MP-Pistol Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
They are going to produce a pair of 10mm M&P 2.0s any moment now--a full size and a 45c equivalent--I just know it. The best handling, most-comfortable and controllable, best-looking polymer auto pistols available, with the aesthetics and ergonomics we've come to expect.

That's what's next. :)

Oh, and there will be no goofy 'finger hook' on the trigger guard, and they'll offer at least one full size model with no tac rail...just extra beef.

·
Registered
402 Posts
They are going to produce a pair of 10mm M&P 2.0s any moment now--a full size and a 45c equivalent--I just know it. The best handling, most-comfortable and controllable, best-looking polymer auto pistols available, with the aesthetics and ergonomics we've come to expect.

That's what's next. :)

Oh, and there will be no goofy 'finger hook' on the trigger guard, and they'll offer at least one full size model with no tac rail...just extra beef.
If they don't you can always easily convert a M&P45 into a 45 Super. Is it 10mm?
No, but its pretty close. Plus if you can find a police trade for cheap all you have to do is basically buy a Wolff guide rod and 24lb recoil spring.
While I doubt you find a police trade in a 2.0 the 1.0s are out there.
If you have to have a 2.0 which is the name of this thread then you pick one up for $400. https://gunprodeals.com/product/smith-wesson-11523-mp-m2.0-double-45-automatic-colt-pistol-acp-4.5-101-black-interchangeable-backstrap-grip-black-stainless-steel
I would imagine the 2.0 would be more suitable for the conversion because of the steel insert in the frame and the more aggressive grips.
The 45 Super Page - Use this as a reference.
Right now you can have a 2.0 that is very close to 10mm plus "full power" 10mm loads aren't cheap.
Regular 10mm is basically just hot .40 so you are going to spend some money on ammo either way.
Swap back to the factory guide rod and you can shoot .45 ACP all day.
Just throwing that out there if you need something right now with some serious OOMPH in a M&P.
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/have-a-case-of-10mm-envy-try-a-45-super-conversion/

·
Registered
403 Posts
I actually don't care that much about the 'oomph'...and I don't care if the loads are max loads or beyond. I haven't shot factory ammo in well over a decade, except for 22 LR and 12 Ga--so that's not a factor for me either. I would just enjoy my favorite polymer in my favorite caliber/capacity combo. For whatever reason, however mysterious, there is no handgun I own that I'm able to shoot as fast and accurately as my MP45c, and I'd like to enjoy a similar experience with an MP10c. No guarantee that would happen even if the gun were produced...but I'm willing to try!

·
Registered
16 Posts
If they don't you can always easily convert a M&P45 into a 45 Super. Is it 10mm?
No, but its pretty close. Plus if you can find a police trade for cheap all you have to do is basically buy a Wolff guide rod and 24lb recoil spring.
While I doubt you find a police trade in a 2.0 the 1.0s are out there.
If you have to have a 2.0 which is the name of this thread then you pick one up for $400. https://gunprodeals.com/product/smith-wesson-11523-mp-m2.0-double-45-automatic-colt-pistol-acp-4.5-101-black-interchangeable-backstrap-grip-black-stainless-steel
I would imagine the 2.0 would be more suitable for the conversion because of the steel insert in the frame and the more aggressive grips.
The 45 Super Page - Use this as a reference.
Right now you can have a 2.0 that is very close to 10mm plus "full power" 10mm loads aren't cheap.
Regular 10mm is basically just hot .40 so you are going to spend some money on ammo either way.
Swap back to the factory guide rod and you can shoot .45 ACP all day.
Just throwing that out there if you need something right now with some serious OOMPH in a M&P.
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/have-a-case-of-10mm-envy-try-a-45-super-conversion/
Interesting. So, only a 24lb spring and guide rod, no other modifications? The 45 super rounds aren’t too much pressure? Noob to this, just curious.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I actually don't care that much about the 'oomph'...and I don't care if the loads are max loads or beyond. I haven't shot factory ammo in well over a decade, except for 22 LR and 12 Ga--so that's not a factor for me either. I would just enjoy my favorite polymer in my favorite caliber/capacity combo. For whatever reason, however mysterious, there is no handgun I own that I'm able to shoot as fast and accurately as my MP45c, and I'd like to enjoy a similar experience with an MP10c. No guarantee that would happen even if the gun were produced...but I'm willing to try!
They would have to make a 10mm barrel and magazines to fit 10mm cartridges. Other then that I don't think they would have to make a completely different frame but they might have to to fit the magazines. The .45 frame especially in 2.0 should easily be able to handle the 10mm. If you go across the net there are quite a few people who want to see a M&P in 10mm. Will it happen? If S&W sees it as a profitable venture yes, if not then it won't happen. The major problem is pretty much every PD is going down to 9mm and actually dropping the .40 and .45 because their LEOs cant handle the recoil. Is S&W willing to chance that they will make a profit worth the effort?

Their R&D department would be the ones who would have to see what it would take and crunch the numbers. IMO since they dropped the .357 SIG I doubt it and that's just a barrel they have to produce. There's nothing special they have to do but make a barrel, the stock .40 magazines work and possibly they throw in a slightly stronger recoil spring. They dropped that and what is the real cost to them to make the barrels? $30?

Honestly I don't see a M&P in 10mm because really the watered down 10mm that most sell are the same compared to stout .40s. If I'm out in the woods do you think my Delta Elite is loaded with anemic water down 10mm which is really just a hot .40 or the full power 10mm loads that are 200fps faster and have 200 ft lbs more energy? That's the appeal of the 10mm, it was originally a round that was very close to a .41 magnum. You have to look at that aspect, is S&W going to retool to make a slightly hopped up .40? After they dropped the .357 SIG because it was seen as a hopped up 9mm honestly I doubt it but would like to see it happen the proper way, a 10mm pistol that can handle the stout full power 10mm rounds.

It's all about profit and not what a group of people want. There is also a liability issue that Glock doesn't care about, who cares if some people blow off their hands or get blinded?
Glock does it because all they have to do is change some parts, their system is more modular but isn't really trustworthy with full power 10mm loads.
The M&Ps are more about being designed around the cartridge, hence you really cant drop a 9mm barrel in a 40 or vice versa, the slides are different so the barrel hoods are also.
To make this short, it's Glock Kaboom and not S&W Kaboom.
https://www.full30.com/watch/MDIwNjUx/glock-20-10mms-blowing-up

·
Registered
402 Posts
Interesting. So, only a 24lb spring and guide rod, no other modifications? The 45 super rounds aren’t too much pressure? Noob to this, just curious.
I did it with a 1911 and it's a beast. It was a $20 conversion. I had a full length guide rod laying around and the recoil spring and the flat-bottom firing pin stop were about $20. While the pressures are higher, the 45 super cartridge has thicker brass so no problems with the barrel. It's super fun and if I want to change back to .45+P I really don't have to do a thing, it cycles. If I use regular range ammo, not going to happen, I have to go to a lighter recoil spring.

H&K full size .45s are capable of firing 45 Super stock and that's with a 16 lb recoil spring which I don't recommend with a M&P or 1911, 22-24 lbs minimum. As for pressures a 9mm is 35,000 psi (38,500 for +P) and a 45 super is 28,000 psi. That's 10,000 psi less them a 9mm+P so pressures aren't a huge issue. Have you seen how thin some short 9mm barrels are on other makes? They are capable of 35,000psi so I doubt a beefy 45 barrel with a round that has thicker brass is going to have a problem with 28,000 psi.
I wouldn't try it on say a Hi-Point though.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'd guess 2.0 versions of their Pro and Pro CORE line would be next.
Actually the 2.0 CORE is in production but limited to LEO sales for the time being. It should hit the consumer market fairly soon. No one, including the S&W's Customer Service Rep I spoke with, knows why it took so long.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Apparently enough that S&W is willing to limit 2.0 CORE sales to them for the present. I expect red dots on LEO guns to be quite common in the future as the advantages are too many to ignore.
No argument they are going to be common eventually. I know multiple cops in my area that have personal guns with RDS but their duty guns are not allowed.
I just wondered if you had an idea of how many are currently allowing it .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Actually the 2.0 CORE is in production but limited to LEO sales for the time being. It should hit the consumer market fairly soon. No one, including the S&W's Customer Service Rep I spoke with, knows why it took so long.
Thanks for the heads up Smith. I get the feeling that this maybe an elephant pregnancy. I sure hope not.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts