Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious as to what type of shooting stance everyone out there is using, so I thought I would post a little poll.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Weaver modified...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Weaver, including various Weaver weapon presentation techniques such as presentation left, right, rear, kneeling and prone. Also Weaver/Harries with a sure fire 6Z.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have always been able to group better when I use strong hand only ( one hand )

with any two hand grip I tend to pull left or high. It works why change it.

JW

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I use several stances dependant on scenario in play.

If you get into a shootout you don't want to jump into the open, plant your feet and then start looking for your oponent as you do in IPSC. Remain flexible and survive.

:twisted:

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
I don't come over on the Polling Area very often, I just dropped by to see what was going on.

I found this poll, I voted "Other" because in my case the answer isn't clear cut, I don't know why I do this, it's just natural for me, when shooting revolvers I shoot isosceles, it's automatic, and when shooting auto pistols, I will drop into a Weaver stance, I can shoot either, but when I'm shooting and not concentrating on what stance will I use, I will automatically drop into the ones dictated by the action type!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was trained at Gunsite and Front sight to use the Weaver but I have long sinse abbandoned it for the isosceles It is far more controllable and faster for side to side shots

·
Registered
673 Posts
weaver stance, cahnged it to weaver stance. I suppose you would call it. Like a martial arts stance, ready to defend... 8) Actually I haven't gotten ito the IPSA yet but been shooting Field for half a year qualifying for the pistol permit... Tried most stances I think? :?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Modern Iscosles offers the most mobility, flexibility and natural posture. Look at a boxer's stance, golfer's stance, Baseball outfielder, tennis player etc- They are all squared up on their target areas. You need a neutral stance to be most effective IMHO.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Modern Iscosles all the way!

Does anyone in any of the major shooting sports use the Weaver anymore?

IMO for what it worth. Not only in Modern Iscosles the quickest and the most accurate it works the best for room clearing etc. Also, try some retention drills with both stances. I teach some some disarms tactics and the Weaver gives you at a big disadvantage if someone attempts to disarm you.

The last time I saw someone use the Weaver was an old Marine CQB insturtor at an IDPA shoot. He really was not competive using it. I really noticed how much more you must expose yourself when using the Weaver also.

Just my 2 cent.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I don't really care what stance someone uses as long as he can make quick, accurate hits and function at the range for hours at a time. I tell students if they want to stand on one foot all day long, that's fine with me if they're comfortable, safe, and get their hits. The reality is that stance is dictated so much by the environment and the situation it's silly to require something rigid for students.

Having said that, I personally use a modified Iso/fighting stance. Or, as a lot of LE instructors like to call it, the Happenstance. Because it's the Stance that Happens when you're under real life-threatening stress. It's not an ideal stance from a pure shooting standpoint, but I'd rather practice what I'm likely to do for real than pretend that my training will overcome thousands of years of instinctive response to danger.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think the the poll needs a little tweaking. I trained Intermediate and Andvanced Pistol at Chapman Academy back in the 1980's, and the Man himself said his stance was basically a modified Weaver. Whatever, it works for me...

1 - 20 of 70 Posts