MP-Pistol Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
An XD9 Service with frequent FTF/FTE plus an XD40 Tactical that consistantly bloodied my hand. If it wasn't the sharp, loaded chamber indicator slicing my left hand it was the lousy grip spliting my thumb nuckle.

I replaced the XD9 with an M&P9: Problems solved

Rep;aced the XD40 with M&P40: Problems solved

What more could I ask for?

Wellm I asked for an M&P45 FS and C: Both problems solved.

I am a happy camper at this point.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Like others, I was browsing at my local gun shop. They had M&P on sale. Once I held it in my hand, it was a done deal. The ergonomics of the gun were great!

·
Registered
665 Posts
I got mine for free.

I had a Glock 30 that was given to me as a bonus at work. I really like that gun, and I want another, but it's harder to find support gear for. A friend was looking to get every model of Glock available, and asked if I was interested in trading that 30. I wanted a Glock 19, which he had several of. He traded me an almost new one for it. I put 2500 rounds through that gun over the course of about a year.

Later, a friend was given a .300 Whisper AR upper that he was never gonna use, so he took it to a shop that traded him straight up for an LE MnP9 (three mags), which he didn't really want, but he knew I was interested in one. He brought it to the shop, and asked what I had to trade. All I had available at that time was my used G19. He asked if I'd do that gun and three G17 mags, and I agreed, because I knew I was going to be able to get an almost new G19 for $250, which I did. Now the Glock 19 is the EDC pistol, and the MnP is my primary home defense and training gun, having been given an X300, CTC laser grips and a Safariland ALS for it by a few different friends in high (or low, depending on perspective) places.

I sent that gun to Greg Derr at Derr Precision for a trigger job because the trigger stacked really badly and had a hitch in it that gave it a false reset. A trigger job later, and its one of my favorite guns. I just wish they'd make a G19 sized version.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Basically, it's the best-fitting for my hand, is lightweight, has one of the longer barrels (M&P-9L), and people say S&W has good service.

Px4 is 2nd-best fit, but worried me because of reports of trigger sting, low muzzle velocity, and poor service.

G17 ruled out because my trigger finger was sore by 50 rounds; G19 centers finger ridges under my fingers.

CZ-75 is very nice, but heavier.

XD has too-small upper grip that yaws in my hand when it fires.

Sig 226 barrel axis too high, grip too short.

USP grip too short.

P99 grip too short with narrow-ridged back.

SR9 grip too small, feels like a piece of wood trim. When the backstrap insert is turned curve-out, its edges irritate my hand.

FNP DA pull too long; I feel like I need to re-grip it before it fires.

P250 too small, and I don't like its version of DAO.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I liked the way it felt in hand. The price, the features, the way it looked. I fired a glock and sig and was deadset in getting one of the two, but when I handled the M&P, I knew it was the one for me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It is American made and fit my hand almost like a 1911. I was sold for sure after 2,000 rounds down range and probably will get another one as soon as I can afford it. I have owned a Glock and Xd the M&P just covers what I want and need better.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Rented a bunch and this felt the best in my hand, good build quality and I shot the best with it. Also I was thinking about IDPA when I bought the gun and a lot of IDPA folks had good things to say about it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
As a lefty I was heavily looking into pistols with ambi controls. One of the guys at a local gun club told me about the M&P and the rest is history.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm a lefty and liked the controles on the M&P. With that said, it also fit my hand very nicely (I use the med back strap even though I have fairly large hands). It was the most comfortable gun I rented in 3 outings (9 guns in total). I just had to have one. Came home, did some research on issues/problems peope had with the gun and found none that worried me so I made my decision. Glad I did.

·
Registered
260 Posts
What finally decided it for me was the enthusiasm of the person in charge of the testing that the Cincinnati Police Department conducted before they adopted the M&P a few years ago. I had already decided that I liked the gun but since it was so new my only concern had been durability/reliability and that was laid to rest after talking to him about the testing it went through.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Economics...

Wanted to build an econo-blaster to shoot in USPSA Limited division and went looking for a LE trade-in Gen 3 Glock 22. Discovered that with the promo offers from S&W, the base gun plus mags for a new gun with factory warranty was less than $50 more.

·
Registered
168 Posts
i tried a lot of compact pistols before i bought the m&p9c. for me, it was the fit to my hands. it was like it was made for me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Loved the way it felt in my hand, and got a great deal on it.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts