1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody else heard about this?

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/02/16/...ustria-Iran.php

I really like the part of the article that says:

Austrian economic ministry officials told state radio that their ministry had approved the sale of the "Glock" pistols last month, saying Iranian authorities had provided documentary evidence that they would not be passed on to others.

Do the good folks at Glock, Inc. really believe that none of the pistols will not end up in Iraq being pointed at our guys, either they are monumentally naive or they just don't give a damn. I know that Glock is in the business to make money but where do you draw the line?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Glock supporting Terrorism since 2007... Its old news, and it was a typo, and it was meant for Iraqi Police. It has since been cleared up, but I personally feel it was true. There is another thread here from February when this came out that explains it all. So dont get your panties in wad, just buy American... :wink: Oh wait, we sold arms to Saddam Hussein, in fact on separate occasions Desert Storm and OEF/OIF, I searched bunkers in Iraq and found plenty of "Made in the USA" ammo crates, larger weapons platforms like Howitzer's, etc... So we are not that innocent as we think we are... But I still hate Glock...

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Do not confuse Glock (an Austrian company) with a company concerned with American interests.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the clarification, I thought it was odd that a story like this wouldn't make more waves.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I x-posted this at another gun board and one of their mods said this is a fake article and has been debunked. I dont have time to look into this, but fyi.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
The U.S. sold arms to Iraq and Iran at the same time. We are the worlds biggest arms dealer by a long ways. Halliburton under Cheney did business with Iran.

http://www.mondovista.com/halliburton.html

"According to journalist Jason Leopold, sources at former Cheney company Halliburton allege that, as recently as January of 2005, Halliburton sold key components for a nuclear reactor to an Iranian oil development company. Leopold says his Halliburton sources have intimate knowledge of the business dealings of both Halliburton and Oriental Oil Kish, one of Iran's largest private oil companies."

"However, Halliburton has a long history of doing business in Iran, starting as early as 1995, while Vice President Cheney was chief executive of the company. Leopold quotes a February 2001 report published in the Wall Street Journal, "Halliburton Products and Services Ltd., works behind an unmarked door on the ninth floor of a new north Tehran tower block. A brochure declares that the company was registered in 1975 in the Cayman Islands, is based in the Persian Gulf sheikdom of Dubai and is "non-American." But like the sign over the receptionist's head, the brochure bears the companyÕs name and red emblem, and offers services from Halliburton units around the world." Moreover mail sent to the company's offices in Tehran and the Cayman Islands is forwarded directly to its Dallas headquarters."

During a trip to the Middle East in March 1996, Vice President Dick Cheney told a group of mostly U.S. businessmen that Congress should ease sanctions in Iran and Libya to foster better relationships, a statement that, in hindsight, is completely hypocritical considering the Bush administration's foreign policy.

"Let me make a generalized statement about a trend I see in the U.S. Congress that I find disturbing, that applies not only with respect to the Iranian situation but a number of others as well," Cheney said. "I think we Americans sometimes make mistakes . . . There seems to be an assumption that somehow we know whatÕs best for everybody else and that we are going to use our economic clout to get everybody else to live the way we would like."

"Cheney was the chief executive of Halliburton Corporation at the time he uttered those words. It was Cheney who directed Halliburton toward aggressive business dealings with IranÑin violation of U.S. lawÑin the mid-1990s, which continued through 2005 and is the reason Iran has the capability to enrich weapons-grade uranium.

It was Halliburton's secret sale of centrifuges to Iran that helped get the uranium enrichment program off the ground, according to a three-year investigation that includes interviews conducted with more than a dozen current and former Halliburton employees.

If the U.S. ends up engaged in a war with Iran in the future, Cheney and Halliburton will bear the brunt of the blame. But this shouldn't come as a shock to anyone who has been following Halliburton's business activities over the past decade. The company has a long, documented history of violating U.S. sanctions and conducting business with so-called rogue nations."

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The United State's government is responsible for, roughly, 80% of all arms sold world wide. Not a big surprise... we have to sell off surplus.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/0525-04.htm

ETA: isn't Austria also a neutral country? Just my guess, but I don't think they care WHO they sell to... kinda like how Sweden made ALL of the *ammunition* for NAZI Germany but refused to sell to America during WWII. Just a guess, but I'm thinking that is what their thinking about... that they don't care...

edited again to clarify the armament to ammunition

·
Registered
501 Posts
Grimwulff said:
The United State's government is responsible for, roughly, 80% of all arms sold world wide. Not a big surprise... we have to sell off surplus.

