MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an m&p 2.0 45 and absolutely love it. I purchased new a m&p 9 for carry but it seems to have some build quality issues out of the box.

1. Trigger feels crunchy before hitting the wall, my 45 trigger is nice and smooth pulling back to the wall. The 9 feels like it is sometimes rubbing against something or hitting a rough spot.

2. Slide stop release does not work at all no matter how hard you try to push it down. Have to pull back on the slide to relieve tension off it and then you still have to push hard on the slide stop to get to retract. This makes loading a new mag somewhat awkward. Works no problem on my 45.

3. There seems to be excessive slop in the fit between the slide and gun itself. You can shake the gun from side to side and make it rattle pretty bad. Even at the front barrel end after racking can be moved side to side. My 45 does not make this rattle u less you really shake hard. It's just a much better fit between the two parts.

Should I send this in to SW or just deal with it hoping the release and trigger get better over time?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hmm. I think I understand your frustrations. I bought the 2.0 9MM first and was underwhelmed by the accuracy. While working on that (Apex trigger, Apex barrel replacements) I bought a 2.0 .45 acp and that sucker shoots rings around the 9MM 2.0. I'm perfectly happy with the 2.0 .45 and the only thing it needs is a good RMR milled into the slide to make it easier for my old eyes to use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm. I think I understand your frustrations. I bought the 2.0 9MM first and was underwhelmed by the accuracy. While working on that (Apex trigger, Apex barrel replacements) I bought a 2.0 .45 acp and that sucker shoots rings around the 9MM 2.0. I'm perfectly happy with the 2.0 .45 and the only thing it needs is a good RMR milled into the slide to make it easier for my old eyes to use.
I purposely bought another m&p 2.0 because of the 45. I wanted the exact same gun and trigger feel when I switched between the two. I could have spent couple hundred dollars less or a few more and gotten myself an AR but now i'm gonna have to make it work or its gonna get traded in. Gonna contact S&W today and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have an m&p 2.0 45 and absolutely love it. I purchased new a m&p 9 for carry but it seems to have some build quality issues out of the box.
1. Trigger feels crunchy before hitting the wall, my 45 trigger is nice and smooth pulling back to the wall. The 9 feels like it is sometimes rubbing against something or hitting a rough spot.
2. Slide stop release does not work at all no matter how hard you try to push it down. Have to pull back on the slide to relieve tension off it and then you still have to push hard on the slide stop to get to retract. This makes loading a new mag somewhat awkward. Works no problem on my 45.
3. There seems to be excessive slop in the fit between the slide and gun itself. You can shake the gun from side to side and make it rattle pretty bad. Even at the front barrel end after racking can be moved side to side. My 45 does not make this rattle u less you really shake hard. It's just a much better fit between the two parts.

Should I send this in to SW or just deal with it hoping the release and trigger get better over time?
1. My M&P45 2.0 Compact had a similar issue when new. Lubed it and shot a few hundred rounds through it and it didn't improve. Sent it back to S&W, and they did smooth it out somewhat, though it seems like the actual trigger release pressure might have increased. The trigger system of the M&P still isn't up to the standard of most similar pistols. If it bothers you, you will need to start replacing trigger parts. Apex is most commonly used for the M&Ps, and they have a very good rep. I decided I didn't want to modify my trigger, so I just deal wit it.

2. S&W will tell you - the slide LOCK is used to lock the slide back on the last round and is not designed to release the slide. Some guns will do it (like your .45) and some won't. There are videos out there (and threads here) about doing some modifications so it will release the slide smoothly. I never use mine that way, and just pull the slide back to chamber the first round.

3. How does the 9mm shoot? Put some rounds through it, try some different brands and bullet weights. If it groups well - leave it alone. These are not match guns, and need acceptable, but not 1-hole, accuracy. My .45 shoots dead-on out to almost 50 yards, but it's not necessary. Lube the slide and rails sparingly with a light synthetic grease to help smooth out the slide action.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I emailed with their tech support and that is what they said about the slide lock. Working as intended to them.

Still going to send it in over the rough trigger. Once I get it back I'll go shooting with it and determine if I want to keep or sell.

I thought about the Apex triggers but I don't want to throw money at the problem and I like the 2.0 triggers that works correctly like on my 45.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I emailed with their tech support and that is what they said about the slide lock. Working as intended to them.

Still going to send it in over the rough trigger. Once I get it back I'll go shooting with it and determine if I want to keep or sell.

I thought about the Apex triggers but I don't want to throw money at the problem and I like the 2.0 triggers that works correctly like on my 45.
An Apex striker block would take care of the gritty take up. That and one of their machined sears, along with the springs that come with each part will drop the trigger pull nicely.

A DIY fix for the grittiness is to remove the striker block, and polish the edges of the block, and the sides of the hole in the slide. You can also polish the part of the trigger connector that interacts with the striker block.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts