MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I'm surprised Glock made it to the list.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Lists like that are food for thought and that's about it. What makes a pistol rank well or poorly is so subjective. What one considers a positive might be considered a negative by someone else, and vice versa. Things like manual safeties, price point, polygonal rifling, and grip angle come to mind. My recent mag comparison is another great example of this. The intended use is also a major factor that may cause one pistol to be ranked better than another. I absolutely LOVE my HK USP 9, but for carry I would prefer the M&P.

I'm not knocking the OP or that guy's list, I just don't think one person's preferences can be used as a standard for others. But you are all intelligent enough to figure that out anyway. :wink:

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I take exception to every CZ variant being listed separately, as it jsut strikes me as kind of silly. Not to mention you have nearly identical guns finishing all over the place on the list. I'd also dink them for durability of their extractors as well as breaking slide stops. They shoot nice, and are built solid, but they require more regular parts replacements than most.

Their characterization of the FNP trigger is a bit misleading. The single action pull is actually pretty nice, not great, but pretty good. The double action pull is REAAAAAAALLLLY long and heavy. Comparing it to a sig trigger is not being honest. Especially in DA mode, the sig trigger is much better.

I wouldn't put the PT92 that high up the list. It's a servicable gun, but there are definitely fit and finish issues of a gun being built to price. Good ones are pretty good, but plenty of ones out there aren't good ones.

I would take the polymer witness off the list. It functions, and it's cheap. But way too many compromises for price point were made. Like a non removable front sight that kind of sucks. The trigger is also a bad version of a normal cz-clone trigger. It's gritty and clunky, and for not much more you could get a regular witness (i.e. right now on gunbroker, buy it now prices between the two are $50, and worth every penny and then some, if I only had $300 to blow, I'd look for a deal on an FNP or ruger rather than the polymer witness).

I'd also take the high point off the list. It works, but implying it is good, or best for a price.. no. A list of really cheap guns that are not totally worthless? Sure.

I'd probably throw the steyr on the list as it is affordable, and works pretty well.

I'd gladly differ with some of the statements about ergonomics and

·
Registered
178 Posts
choochboost said:
But you are all intelligent enough to figure that out anyway. :wink:

huh? I don't understand...

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Ruprex said:
[quote name='choochboost']But you are all intelligent enough to figure that out anyway. :wink:

huh? I don't understand...
[/quote]

That's what you said when I told you that the screws on your mag pouches and holsters are meant to be tightened. :wink:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Ok here's what I really don't agree with:

"Most of you will not agree with our list. You can shuffle the top 20 list and still have good results. The difference between the #1 pistol and #20 pistol is so minor. We are really splitting hairs here. Don't put too much weight on this list. The very best 9mm pistol, is the one that shoots the best for you."

I don't much like the M9 either...I have to constantly think about the way I grip it (small hands). I've also seen too many military personnel that can't shoot it worth a damn (bad ergonomics maybe). Just my .02

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I am surprised the hi-point is on there I figured b4 the hi-point you would at least see a hand throwing the ammo

·
Registered
37 Posts
Fire1 said:
I don't much like the M9 either...I have to constantly think about the way I grip it (small hands). I've also seen too many military personnel that can't shoot it worth a damn (bad ergonomics maybe). Just my .02

I don't really have a problem with the M9. It reliable enough to consistantly put holes in the paper and its amazing easy to work on. I think the best feature on it is the double/single action. But other than that I work with it too much to actually own one, but maybe someday.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm going to have to say..... no....

I don't know whether all those guns are all that great, but its missing a lot of guns that probably should be on the list.. and then theres the hi-point....

Jon

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Come on, a Hi-Point on the list of the best top 20; I dont think so...

·
Registered
75 Posts
anyone shot that cougar yet? All iv'e heard is good about it but would like to hear some personal experience.

Second on the witness though. I don't think there is a better deal for a good reliable pistol. I have a witness 45 that shoots awesome and switching calibers is easy as pie.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
haven't shot the stoeger version of the cougar, but shot a beretta version in .45, REALLY soft and mellow recoil. It was a rental and the sights had been smacked around horribly, so hitting the target with it was an issue as i didn't have a large enough target to figure out how off the sights were, and it was indoors, so no poof of dirt or anything frm the backstop.

Also keep in mind the list is only 9mm, and only under $500.

But still, a bunch of cz75 clones, so why not wevery size and flavor of M&P, XD, and Glock?

Or the polymer baby eagle, definitely a better gun than the polymer witness.

*shrug*

·
Registered
673 Posts
choochboost said:
Lists like that are food for thought and that's about it. What makes a pistol rank well or poorly is so subjective. What one considers a positive might be considered a negative by someone else, and vice versa. Things like manual safeties, price point, polygonal rifling, and grip angle come to mind. My recent mag comparison is another great example of this. The intended use is also a major factor that may cause one pistol to be ranked better than another. I absolutely LOVE my HK USP 9, but for carry I would prefer the M&P.

I'm not knocking the OP or that guy's list, I just don't think one person's preferences can be used as a standard for others. But you are all intelligent enough to figure that out anyway. :wink:

Yea I agree. Each person needs to try and test. What's good for one might not be for the other... Still, the list was quite good to read.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Morgan Walker said:
Come on, a Hi-Point on the list of the best top 20; I dont think so...

I bought one of those for $89 bucks so my now ex gf could shoot with me. She liked it but the thing jammed alot and it made her shooting experience less enjoyable. I tried the gun out it was accurate, but man its like freaking stamped steal everything!! This thing weighs a ton, is huge, and jams alot!!! No way in hell its in the top 20 of the best anything! I sold that licker for 150 though to some old greek guy, so meh it was worth it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts