MP-Pistol Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
A buddy says the shield sucks because the recoil on it is bad. He says the Glock 17 is better because it hardly has recoil compared to his shield. When I heard this, I told him, "how can you compare a full size polymer gun to a short barrel single stack gun?" He still believes it's a fair comparison but I don't agree.

Honestly, compared to other similar sized handguns, Is the shield too snappy?

Hide what you have to hide/and tell what you have to tell
The Shield is a much smaller gun than the Glock 17. It's a subcompact meant for concealment and yes, the recoil is snappy. Practice with it. It's not as bad as a 357 snubby and you can get used to it. You'll have to overcome the flinching.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
If he says the recoil is bad on the Shield 9, then I have to assume he is a very senior citizen with painfully arthritic hands.
I am 70 with very arthritic hands. And shoulder surgeries. I had a Shield 9mm, 3.1 inch barrel that I could barely rack. So, tells you how bad my hands are. My current Shield 2.0, 4 inch barrel has minimal recoil IMHO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A buddy says the shield sucks because the recoil on it is bad. He says the Glock 17 is better because it hardly has recoil compared to his shield. When I heard this, I told him, "how can you compare a full size polymer gun to a short barrel single stack gun?" He still believes it's a fair comparison but I don't agree.

I am 70 with very arthritic hands. And shoulder surgeries. I had a Shield 9mm, 3.1 inch barrel that I could barely rack. So, tells you how bad my hands are. My current Shield 2.0, 4 inch barrel has minimal recoil IMHO.
I hear you. I'm 77 with osteoarthritis as well. I don't find the pistol a problem, but some people do. I think that muzzle flip is something an inexperienced shooter needs to reckon with, flinching. It's a light gun. I thought the comparison with a Glock 17 was wrong.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Your buddy, is an idiot. Enough said...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Had experience with many handguns prior to my Shield 9, (one of which is my S&W Model 29 44mag). So, for obvious reasons, I find the Shield's recoil mild and second shot acquisition is very easy. I've heard the 40 S&W Shield can be snappy, but the 9? No.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Whether the Shield has uncomfortable recoil is pretty much up to the shooter's impression and will vary from person to person but comparing a Shield to a G17 is indeed unfair. It's like driving a Honda Civic for a while and then getting an F-150 and complaining the F-150 doesn't get as. good gas mileage as the Honda.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Your friend obviously doesn't know how to properly grip a gun. I'm 75 and small and can shoot our 9mm Shield in IDPA BUG class all day long with no discomfort. It's quite accurate too for it's size. The only change I made was to replace the sights with fiber optics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The recoil on a s & w shield DOES suck. Get a 22 lr . It's actually fun to shoot and will make the bad guy cease and desist.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Long dead for one member may be a new thread for a new member, or they may not have a question/suggestion missing from the old thread (or they may have failed to read it through to see if their question was answered some date before they had that question.

Recoil? I remember a guy complaining my AR15 recoil was objectionable. Made me wish I had the 03 or the M1917 with me so he could cry over recoil.

As for a .22 making a bad guy stop/run, you must have missed the threads where people get shot 9 or 12 times (or more) with a 9MM before they stop and fall down.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Long dead for one member may be a new thread for a new member, or they may not have a question/suggestion missing from the old thread (or they may have failed to read it through to see if their question was answered some date before they had that question.

Recoil? I remember a guy complaining my AR15 recoil was objectionable. Made me wish I had the 03 or the M1917 with me so he could cry over recoil.

As for a .22 making a bad guy stop/run, you must have missed the threads where people get shot 9 or 12 times (or more) with a 9MM before they stop and fall down.
Like the old saying... .22 for carrying is not good but it’s better than carrying nothing. I personally would never consider it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Your buddy sounds like one of those Glock fanboys who believe anything other than a Glock is junk.

To be clear I do not begrudge anyone who buys a Glock. A firearm owner should shoot whatever they are comfortable, competent and accurate with, which is what I tell anyone who asks my advice on purchasing a firearm.

As to the question at hand, I own a Shield 9 and even with my gorilla hands have no trouble with recoil. Even my petite wife shoots it with no problem.

The only modification I made is to add Talon grips to them to enhance grip.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Often overlooked - Recoil management is relative to grip strength, especially in the bottom two digits.. Weak grip, more recoil.
Grip strength does play a part in recoil control, along with good grip and shooting techniques. I'm 75, work out in the gym almost every day and have developed special exercises to develop strength to help control recoil and it works. I also watch the pros techniques and learned from them and it's made a huge difference in my splits time and group sizes.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts