MP-Pistol Forum banner

What do you think of the recoil on the 9mm shield?

21K views 58 replies 44 participants last post by  agksimon 
#1 ·
A buddy says the shield sucks because the recoil on it is bad. He says the Glock 17 is better because it hardly has recoil compared to his shield. When I heard this, I told him, "how can you compare a full size polymer gun to a short barrel single stack gun?" He still believes it's a fair comparison but I don't agree.

Honestly, compared to other similar sized handguns, Is the shield too snappy?

Hide what you have to hide/and tell what you have to tell

#2 ·
It is not a fair comparison. If your friend does not understand this, he probably has no business owning a gun :lol:

However, the Shield is a pretty soft shooting pistol for its size. It certainly is easier to shoot than my S&W J frame or Taurus TCP.

While no range gun, I did complete an all day defensive pistol class with the Shield and it was fine.

#7 ·
I'm amazed by how low the recoil is on my 9mm Shield. Maybe your friend needs to study his grip. A good firm grip makes all the difference in the world! I shoot a Ruger LCP so I know a little about recoil, but even it doesn't bother me since I've learned how to grip it properly.

#8 ·
I own both along with a boat load of other semi autos....the recoil on the 9 Shield is not bad at all. Tell your friend to go shoot a Walther PPK in 380 if he wants a sense of what a snappy little pistol feels like.....your friend does not make a fair comparison.....

#9 ·
If your buddy wants to compare recoil between a S&W and a Glock try comparing his G17 to a full size M&P. Or, compare the Shield to a G43. I've not done it as I have zero interest in the G43, but at least they are the same class gun.

When I compared them side by side, I found the 40 S&W to be only a bit snappier than the 9mm Shield. The 9 is pretty soft shooting. But every individual reacts differently to recoil. What is universal is that a Shield sure will conceal easier than a G17!

#10 ·
The recoil on the 9mm Shield is not bad at all, I can easily shoot 100 rounds with no discomfort at all. I haven't shot the 40 Shield but people post that the recoil on it is no problem at all.

As a comparison I also have a S&W mod 642, this is the small Chief's Special Airweight hammerless revolver in 38 Special, it is truly painful to shoot, I don't want to even shoot a full 5 shot cylinder of ammo because it is too painful, too painful to practice with except with low velocity target ammo. I don't worry about it too much, in a truly dangerous situation I wouldn't even notice the recoil, but still its not practical to practice with. Practice with full power 9mm ammo in the Shield is no problem at all.

#11 ·
Have him try the Shield, side-by-side with the Nano, LC9 (any variant), PF-9, P938, and others that are the same size and weight of the Shield. If he thinks the Shield is snappy, the others may break his wrists. :D

#17 ·
If he says the recoil is bad on the Shield 9, then I have to assume he is a very senior citizen with painfully arthritic hands. I don't have a Shield 9 but do have a Shield 40 and my wife shoots it just fine and has no complaints about its recoil, but she is only 54 so that's probably why she can handle it.

Tell you buddy to talk to his doctor about being him recoil sensitive and to ask him about the new prescription wonder drug called "Wimpbegone", one pill before shooting...recoil sensitivity is gone...or so as I hear it is! :lol:

#18 ·
If he says the recoil is bad on the Shield 9, then I have to assume he is a very senior citizen with painfully arthritic hands. I don't have a Shield 9 but do have a Shield 40 and my wife shoots it just fine and has no complaints about its recoil, but she is only 54 so that's probably why she can handle it.

Tell you buddy to talk to his doctor about being him recoil sensitive and to ask him about the new prescription wonder drug called "Wimpbegone", one pill before shooting...recoil sensitivity is gone...or so as I hear it is! [emoji38]
Hahaha good one! He's in his 40s so I don't know what's up with him. I'm sure the recoil is felt more on the shield compared to the 17 but still.

Hide what you have to hide/and tell what you have to tell

#59 ·
Grip strength does play a part in recoil control, along with good grip and shooting techniques. I'm 75, work out in the gym almost every day and have developed special exercises to develop strength to help control recoil and it works. I also watch the pros techniques and learned from them and it's made a huge difference in my splits time and group sizes.

#22 ·
No need to make recoil control an ego issue. Recoil is mostly about trigger control. Learn to separate the two and follow through and you can shoot a 454 just fine.

Think about this. Shooting is basic fundementals just like driving a car. The firearm runs on gunpowder. Dryfire, practice and learn to press the trigger to the extint that it ingrains into your subconscious. OK,,now you are free to just aim and let the shot run itself.:smiling:

#26 ·
I just joined this forum. I have a 50 year affair with Smith & Wesson and have depended on them for my life. I have the M&P40, M&P40C, and the 9mm Shield. I do not find the 9mm Shield has excessive recoil. I also bought the 9mm shield for my wife who is also a police officer and she loves the weapon. I have found that when you need a weapon in a emergency situation, adrenaline takes over and recoil is not an issue. All small polymer pistols have some recoil and your chosen ammunition either increases or decreases this recoil. It is not necessary to use the +P loads. but it is necessary to be on target because shot placement is the key to self defense. I find the Shield to be quite accurate and comfortable to shoot. I don't have large hands but the Shield just fits my hands. If the grip is too small for the shooter's hands, there will be more felt recoil and thus less control and comfort. I think that grip and hand size is really the issue.

#27 ·
You have to compare the G17 to a full size M&P Pro, or CORE.
Try the G43 against the Shield.
I have been shooting Glocks for a long time and the Shield has very little to no recoil...Just went to 147g in the shield, Talon rubber grips and very little to no recoil at all. I also added the Apex Flat Face trigger and it also reduced the over and under travel by about 25%.
Redstone

#28 ·
The Shield in my limited experience demands good grip fundamentals. If I don't hold it properly, my accuracy and the recoil comfort both tell me so immediately. Due to the size of my big hands, it takes some fussing to get any of my left palm contacting the grip. To do so, I have to move the fingers of my right hand out of the way a little, and the whole thing is a bit fiddly. Once I've gripped and regripped a few times, it is natural again. After a couple thousand rounds I'm sure it will be ok. I like it as a range gun, mainly since it's also now my EDC and I want to be good with it specifically.

#30 ·
recoil?

Most of my handgunning life has been spent with 1911 45ACP pistols, Smith revolvers, Ruger SA etc.... all steel full size guns. My Shield 9mm is the only plastic framed gun I've ever owned. I don't even notice the recoil shooting my Shield. Whoever thinks the Shield kicks hard should shoot a 44 magnum Blackhawk with full bore 44 magnum loads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.