ETA: isn't Austria also a neutral country? Just my guess, but I don't think they care WHO they sell to... kinda like how Sweden made ALL of the armaments for NAZI Germany but refused to sell to America during WWII. Just a guess, but I'm thinking that is what their thinking about... that they don't care...

Really??? Man, them Swedes musta been damned busy little beavers....... 8)

One does wonder how the US would have received weapons from Sweden if they'd decided to sell to us given the Nazi's occupation of Denmark, Norway, the Baltic states and with Finland being a German ally :?

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
Grimwulff said:

ETA: isn't Austria also a neutral country? Just my guess, but I don't think they care WHO they sell to... kinda like how Sweden made ALL of the armaments for NAZI Germany but refused to sell to America during WWII. Just a guess, but I'm thinking that is what their thinking about... that they don't care...
I never knew that all those AK47's all over the world that were sold by Russia and China really came from the US!!!!! I didn't know that we made AK47's in the United States!!!!

I'll bet Mauser would be really surprised to hear that they were making their guns in Sweden during WW2, all this time the Germans thought Mauser was making most of their guns in Germany and German occupied countries, and to think of all the bombs the US dropped on those Mauser factories in Germany during WW2, I guess they wasted all that if the Swedes were really making them!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
G56 said:
[quote name='Grimwulff']The United State's government is responsible for, roughly, 80% of all arms sold world wide. Not a big surprise... we have to sell off surplus.

I never knew that all those AK47's all over the world that were sold by Russia and China really came from the US!!!!! I didn't know that we made AK47's in the United States!!!!

I'll bet Mauser would be really surprised to hear that they were making their guns in Sweden during WW2, all this time the Germans thought Mauser was making most of their guns in Germany and German occupied countries, and to think of all the bombs the US dropped on those Mauser factories in Germany during WW2, I guess they wasted all that if the Swedes were really making them!
[/quote]

To be more specific, I meant ammunition, not the guns themselves
Sweden was a huge supplier for the ammo of Germany, and since they remained neutral throughout the war, we did not bomb their factories, unlike the leveled rubble that was the German armament factories.

We never did, but most of the big missiles come from the US. HOWEVER, we do deal in AK-47s... http://www.indymedia.ie/article/75964

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
mikenkansas said:
[quote name='Grimwulff']The United State's government is responsible for, roughly, 80% of all arms sold world wide. Not a big surprise... we have to sell off surplus.

One does wonder how the US would have received weapons from Sweden if they'd decided to sell to us given the Nazi's occupation of Denmark, Norway, the Baltic states and with Finland being a German ally :?[/quote]

Well, after a lot of the nations were freed, the US actually did contact Sweden to buy more ammo for the forward troops, and they did turn down the US.

Not only stealing all the conquered gold, but supplied ze germans with ammo, I would say they were busy little beavers

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Yeah thats it..surplus nuclear centrifuges to Iran. I can hear Cheney rationalizing it now...:wink:

Grimwulff said:

ETA: isn't Austria also a neutral country? Just my guess, but I don't think they care WHO they sell to... kinda like how Sweden made ALL of the *ammunition* for NAZI Germany but refused to sell to America during WWII. Just a guess, but I'm thinking that is what their thinking about... that they don't care...

edited again to clarify the armament to ammunition

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Anyways, back on topic, has Glock made any kind of public statement regarding this? I'd like to see their take on it...

and was it really a misspelling? Are the arms meant for Iraq or Iran? Would like to know.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Grimwulff said:
[quote name='mikenkansas'][quote name='Grimwulff']The United State's government is responsible for, roughly, 80% of all arms sold world wide. Not a big surprise... we have to sell off surplus.

One does wonder how the US would have received weapons from Sweden if they'd decided to sell to us given the Nazi's occupation of Denmark, Norway, the Baltic states and with Finland being a German ally :?[/quote]

Well, after a lot of the nations were freed, the US actually did contact Sweden to buy more ammo for the forward troops, and they did turn down the US.

Not only stealing all the conquered gold, but supplied ze germans with ammo, I would say they were busy little beavers
[/quote]

So, am I to understand that Sweden did Not make all the "armaments" for Nazi Germany? Not all the panzers, not all the Mausers, not all the FW190's, not the Bizmark?

Damned bunch of slackers......

Oh, and you do have a source for the US's attempt to purchase ammunition for, I'd have to guess the Bofors 20MM?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
mikenkansas said:
Oh, and you do have a source for the US's attempt to purchase ammunition for, I'd have to guess the Bofors 20MM?

