MP-Pistol Forum banner

What Palm Swell do you prefer?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started testing the palm swells. I’m debating between the medium/large but was wondering which swell others are using. I know this topic is completely subjective but figured a poll might be interesting anyhow...

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I took the large and ground off the side swells and re grooved it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea with the modification. I started with the medium and kind of got used to it. But when I recently tried the large I thought it was a better fit yet it was still a little fat.

Got any pics?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I've been using the medium since my girlfriend can use that one too. However, the large fits me better so I'm thinking about switching over as she will be getting her own soon. Probably will do the same thing Jester did.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I like the way the large feels the best, but just keep the Mediums on mine for now. Maybe I'll try the large next time I'm at the range.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Small for me, feels more like my 1911!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've played with all of them - My hands are on the larger side. I was working some drills today and determined the medium is probably the best for me - I ran several EL PREZ's with each and had my best runs, consistently, with the mediums. I also worked the plate rack at 11yards and was getting consistent runs in the 2.8 to 2.9 range - 6 plates from the holster. I think I'll stick with the medium grips.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
:oops:

I'll take one asap... days are just to short!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I like the medium. I actually prefer the feeling of the large, but I shoot better with the medium. It really sinks my hand under the beavertail. Plus, the medium allows my finger to reach the trigger with the first pad easier.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I haven't made it to the range yet (planning on going tomorrow) I have the small backstrap installed because it seems to fit me the best.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The large grip 'feels' better to my hands with my eyes closed, but the medium grip makes my M&P 9mm point better/quicker/more natural.

So I stuck with the medium size.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Small for me. I agree with Ysued, feels the closest to a 1911. On a 1911, I like a flat mainspring housing and short trigger best.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I too preferred the FEEL of the large grip insert, but the other day I was practicing drawing and aiming with my MP40 and I noticed something interesting. I found that while I "felt" that I had achieved a good proper grip on it, the alignment of the weapon was just slightly askew from being straight inline with my forearm. The alignment of the gun was just a tad off to the left.
I had to readjust my grip to get it back into alignment.

This made me recall my father's comment when he first fired the MP (I had the large insert in that day as well) when he said it "feels like it is trying to rotate in my hand".

So, I have switched to the medium insert and do not experience the same off-axis grip during draw tests. As Knut said, it now points more "naturally" for me too.

I'm sure this probably varies from person to person and hand-shape to hand-shape. This is one of the strong suits of the MP line, though - being able to adjust the grip to the shooter.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts