MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Helping set-up/break down... I have a bad back, and a day of running around shooting is about all it can handle - adding in carrying around barricades, barrels, and steel targets results in some serious pain afterwards for several days.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems like it is always the same small group that soes all the work, doesn't it?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I started helping out just to do the right thing, now I do it to keep the MD from "giving" up on running the matches!!

·
Registered
936 Posts
right hand bias in stage design.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
As a shooter: I find staying focused all day the most frustrating part. It almost never fails that I have a couple of bad stages where I just lose my concentration. I think it may be that I don't eat very well so my sugars are up down and all around. I have changed my diet signifigantly in hopes that it will help.

As a match director:

Setting up mirrored stages just to take out the right handed bias and then watching the 2 left handed shooters I did it for shoot it the same way as all the right handers. :wink:

·
Registered
97 Posts
I agree with Dan 100% with the maintaining focus all day. In a perfect world I could just focus on the shooting part but most of the time I help SO and set up.

I'd say cleaning up is a major PITA.... especially in the heat or rain.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I agree with Dan 100% with the maintaining focus all day. In a perfect world I could just focus on the shooting part but most of the time I help SO and set up.

I'd say cleaning up is a major PITA.... especially in the heat or rain.

·
Registered
936 Posts
There are "lefty" sheep, too.

Dan Burwell said:
As a shooter: I find staying focused all day the most frustrating part. It almost never fails that I have a couple of bad stages where I just my concentration. I think it may be that I don't eat very well so my sugars are up down and all around. I have changed my diet signifigantly in hopes that it will help.

As a match director:

Setting up mirrored stages just to take out the right handed bias and then watching the 2 left handed shooters I did it for shoot it the same way as all the right handers. :wink:

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Most frustrating?

Lack of help, especially tearing down. We showed up early to set it up seven stages for them, least they can do is stay an extra 10 minutes to help tear down the stage they finish on.

Next most frustrating is the "lunch stage." My pet name for the inevitable backup that occurs because one stage has issues or because one squad just can't get their act together.

Most performance killing is getting stuck behind a squad that is just WAY slower than yours. HAving a 20 minute wait for every stage just kills your ability to focus on anything but wanting to be done with the match already.

Scores... I hate doing scores. Note to xfactor... if you volunteer for scores and get them done reliably, it almsot always covers all the work you need to be fully appreciated. And it seldom hurts your back.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Equipment problems? no I shoot a M&P, comptac holster, and I-Shot mag holders
simple set-up lightning fast but problem free. I think this is why I am shooting better this year, it isn't about equipment now it is only about the shooting.

Frustrating targets? nope, just some times I find things I need to practice more. Fast swingers used to drive nuts. So I built my own and shoot them regularly. Now, I see them in a stage and don't worry.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think Coltman might have be referring to COF equipment. Yeah that sometimes is a bummer but I think the best stagest are often times the simplest. Too much equipment=complicated COF. Swingers that don't swing when they should, swing too fast or swing prematurely are annoying.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Tacticool Range Commandos.

Thankfully there are fewer of them in IDPA than one finds at the average public shooting range or gun shop, but they are there.

At the last match I shot, there was a guy there that I had never seen before. He found a way to say at least once at every stage that:

1- He carries a gun everyday

2- He has several high end 1911 pistols from Wilson Combat, etc.

3- He got used to carrying a gun when he "worked for the government in the 80's" and has ever since

Now, I don't expect the average new IDPA shooter to be much good at the game, but when someone brags about themselves and their shooting as much as this guy did, I expect them to be able to live up to their words.

I beat this joker with his "very expensive Wilson Combat 1911" by over sixty seconds in 5 stages. I was shooting a totally stock M&P9c. I didn't have a very good match either, I'd never shot the 9c in a match before and I was having an off-day. I was down more points in that five stage match than I was for the 18 stages of the Carolina Cup.

Many of us carry guns everyday, own expensive pistols, and have or do work for the government in jobs where we are required to carry weapons. Most of us don't feel the need to brag about it. Its too bad that shooting draws that kind of person, but what can you do?

·
Registered
936 Posts
I shoot to better myself, so I dont take time to roll my eyes at others. All that does is set up elitism within practical shooter ranks.

Remember, some people take longer in their journey to sensibility (and reliability).

These guys are the ones that gunsmiths make their money on too!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Landric said:
Tacticool Range Commandos.

Amen, brother.

On a personal note, kinda sad to see our local club go 'cos the range burnt down some months back. That was a good group of shooters to be with; never had any issues with setting up or tearing down, you can always find volunteers, good natured ribbing, cool RO & SOs and the stages was always good even with the restriction of an indoor range. Always looked forward to seeing the crew.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Shooters Paradise here in Northern VA. They had just revamped their back stop with rubber. Speculation is that someone shot some incendiary and the rubber was still smoking for days. No one got hurt, thank god.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
coltman1985 said:
Anybody have equipment probs or things that annoy besides people?

Back when I was shooting my singles stack 1911 in L-10, I'd go through periods of constantly fialing to seat mags fully. Which really ruiins a run.

ETA.. yeah HEAT and SUN. Putting on a match in 20 degree weather kicks my ass so much less than broiling in the driect sunlight.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts