MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yea, and if Smith makes these guns any longer that gap between the slide and frame will soon be a half an inch...sloppy engineering in this area IMHO...but people keep buying so there's no reason for S&W to fix this...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Picked up a new .45 yesterday. Haven't shot it yet, but I have no excessive movement at the end of the slide? In fact the lock up is pretty tight compared to any other plastic pistol I have owned or fired.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Citius said:
Picked up a new .45 yesterday. Haven't shot it yet, but I have no excessive movement at the end of the slide? In fact the lock up is pretty tight compared to any other plastic pistol I have owned or fired.

Really???? If you squeeze the slide and frame together right behind the front sight, you have no movement? This is really important because if you don't there are some defective frames out here. I ask because there is some flex on the 9mm and 40 full size but nowhere near as much as the .45. It's a good 1/8 inch of flex at least. Please let us know.

·
Registered
37 Posts
And I might add the lockup is actually tighter than my 9's as well. Maybe I got the new super dupper .45. Hope it shoots as well as my full size 9.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that means there is definately a bad set of frames. I'm calling Smith Monday and sending the gun to them. No way there should be a trigger that is in the 10lb range. And the frame flex can't be up to spec. I'll let the board know what happens. I'll still get a trigger job but not until I get a gun that is up to what should be the right QA. You didn't get a super duper gun, I think you got one that is bult the way they were supposed to be.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If it helps az larry, the slight flex I do get takes quite a bit of finger pressure. This is not some easy flex like you get on a Glock.

·
Registered
40 Posts
az larry said:
[quote name='Citius']Picked up a new .45 yesterday. Haven't shot it yet, but I have no excessive movement at the end of the slide? In fact the lock up is pretty tight compared to any other plastic pistol I have owned or fired.

Really???? If you squeeze the slide and frame together right behind the front sight, you have no movement? This is really important because if you don't there are some defective frames out here. I ask because there is some flex on the 9mm and 40 full size but nowhere near as much as the .45. It's a good 1/8 inch of flex at least. Please let us know.[/quote]

My .45 model has this also...

I checked on all the M&Ps in my local shop and they ALL have it...

It might be a design "flaw" so to speak but it might be designed into the weapon...who knows..

Remember these pistols are designed to work in dirty environments.

One thing to remember, also...this a polymer pistol, and as such, does not have continuous rails the length of the frame.

In theory the front could be hanging down an inch and it would not matter one bit! The only part that matters is where the frame rail begins to contact the slide grooves.

This is what determines the smooth action of the slide...not the dust cover part of the frame.

To say they are "defective", would be a stretch...in my opinion.

I agree...it's not "eye pleasing", but if the action is smooth, which it appears to be...it really does not affect accuracy one bit.

·
Registered
348 Posts
imo, it shoots the ammo i fed it, and makes tighter better groups for me than my glock.

it will leave my posession only when it fails to go bang or breaks. no sooner.

i like it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
az larry said:
I think that means there is definately a bad set of frames. I'm calling Smith Monday and sending the gun to them. No way there should be a trigger that is in the 10lb range. And the frame flex can't be up to spec. I'll let the board know what happens. I'll still get a trigger job but not until I get a gun that is up to what should be the right QA. You didn't get a super duper gun, I think you got one that is bult the way they were supposed to be.

GUYS! C'MON! STOP THIS MADNESS!!!

The frames are not defective. There is some flex in all of the dust covers of all M&P's regardless of caliber. The dust cover is just that, A DUST COVER!!! It does not affect the function of the M&P or any other pistol for that matter. As was stated previously, where it matters is the Frame rail/Slide rail fit, and you will not likely find another polymer framed pistol anywhere that has a more solid rail foundation then the M&P pistols.

It APPEARS that the 45 has a bigger "gap" then the other M&P series pistols because the bottom of the slide on the M&P45 is beveled upward, and the slide extends farther forward then the other caliber M&P's causing the optical illusion of a bigger gap. S&W designed this into the 45 for some functional reason (exactly why, I do not know). I do know that most everyone that I know of that has a new M&P45 reports exceptional accuracy for a $500-$600 polymer framed pistol.

Now, the trigger weight should be around 7.5-8.5lbs from the factory I believe, so if yours is at 10lbs as you claim, they may be able to do something about that for you. The only other legitimate concern that I see is the finish on most of the 45's that I have seen. Most of the finish on my 45's extractor was worn off when I received it new, and the finish on the slide appears to be wearing after only a few holsterings.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I called Smith and they are having me ship the pistol back. I'll let you all know what they say. I mentioned the trigger and the frame flex (still excessive IMO) and I'll see what they say. The trigger is supposed to be 6.5 lbs according to them, and like I said, mine bottoms out my RCBS scale. So, we'll see what the factory says.

·
Registered
26 Posts
az larry said:
Well, I called Smith and they are having me ship the pistol back. I'll let you all know what they say. I mentioned the trigger and the frame flex (still excessive IMO) and I'll see what they say. The trigger is supposed to be 6.5 lbs according to them, and like I said, mine bottoms out my RCBS scale. So, we'll see what the factory says.
Mine is about 6lbs +/- 1/2 lb, and to get the flex you talk about is almost impossible for me to make it happen. The slide has some slop, but not enough I would say to be of any factor in a combat gun. Now if I had paid $1100 to $2400 for the gun that would be different, but this is no Kimber Custom II either.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The gap between the frame and slide on my M&P 45 is exactly the same as my M&P 9mm, both of them are not much, although I haven't put a ruler to it. I'm no engineer but I doubt it's like that because they're lazy. There must be a reason for it or it wouldn't be designed that way. If it affected reliability or accuracy it wouldn't be that way because they'd lose sales and customers after they laid out what I'm sure is a very large amount of money to produce the M&P auto-loaders.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The flex on these is not consistant. Neither is the trigger. I went into a store yesterday as my gun is on the way back to Smith. The triggers and slide to frame fits were all over the map. Some had almost no flex, some had much more. These were all .45s, 3 with thumb safety and 2 or 3 without. All but one had as bad a trigger (over 8 lbs) as mine. One (without thumb safety) had the same decent trigger as the other full size M&Ps. One had an even worse trigger. Not only very heavy but was super gritty. IMO the guns that showed up in this town anyway were not QA'd well. Hopefully I will get one back that has been looked over by someone who knows what the gun is supposed to leave the factory like. I think that in the rush to beat other new .45s Smith had some sloppy QA. We'll see what I get back. Even if I get the 6.5 trigger I will probably send mine out for a 4.5 trigger job. But at least I want a gun built right to start with.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts