MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering which states allow it. I thought AZ was the only state, but I took the 15 minute drive into NV today to register my mp40 and to pick up the paper work for a non-resident ccw and they told me if I choose to carry in NV It must be in plain view until I recieve my permit. With the registration card I can now also carry it loaded in the car and can be anywhere( under seat, on your lap). As without it being registered you can not open carry, or carry it in the vehicle loaded or within reach. It has to be locked away.

·
Registered
208 Posts
GA, open carry is allowed with a CCW permit. A little strange, but we have some vague firearm laws here anyway...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Maine has open carry for all. If you do it in Waterville or Portland though, you'll get pinched for brandishing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Minnesota also. As the permit states clearly it is a permit to carry, nothing to say it must be concealed. But the problem is when someone walks in to a busy book store on a friday night open carry people start to panic.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It is legal in both Virginia and North Carolina.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks very much. I would imagine it's frouned upon in many places where it is legal.

·
Registered
177 Posts
In general it's legal in Alabama but local's might have city ordnance's that differ. The few places I've open carried in Alabama I never had a problem come of it - but I wouldn't promise that to just anyone else.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
I didn't know I could open carry! Never really needed to. I learned my new thing for the day. Thanks.

It says that there may be a lack of preemtion or specific regulations for NC. Does anyone know what the restrictions may be?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
nope, I already knew what packing.org had to offer from my concealed carry class. I think NC's laws are too vague (I almost said that we have too few :oops: ). There are very few and they leave a lot open to interpretation.

Thanks for the link and looking out though. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
johndoe1027 said:
nope, I already knew what packing.org had to offer from my concealed carry class. I think NC's laws are too vague (I almost said that we have too few :oops: ). There are very few and they leave a lot open to interpretation.

Thanks for the link and looking out though. Much appreciated.

Basically what that means is that some localities may have laws against it. The Town of Chapel Hill, for instance, prohibits open carry. Localities cannot regulate CCW except as provided by state statute.

Open carry is legal in NC, but outside of a vehicle it is generally better to carry concealed due to the patchwork of local laws and the vague common law of "going armed to the terror of the people" which technically does not apply to otherwise legal open carry, but could become an issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Q - What do bad guys want?

A - Guns

Carry open and you become a target. You may not be able to defend yourself when jumped from behind with someone going after your gun.

Keep the element of surprise-- carry concealed.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Definitely legal in Idaho. This is a very gun friendly state. We also recognize valid concealed carry permits from any state. The state passed laws after hurricane Katrina so law enforcement cannot take away your firearms in times of crisis.

The only place I would ever open carry would be out in the boonies while camping, hiking, or fishing. If absolutely necessary I would be wearing the business type look so I'm perceived as somebody who looks like they should be carrying a gun and people don't get freaked out. I'm really hesitant to do it though. I was in the movie rental place a few months ago and a guy had a gun in the holster, no thumb break. He leaned over the counter (I was right behind him) had I wanted to I could have easily pulled it and shot him, assuming I'm familiar with the type of gun and what kind of safety.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do I need a permit if going to NC from VA?

I'm new to the gun owning experience, so sorry for the ignorant question, but if I want to go visit a friend in Fayateville, NC (Ft. Bragg) to go to the range with him, do I need any kind of permit. Here in VA you dont need a permit of any sort. If I carry it unloaded in my range bag in the trunk of my car, is that okay?

thanks for the info!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts