MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this little rod or something, i dont know what it is called...

when i got the gun, i noticed it, but it was only sticking out by a hair... now 1000 rounds later, it's really sticking out.

ok, i can identify it (now) as the roll pin or something. it's supposed to stop the tak down lever at a certain point. i saw in anoher thread that it should maybe stick out a touch to the left. this thing is crawling way out the RIGHT SIDE of the pistol.

can i carefully tap it back in with a small hammer, or do i have to go through the trouble of sending it to S&W or what? it should be their problem i guess... but i dont want to lose the gun for sending, repair and re-dlivery. however long all that will take.

sorry for the fuzzy pic, but you get the idea...

·
Registered
910 Posts
Locking block roll pin, or coil pin(whatever the hell you want to call it). I know someone else on here had a similar issue. Someone more helpful than myself will be along shortly, I'm sure.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just tap it back in easy-like, you can get a soldering iron and melt the plastic on the frame to keep it from moving if you want

·
Registered
937 Posts
I don't know if I'd melt the plastic around it. They are removable so that the gun can be diassembled for service or cleaning. Get a proper sized punch (A small nail-set might work also) and expand the end so that it'll wedge in the there. You can do this on both sides to help keep it in place. This is the proper way to do it.

·
Registered
936 Posts
just knock it back in there with a plastic hammer, or a regular hammer wrapped with some tape to cover the striking surface of the hammer. Remove the slide, put the frame on a solid table or workbench with a soft towel or rag underneath, and start whacking.Once it gets close to even on both sides, use a punch or even a good sized blunt nail to whack it in.

It probably will never do that again.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
There have been a few members whose front roll pin continuously walked out.

As Mike said, just punch it back in.

If it continues to walk out, S&W will fix it.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Exactly, this happens with my Rugers also...

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
It happened to my 40 after I removed then reinserted it. I believe they require a fresh (sharp) edge to hold themselves in place. I had previously purchased a maintenance part set from Brownell's among which were 2 of the pins. They cost all of $1.00 each. The new pin has not moved since installation a couple of thousand rounds back. I believe installation takes the edge off of the pin where it passes through the steel block. If removed and reinstalled with the wrong end first the remaining sharp edge gets removed leaving nothing to bite into the polymer and hold it in place. I recomend if you remove the pin it be replaced with a new one.

Edit: Ace hardware sells "Roll Pin Punches" that are intended for this job.

:twisted:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think the original question has been answered very well so the poster should be able to figure this out. Although my following comments are very off-track of the original post, I feel compelled to make them. I don't mean to offend, and I'm not trying to pick on the original poster here as there seem to be more and more posts like this one as more and more people buy guns. I'm all for more people buying more guns, but at the same time, we all have a responsibility when we take that plunge.

I think it's imperative that a person who owns a gun, whether they intend to carry it for self defense or not, know some of the basics about their gun. I don't expect people to be able to completely strip a gun down to its indiviual parts, but you have to at least know enough so as not to hurt yourself while shooting it. Accidents happen when people don't take the time to inspect their guns and then don't stop shooting them if something is amiss. At the first sign of a roll pin walking it's way out, or a trigger not feeling like it used to, or a "bang" not sounding the same way it did last time, etc., etc., a person has to stop firing the weapon and inspect it. Let's be safe out there guys and gals. If you need to, please take a course to learn some basics about guns before you take on the responsibility of owning one. Again, even just the basics will go a long way toward helping you be safe. We can't just rely on some lifetime warranty to keep us safe. We have to do our part too.

Thanks for letting me rant a little. Again, no offense intended to the original poster.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no offense taken, mate... and your statement is very true.

In shooting nearly my entire life... i have never seen one of those move, so a name didnt exist. anything else, i wouldve known what it was or how to deal with it... that thing, though, i always assumed it was some support rod that was supposed to be there permanantly, and not removable. all of a sudden, i couldnt properly fit it in the holster, because it was out so bad... so i freaked. but, in the same spirit as your post... when i had to go to the range a bit later... i took a different gun.

I dont feel i know EVERYTHING, but i do know that when it looks strange... dont use the gun.

i do see people at the range, quite often, that scare me... for all the same reasons you described. firing guns, even though they keep pointing out that something is wrong with it...etc.

i even constantly see guys, that dont seem to understand that guns have come a long way since the wild west... do you know how many guys i see with a brand new gun, that dont realize that putting your thumb on the hammer and slowly letting it down by pulling the trigger is a "no no" ???? they have no clue that flipping on the safety will usually act as a take down. events like this point out that as times and equipment change... even old dogs needs to "update" their knowledge of the tricks.

so again, no offense... and i hope others read what you said. hell, after 20 years of experience, i was suddenly humbled by a "strange rod". it goes to show that there are always things to learn for everybody.

thanks.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
and... fixed.

thanks to all, for the help.

this sure as hell beat going to a gunsmith or smith & wesson.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
f bomb,

You could apply a small amount of blue loctite and then tap the pin back in if this happens again in the future. The loctite would prevent the pin from walking back out when it gets vibrated. Use the blue loctite since its not permanent like the red loctite.

If you should ever remove the roll pins completely in the future, you should always replace them with new ones.

I am preparing my M&P to do trigger work and removing the mag disconnect myself. I called S&W actually yesterday and roll pins cost .12 cents each through them.

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Whats the size of the punch for the roll pins, 1/8"? Is it the same for all the other pins, or would I need the 1/16"?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Unfortunately the Sears Hardware store I was at did not sell them separately so I had to buy the kit that came with a bunch of other sizes for $20. I was desperate one weekend.

There is a guy on the forum here that sells the correct size individually but for the life of me I forget his memberlist name. Maybe somebody will chime in and remind us.

·
Registered
119 Posts
This may not be the approved way, but it works for me. I pull the roll pin out, and take a pair of pliars using the serated jaws of the pliars and rough up pin, not where you would see it once its installed, but on the part that actually holds the pin to the frame. It works great, the pin never walks, but is removable for cleaning.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Jeff 9mm M&P said:
Unfortunately the Sears Hardware store I was at did not sell them separately so I had to buy the kit that came with a bunch of other sizes for $20. I was desperate one weekend.

There is a guy on the forum here that sells the correct size individually but for the life of me I forget his memberlist name. Maybe somebody will chime in and remind us.

JTaliani is his user name. I have a couple of punches coming from him as we speak.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts