, in ESP or SSP the M&P45 is competing against 9mm and .40 "minor" loads. Still certainly doable but you're giving up a certain amount of advantage to the competition.

FWIW, the top three finishes in CDP at IDPA Nationals this year were all striker-fired guns. LINK

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Interesting that Sevigny is shooting a 21 SF. Is that to advertise Glocks latest pistol? Even though I love the 1911 I also enjoy seeing striker fired pistols do so well.

·
Registered
140 Posts
ToddG said:
FWIW, the top three finishes in CDP at IDPA Nationals this year were all striker-fired guns. LINK

I hear ya, but I know those guys are phenomenal shooters and I am sure SA v. DA is meaningless to them.

Which is why I qualified it by saying...

M47_Dragon said:
but some would consider it a disadvantage...

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
At any given skill level, the difference between DA, SA, and SFA guns is going to matter less than the difference in recoil between Major and Minor loads, at least for IDPA.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ToddG said:
[quote name='M47_Dragon']

Actually, most people I see shooting a M&P45 in IDPA shoot CDP. The single-action thing is meaningless ... IDPA Nationals has been won by non-SA guns repeatedly. However, in ESP or SSP the M&P45 is competing against 9mm and .40 "minor" loads. Still certainly doable but you're giving up a certain amount of advantage to the competition.

FWIW, the top three finishes in CDP at IDPA Nationals this year were all striker-fired guns. LINK[/quote]

Shouldn't the heavier 230gr bullet going real slow be even softer then the 9mm. Kinda like the 40mm 200gr going real slow is supposedly softer then the 147gr 9mm going a little faster.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I don't think a 40mm would be legal in IDPA. And getting one with a 10rd magazine that is concealable under a vest is going to be a real challenge.

The problem with slowing a 230gr down to 9mm power levels is that the slide becomes extremely sluggish and actually hinders the shooter's ability to make fast shots. Folks shooting .40 Minor already have to switch to very light recoil springs and even then there are differing opinions as to whether it's an improvement or not.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ToddG said:
I don't think a 40mm would be legal in IDPA. And getting one with a 10rd magazine that is concealable under a vest is going to be a real challenge.

The problem with slowing a 230gr down to 9mm power levels is that the slide becomes extremely sluggish and actually hinders the shooter's ability to make fast shots. Folks shooting .40 Minor already have to switch to very light recoil springs and even then there are differing opinions as to whether it's an improvement or not.

LOL, gotta get me one of those 40mm. That would be sweet.

I have pretty much given up on the .45 CAL as I want to save money on ammo.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have the Tanfoglio "L" model with conversion kits in .40 cal and .22LR. The gun started life as a 9MM. I have down loaded the .40cal to 135pf using 2.8 gr. of Titegroup. Does it shoot softer than a 9MM at similar PF. Well I can't tell the difference. The gun operates well with both loads so I guess there might be a small advantage due to the increased size of the bullet hole to using the .40cal but that is about it.

If I shoot cocked and locked in ESP the S/A mode is the equal of my STI Trojan so to me, there is no advantage using the 1911 over the Tanfoglio. Both have 5" barrels and weigh about the same. The big advantage for me in using the Tan is the larger magwell opening as I can reload faster with it than I can with the single stack 1911.

For SSP I now have the M&P in 9MM. It will be a toss up between it and the Para Tac Five as to which I use in SSP. I won't have the Tac Five until next spring so I unable to comment now on a comparison. I do like the M&P's grip and feel of the gun. The Glock just won't fit my hand. From what I have read here the M&P should be just as reliable as a Glock and the gun will in time start showing up in thw winners circle at major matches. Not in my hands but I am sure S&W will attract a ranked shooter do illustrate the guns possibilities.

Take Care

Bob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts