MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently using 165gr flatpoint with 5.6 grains this seems to work good with the 13lb spring. I however tried the same with both 4.8 gr and 5.2 grains and I have to rack the slide manually on the 4.8 and will not eject fully on the 5.2. I am now trying 180gr hp with 5.6gr will this work better or worse with 13lb spring. Should I but the 11lb spring for the 4.8 or less charges. One more question I do not have a cronograph so what would be an approximate Powerfactor and velocity. just some type of estimate.. Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks Brian

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
You don't mention what powder you are using or what caliber, but I take it is a 40 because of the bullet weight. I'm using 5.6 gr of Unique behind a Berrys 165 gr flat point, that load chronographs at an average velocity of 944 fps out of my M&P. To find out what velocity you are getting you will need access to a chronograph, there really isn't any way around that, you cannot depend on the velocity listed in the loading manuals, these are often rated out of special pressure test guns that are nothing like a regular pistol.

Over the years I did a lot of playing around with different recoil springs on a 1911, one thing that I found out is that after a while you aren't sure which spring is which, now I stick to standard springs and loads that work with the standard springs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts