MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to take my carry class early next month and get my permit soon after that. I want to carry my fullsize 9, so what should I do to it.

Trigger job

New sights - Which ones? (I am not overly thrilled with the factory sights)

Remove Beavertail

Slide Melt - If so, how should I refinish it? I would assume something nonreflective.

Any other suggestions whould be appreciated?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
210 Posts
In all honesty you don't have to do anything to make it a good carry gun. All the stuff you mentioned is personal preference.....things you may like. do those things if you want, however don't feel they are necessary. I know there's a lot of talk about trigger jobs and such, the truth is the stock trigger is perfectly "suitable" for carry.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
wahoo95 said:
In all honesty you don't have to do anything to make it a good carry gun. All the stuff you mentioned is personal preference.....things you may like. do those things if you want, however don't feel they are necessary. I know there's a lot of talk about trigger jobs and such, the truth is the stock trigger is perfectly "suitable" for carry.
+1 here :wink: The trigger will get better with more rounds.You dont want a trick trigger for your carry gun imho

·
Registered
105 Posts
I want to carry my fullsize 9, so what should I do to it.

Trigger job

Remove Beavertail

Slide Melt - If so, how should I refinish it? I would assume something nonreflective.

Thanks in advance.

Trade it in and get a .40!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Just keep it clean, lubed and loaded.....and learn to shoot it well.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Just keep it clean, lubed and loaded.....and learn to shoot it well

Best advice yet. Just so you are comfortable with it and you know exactly what to expect from yourself and your gun should you need it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I thought I needed that exact list when I got my full sized 9mm. I spent good money and put myself on the waiting list for a great custom holster (still 20 weeks out), and put the rest of the roughly $300 it would cost to do all of those mods, and spent it on cheap ammo and went to the range. Who cares what it looks like, it will be hidden away (in a very comfy holster). And if it does get seen (used), I will be proficient at hitting what I want/need to hit.

So, if you have money burning a hole in your pocket, spend it on a good holster and ammo.

Good luck.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I agree w/ Wahoo and Arizona and will go one further to say that that list is all bells and whistles. . . .

To be considered a "solid carry gun," I'd personally reccommend at least 3,000 rds of fire with practice ammo to build confidence (these things are accurate. Are YOU?) along with another 7,000 dry fires. Only then would I suggest choosing a FACTORY defensive load and practicing with that factory load for accuracy and reliability before walking out the door with that thing under my shirt.

-B

·
Registered
215 Posts
Re: What should I do to a fullsize 9 to be a solid carry gun

utarch00 said:
I am going to take my carry class early next month and get my permit soon after that. I want to carry my fullsize 9, so what should I do to it.

Trigger job

Remove Beavertail

Thanks in advance.

Why not just keep it stock? I have a FS .40 I added Factory Night Sights I just bought a Nighthawk Serpa CQC setup. Trigger pull is perfect (I don't think I would like the idea of having a hair trigger on a carry weapon) in fact it improved 95% when I got rid of earplugs and got some 31db earmuffs. Now I go to the range more often.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Of all the modifications you have listed, the only one I see as possibly needed is the sights, which you have already addressed. You don't say in your post what your level of experience is. If you are a novice, I would recommend sticking as close to stock as possible, and becoming very comfortable with shooting in general before having action work done on a pistol. If you are an experienced shooter, going easy is still prudent. A gun that is suitable for leisurely target practice, or even advanced competition, is not always the same as one that is safe and sound for the street. Whatever you decide, the important thing is to become as competent as you can with whatever you intend to carry. As an aside, of the dedicated competitive shooters I know, those who carry tend to stick to either box stock or very lightly modified guns.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Put it in your holster.. :wink:

·
Registered
280 Posts
The firearm is already perfectly acceptable. The person carrying it needs as much training and practice drawing & reholstering with different styles of clothing and levels of concealment as possible. The last thing you want to do is fumble around with your concealing jacket for your pistol, when you really need it to be drawn seconds ago.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts