MP-Pistol Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm basically a 1911 guy, but bought a couple of S&W revolvers when I first got involved with this stuff in the late 60's (and a couple more S&W guns since).

I decided I wanted a .40, just for fun, S&W was giving away a pair of magazines (roughly $100), and my dealer was in a good mood
.... Ended up with an M&P40FS. Super range gun, and a good "duty" gun if you need one. Nothing really special, but solid and reliable. That was a year or so ago....

I had a PPS40 and decided I didn't like it. Swapped it for an M&P40C a couple months back. Again, free magazines from S&W in the deal. I still prefer a small 1911 for EDC, but this little thing is great. I added Apex's DCAEK kit to both in the last month or so. Even better....

The Compact is an "Airline Travel" gun, as well as something to wear around the house in my grubbies. By "Airline Travel", I mean that I wouldn't be too upset to get an insurance check (preferrably after the return leg) if something happened to it while travelling. My usual 1911's have too much "investment" in custom work, etc.

(I know that if I actually USE one of the 1911's, it may never return, but in that situation, I can't think about that. I just feel that my chances will increase slightly v.s. the cheapies. But the M&P40C is still decent enough to trust, and if the stuff hits the fan, will probably do.)

And I still have those older S&W guns.... Both M&P's, with the Apex kit, feel quite like the old revolvers. In those days S&W was a standard....

Regards,

·
Registered
121 Posts
I wanted a decent, reliable hicap 9mm that felt comfortable in the hand and wouldn't break the bank. Was also curious about eventually mounting a RDS which limited my realistic choices to Glock & S&W M&P.

Don't care for how the Glock feels in my hand (YMMV) and I've never been comfortable w/striker-fired pistols that have only a trigger safety.

Enter the S&W M&P9. Feels great in my hand, has interchangeable backstraps, APEX parts make for a great trigger, very affordable, has a removeable thumb safety and the current $50/2-mag rebate was just icing on the cake!

Wife liked the M&P9 fullsize but felt it was too big for her. So, got an M&P9c w/APEX parts from Grant (thx, Grant!) for her and it's amazing how accurate it is for a compact! Another M&P9c from Grant is now my CCW piece.

Tomac

My S&W M&P9 & the wife's M&P9c:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Tired of banging my head against the wall trying to use a USP which never fits my (pretty small) hand, and often moves during recoil because of this. Tired of not being able to reach its mag release with my thumb, and hating having to use my trigger finger to do so (I'm lefty). Having a dodgy wrist joint, I also dislike the higher HK bore axis which can cause pain after while.

The M&P fits like the proverbial glove - I had seriously considered an XD which was an improvement over the USP's chunky grip, but found the Smith completely comfortable...interchangable backstraps rule.

Knowing I have little chance of trying out guns before I buy them (we don't really have rental ranges here) I'm taking a leap of faith on the MP 9L - just waiting to be able to purchase, shouldn't be too much longer

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I needed a realiable carry gun. The M&P 9c felt great in my hand and had a proven track record. I picked up a 45fs for winter time.

·
Registered
343 Posts
When I first bought my 9c I didn't know anything about the model except for sw's legendary customer service. What really sold it to me was how natural it felt in my hand. To this day out of all my toys, the mp is still my fav.

·
Registered
77 Posts
To answer the OP's question honestly, I was pissed off at Glock. I was told about the Gen4 Glock's by a LE rep long before their release and was excited. Interchangeable back-straps! Yes! About time. Finally a Glock that felt good in the hand. WRONG. Got an early T&E gun and was VERY disappointed. How can you design a gun with interchangeable back-straps that do not really change the ergonomics of the gun? 2mm's difference? Is that supposed to change anything? Ridiculous. So I decided I would pick up what the Gen4 Glock should have been. Plus I have always been a big S&W fan, so the decision was easy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Previously had a 2.0 compact, really liked it but wanted to focus on one platform and that was Glock, sold it, but regretted it. Had a Ruger SP101 up for trade and a fellow had a 5" pro series. Even trade. I'm happy with trade, looks to be very lightly used. In the future I might get a performance slide kit in 4.25.

·
Registered
175 Posts
As I've mentioned elsewhere on this page, I was looking for a lighter, easier carry than my Colt 1911 Government. A couple guys at my VVA chapter had Glock 26's they let me handle. I wasn't crazy about it, but resigned myself to moving into the polymer generation. Long story short, went to the LGS to buy the 26, left with an M&P 9c. As Paul Harrell says, it fit my hand better. Never looked back.

Reactions: jkv45
61 - 69 of 69 Posts