MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What influenced you in buying your 1st M&P? For me it was my job I work with the NC Dept of Correction and in 2006 they adopted the M&P .40fs as their weapon of choice so while in basic training I had to qualify with this weapon I shot a 98% and qualified as an expert I knew then I had to have one. It also was the pistol of the year. So I got in on the ground floor.

·
Registered
298 Posts
In my case it was after going through the M&P pistol armorer class and having the chance to closely examine it.

Talking to a handful of folks in the class from other agencies who had either already been using them, or had been involved in T&E of them for a while and were getting up to speed as armorers for their adoption or at least authorized optional usage, was just enough to interest me in trying one. I didn't really see the need for yet another plastic pistol, already having a couple of Glocks and a couple of SW99's, but I came to appreciate the refinement and innovations incorporated in the M&P.

Now that I own a couple of them I could see owning yet another ... if it wasn't for the fact that I already own more guns than I can shoot every month and keep cleaned.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm very new to handguns. My friend works in the NRA's legal department and is a certified safety instructor, and I asked him what the most reliable out of the box, easy to use handgun would be. He gave me a list. I think the ones he said would be the most reliable were the M&P, Glock, and H&K. The H&K was way way out of my price range. I shot both the Glock and M&P, the M&P felt 100x more comfortable and had the option of the manual thumb safety which I liked. I also watched a lot of videos on Youtube to look at the operation of the different pistols and reviews.

·
Registered
414 Posts
was inthe local gunshop, just browsing you know, and asked to look at one and ended up buying the FS 9mm before leaving the store. I went back a month later and got the .40 and have never regreted it

·
Registered
828 Posts
Walked into a shop, had a stack of guns and a fat wallet.

When the morning was over I had a .45 MnP and all the necessary items to go with it. However the 1911 Colt (Springfield) was a very close second, but 400 clams more and that was what finally decided the issue.

Later on, I fired a bunch of rental guns at the range to further refine my understanding of which is good and which is bad... FOR ME, not anyone else or at anything in particular.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Tried a .40 compact with reloads, was impressed with how it shot. Tried my buddy's .45 full size. Was impressed. Tried a 9mm rental full size. Was impressed.

Was really impressed when I got out the shot timer. 1911 was sold shortly thereafter and replaced.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was shopping for a 9mm to use in IDPA competition. Was leaning toward Glock, but just hesitated cuz they're so damn ugly. Then I started to love the M&P because it was so lefty friendly. Then I shot one and had to have it.
Rest is history. I've had mine 4 months now, and I REALLY love it.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
The M&P series had what I wanted in features, specs, aftermarket parts, a growing community of enthusiasts and it is made in the U.S.A.

By the way "Hondov65" are you trying to be abrasive with the text formatting because it certainly bugs my eyes to read it all bold italics and size 3... The signature is just as harsh...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Made in the U.S.A

The reputation of S&W.

Reliability.

Changeable back straps

Good sight picture

Well balanced

Lightweight

Availability

Price

And when I handled it at the shop, it felt good in my hand.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just liked how it felt in my hand....

·
Registered
599 Posts
We help with the training of many local PD's at our club. One Officer

let me shoot his MP 45 FS after ILEA training and at 25 yards on a B 27

target I put all the 7 rnds he had in his mag in the 10/x ring with full

power loads. First time ever holding or shooting an MP. When out and

ordered a 45 FS asap .

8th

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Did a LOT of research beforehand and the M&P came out ahead in every review I read.

Finally narrowed it down to M&P, XD and Glock. The M&P felt the best in my hand, operated the smoothest and just seemed to be built with the highest quality compared to the other two.

Test fired the M&P and XD. The M&P won hands down.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Same as BulletTime. I even had a sweet spreadsheet going of factors and specs, as dorky as it sounds. Then shot 3 of them, and one stood out hands down...

noob

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The M&P series had what I wanted in features, specs, aftermarket parts, a growing community of enthusiasts and it is made in the U.S.A.

By the way "Hondov65" are you trying to be abrasive with the text formatting because it certainly bugs my eyes to read it all bold italics and size 3... The signature is just as harsh...

No I am no trying to be abrasive neither am I shouting. It just makes it easier when spell checking my posts. Sorry I offend you. I will make a sorted effort to tone down my text..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Comfort, looks, and quality of S&W products influenced my decision.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I decided to shoot USPSA competitively. My two choices were the Glock 34 and the Pro Series 9mm...

The Pro Series:

- Fit my hand better

- Was less expensive

- Same grip angle as the XDs I was use to

- Very low bore axis (compared to sky-high XDs)

I swapped my XD9 Subcompact for a M&P9C because I wanted to shoot a similar platform to my competition gun, as my carry gun.

I have ZERO issues with XDs, or with Glocks. They're BOTH great guns. The M&P was just a better fit.

LATER, I enjoy the fact they are American made...

Jeff

1 - 20 of 69 Posts