Liberalsrus.com? LOL, j/king. History Channel
I watch almost every NAZI/WWII show that comes on... mainly because I find the history of it interesting...

I watch way to much of it. It was about the specific activities of the Swedish during WWII. During the time of the push into Germany, the US walked into Sweden to look for gold, and do dealings with the government. Sweden turned them down on both accounts... mainly what they were looking for is stuff to use in picked up weapons during the German retreat, and some for their own weapons. Much like trophy guns, they did pick up weapons as the german army fleed.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Grimwulff said:
[quote name='mikenkansas']Oh, and you do have a source for the US's attempt to purchase ammunition for, I'd have to guess the Bofors 20MM?

Liberalsrus.com? LOL, j/king. History Channel
I watch almost every NAZI/WWII show that comes on... mainly because I find the history of it interesting...

I watch way to much of it. It was about the specific activities of the Swedish during WWII. During the time of the push into Germany, the US walked into Sweden to look for gold, and do dealings with the government. Sweden turned them down on both accounts... mainly what they were looking for is stuff to use in picked up weapons during the German retreat, and some for their own weapons. Much like trophy guns, they did pick up weapons as the german army fleed.[/quote]

well.......... considering the other "news" sources you site, the History Channel is certainly a step up, too bad they screw things up sometimes. And I'm not really bashing the History Channel, it's one of the few I watch on the boob tube. (boob, there's an interesting word, one meaning so nice and soft and fun , the other meaning not so nice)

Now think real hard about it....................... which of the beligerents commonly used the arms of the nations it had defeated?

If we'd already gotten into Germany, what possible need for Kraut arms did we have? Which of our divisions used Panthers or Tigers? Which division arty was using the 88's?

You're young, take a few years to actually learn a few things (hint: the dailykos MAY be just a teentsy bit biased), don't grow up to be one of those that are never right but always sure :wink:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
mikenkansas said:
well.......... considering the other "news" sources you site, the History Channel is certainly a step up, too bad they screw things up sometimes. And I'm not really bashing the History Channel, it's one of the few I watch on the boob tube. (boob, there's an interesting word, one meaning so nice and soft and fun , the other meaning not so nice)

Now think real hard about it....................... which of the beligerents commonly used the arms of the nations it had defeated?

If we'd already gotten into Germany, what possible need for Kraut arms did we have? Which of our divisions used Panthers or Tigers? Which division arty was using the 88's?

You're young, take a few years to actually learn a few things (hint: the dailykos MAY be just a teentsy bit biased), don't grow up to be one of those that are never right but always sure :wink:

Considering I'm not favoriting every article I ever come across in a mass list of favorites to be recalled at whim to be posted to a forum I just recently joined, does mean I have to actually search, and by search, I mean, put it into google, find the first remotely similar article, copy-paste, and be done with it. Least effort for something that is similar. Shy of paying the outrageous fees for Lexis-Nexis, that will be the best you get... which if you ever do, look up an article by May, a US Navy judge who precided over very interesting cases.

Age can determine a lot of things, but there are younger people then I who are masters of some of the hardest fields of math and physics out there, so don't be so quick to judge based on age.

Also, the meeting was quite pre-fall of Germany. I think the example of Germany's march into the USSR would be a good example of this... you can only go so far before you overstretch your supply lines. Drops of ammo via planes did happen, but it would be beneficial to the troops to get ammo and gear they need in the place they're at, wouldn't it? It does make sense that the US would try to get a forward supply of ammo, if not just for the security of having it.

But I digress, any further info on Glock? Was it really a misspelling?

·
Registered
501 Posts
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/02/16/...ustria-Iran.php

"VIENNA, Austria: Austrian authorities have approved the export of 30,000 handguns to Iran, local media reported Friday, days after a report that sophisticated Austrian rifles were finding their way into the hands of Iraqi insurgents."

as to the veracity of the report I can only say that the h-t is an english newspaper and we all know how the english are

interesting note at the end: "The U.S. imposed sanctions on Steyr in December 2005, forbidding it from obtaining U.S. export licenses to do business in America. The Austrian government condemned the decision at the time, saying it made no sense to punish the company after the fact."

wondered why steyrs were being sold cheap by CDNN last year

I think young people do well in math because it's so fluid, so many nuances, so alive and changing.

One should caution youth to not follow every new school of math that comes along, regardless how fresh, exciting and reasonable it sounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongue-in-cheek

1 - 20 of 22 Posts