MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand what one does but why on the M&P? My hand comes no where near the slide. Do most people’s hands ride higher? I assume when Dan removes it he is just grinding off the access?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Morgan Walker said:
[quote name='YukonGlocker']With a high grip it also helps control muzzle flip.

Nailed it...[/quote]True, but you aren't going to get your hand up higher on the M&P with the beavertail than you will without it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPSguy said:
[quote name='Morgan Walker'][quote name='YukonGlocker']With a high grip it also helps control muzzle flip.

Nailed it...[/quote]True, but you aren't going to get your hand up higher on the M&P with the beavertail than you will without it.[/quote]

That is what I was thinking. I realy like the look after it has been removed.

·
Registered
264 Posts
For me its a comfort thing. Having the tail extend out that extra inch or so makes for a very comfortable feel. For me it also helps distribute the load over a larger surface area, so it makes recoil feel better. The extra leverage cant hurt either in control. My XD without the tail leaves a pretty good mark on my hand where its tail ends. The MP does not. Granted that is comparing a 45 to a 9, but none of my 1911's with their beaver tails left any kind of mark on my hand.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I think when Smith was designing this gun they were looking at what the custom guy were doing to the glocks to "improve" them. What a better place to get design improvements then from the custom market that is entirely consumer driven.

The most common work on glocks are sights, trigger, steel guide rod, grips (texture and/or reduction), beavertail.

Huh, imagine that, looks like the M&P has all those things :wink:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Funny isn't it? People are paying to have beavertails put on Glocks and XDs and paying to have them removed from M&Ps. Life is funny when you know where to look.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
The other thing a beavertail does for low sitting slides is for us SWAT guys who tend to wear gloves it can keep bulky ones out of the slide. The reason S&W put it on is it was requested by enough of the shooters they looked to. It was also planned to be solid so it could be cut off easily if needed. It is easier to take one off than put one on. Trust me I put enough of them on Glocks. PAIN IN THE BU...............

CHECK 360

David Bowie

J

·
0 Posts
Come on guys, you all know what the beaver tail is for. It prevents hammer bite.

·
Registered
165 Posts
yup Glocks chew the crap out of my right hand. I have permanent scars from shooting them and ignoring the slide biting. Of course that doesn't say much for my brains does it?

With the Smith, that can't happen. Hell it's happened with my Beretta during a match when I went over the tail, removed a good chunk of meat that time. gun kept running though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts