MP-Pistol Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
For me .....when I first saw it.....It felt like El Dorado.
I bought one...then took it to the range to test it out. It handled as beautifully as it looked.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Dissatisfaction with a XD.45 I had... I bought a Midsized.45, more or less on a whim..I took it home and compared both side by side. field stripped both, and looked at how each worked, and how they were made, and where they were made..Held them both side by side, and noted the high bore axis of the XD, I also noted the pro's and cons of both, The "con" list for the XD was longer than the "pro"..I sold the XD 2 weeks later, With the horrid stock trigger, it took me a long time to learn to shoot the M&P well, The introduction of Apex Tactical's parts about this point in time was a godsend,and when I bought a FS 9 It also got the Apex treatment, (DCAEK) Since then, I've had Heinie straight 8's installed, stippled both, relieved the triggerguards on both, Turning them into even better pistols..Do I miss the XD? no,I don't. Lately, I've been paring down my handgun collection, this as a result of a defensive handgun course I've been taking, It really dosen't make much sense to have alot of handguns you don't shoot much.. And all with a different manual of arms..So, I'm keeping the M&P's and a couple of HK's a P7,(bought primarly for the wife) and a P-2000 LEM. So far, in addition to the XD, I've gotten rid of a Sig P-220, S.A. milspec, Beretta commerical model M9, and have a possible sale on a HK USP I have, (I'll know later this week), I don't miss any of them, This will allow me concentrate on using 2 platforms, (M&P and the P-2000) and learn to use them well, At least that's my goal...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had a Glock 19 and took it thru a 2 day, 1000 round class. Needless to say after day 1 I realised that it was not comfortable to shoot. Tried 10 or 12 different pistols and the striker fired m&p beat out the HK P30 v3. 2+ years (and 5500 thru m&p) later I am still satisfied that I made the right decision

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wanted a 9mm for cheaper and more often range time. I didn't even look at a M&P because of the reputation of the Sigma as being crap. It was a tight race between the FNP9 and the XDM9. A guy at the local gun shop suggested I at least hold a M&P. I loved it. And now that I've shot some rounds through my 9L I love it even more.

If you're going to put serious rounds downrange then comfort becomes a factor. This pretty much means Glock is out of the question for me. The others were very nice but the M&P felt like it was made for me.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Process of elimination; several year long process of elimation. I've bought and sold more handguns than I care to admit. So here is the process:

Ruger P89 - too heavy, bad trigger

Glock 19 #1 - Great gun that hurt my shooting hand

HK USP9 compact - Too top heavy, not consistant

Sig 228 - Great gun, not a huge DA/SA fan

Sig 226 #1 - Great gun, still not into DA/SA

Sig 220 -

Glock 19 #2 - like that trigger

Glock 34 #1 - getting into IDPA

Sig 229

Sig 226 #2 - just more accurate, still don't like DA/SA

CZ75 - Nope

Springfield 1911 - Love it, don't like cocked/locked carry

HK USP - like LEM trigger. Still top heavy, like mag release

Glock 19 #3 - like trigger,

Glock 34 #2 - like trigger, FRACK Glocks hurt my hand

THEN a buddy shows me what I think is a POS S&W M&P

No more compromise, love the:

Trigger - especially Burwell's

ergonomics

Accurate

Balanced

dependable

reversable mag release

look

made in USA

warranty

I finally found my gun. Over two years now, still lovin it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Took a job where I would need to leave a pistol in my auto. Did not want to leave a 1911 in the car. Needed a decent inexpensive(relatively) handgun. Wasn't really looking for M&P but came across a 45c locally. After some trigger work it has become my primary CCW. I think the 45c w/ thumb safety is the best modern interpretation of a CCO.

J

·
Registered
24 Posts
I rented a ton of handguns before I bought my M&P including Glocks, Sigs, and H&K to name a few. The M&P though felt so natural in my hand and seemed to shoot truer than any other, so for me it was kind of a no brainer.

Now that I have around 7,000 rounds through it I have no regrets, still the most reliable pistol I have ever had.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The selling point for me was the interchangeable back straps; I liked the idea of having a more ergonomic fitting gun. I shot it exclusively for about six months but decided to go back to shooting a Glock.

I love the "Burwellized" trigger on the M&P but I prefer the grip angle of the Glock and a Charlie Vanek took care of any trigger issues.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I reserved for a Glock 21 after convincing myself for more than a decade it was okay to have, something ugly everyone wanted, but weeks passed and there was no stock. The sales person introduced M&P45 which at that time I barely have had the time to check on the net for reviews; because it was S&W what could go wrong? Its been with me for more than I year and is totally reliable.

Oh and my itch for Glock couldn't get away so I got a G19 which which lives up to its reputation too.

·
Registered
227 Posts
1 low barrel axis

2 adjustable backstraps

3 it looks better than a Glock or XD (imho)

and when Robert Dunlap said that M&P's built better than Glocks that did it for me.

Bob Dunlap video:

http://www.americangunsmith.com/view.php?id=185

The video preview is no longer there. On the site it says one of the things discussed is:

"Is the thumb safety necessary, ……….or even desirable? "

I'm in the process of trying to determine whether to get a new M&P with the thumb safety or not, so would you mind please sharing Bob Dunlap's answer to this question? Thanks!

·
Registered
162 Posts
The video preview is no longer there. On the site it says one of the things discussed is:

"Is the thumb safety necessary, ……….or even desirable? "

I'm in the process of trying to determine whether to get a new M&P with the thumb safety or not, so would you mind please sharing Bob Dunlap's answer to this question? Thanks!

You can have my copy of the video.

PM sent

Bob Dunlap does not like thumb safeties in general.

Watch the video for details.
:)

I have mine equipped with CT laser, so I do not have thumb safety either.

But if you get one with the thumb safety

here is what you can do.

Copy/Paste

How to: Use Crimson Trace Lasergrips on M&Ps with Thumb Safety, Howard's novice smithing adventure.

S&W is adding the thumb safeties to more of their models. The right hand thumb safety tab clearly interferes with the LaserGrips, so here are some alternatives.

* Remove the thumb safety activation lever and lose the thumb safety function.

* Cut off the right hand tab and retain the function with the left hand tab only.

Getting access to the thumb safety activation lever (picture below) proved quite easy for me (novice) by following Dan Burwell's DIY Trigger Job instructions up to the point of tilting the sear up (page 7 of 46). The thumb safety activation lever is then easily removable. http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/misc/M&Ptriggerjob.pdf

If you don't care to have the thumb safety function but the M&P you bought was just a really good price, you can just remove the activation tab and reassemble your pistol.

If you want to retain the safety function and still install the Crimson Trace LaserGrips, you can cut off the right side tab. I would do it removed from the gun to avoid metal filings getting into the gun because I know my limitations with tools.

·
Registered
43 Posts
S&W's reputation, both concerning the products and their legendary customer service.

My experience with M1911's and various Sigs taught me what quality looks and feels and shoots like.

And their story, which is about a nice comeback from the precipice during the Clinton years.

Reinforced by all those magazine articles and the general gist of most postings on the web.

All reaffirmed by my visit to the Factory this summer.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
My M&P40 is the first handgun I owned.

Long story, skip it if you have something better to do.

When I was 8 or 9 years old I fired a Browning 9mm at a range near my home in SoCal ('bout 5 miles from the mouse), the noise was a bit of a surprise compared to the Marlin Glenfield model 60 (which I still have). Almost 40 years later an Idaho Police officer suggested that if I didn't own a home defense/self defense weapon I might want to look into getting one. Since there was a sense of urgency he set me up with a buddy that could help select the right firearm and provide training on how to defend myself and my family.

First we went through basic firearms training in the classroom and then spent some time on the range deciding what styles and calibers were suitable. He went through 15 calibers in three hours while showing me how to handle firearms safely. The convenience of a handgun seemed appropriate and I shot the Glock 17, 22 and S&W Model 686 (.38 Special?) the best, this was the first time I'd ever shot a revolver or a Glock in any caliber, although struggling to hit a paper plate at 10 yards seems almost comical now. Since the Officer that set me up with this training carries the 40S&W (Glock 22 & 27) and is happy with them, all else being equal I went with the "more powerful" 40S&W too.

During the next range session we tried every brand of 40S&W he had (except the Kel-tec which didn't appeal to me). Of the 7 weapons he had me fire the M&P40 felt better and shot better than any of the others, that made up my mind. He asked if I would like to try a compact in case I decided to CCW, but being a recently transplanted surfer dude from Southern California I thought "Why would I ever want to carry a gun around? I'm not a COP" and "What kind of psychopath does he think I am?" too. I sheepishly declined. LOL.

3 years, 9 firearms (5 handguns), 6 trigger jobs, about 100 of hours training, and nearly 1000 range hours later... I prefer my first handgun, my M&P40, and confidently carry it every day.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts