YukonGlocker said:
Target:

CCI Blazer

WWB

Fed. Am. Eagle

Carry:

Winchester Ranger

Speer Gold Dot

I use the same ammo as YukonGlocker for the same purpose except for the Fed. Am. Eagle. I have never bought any of that reason for some reason. I have used the Gold Dot for several years and have just started using the Ranger ammo. It is impressive stuff!

Ron

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm a very firm believer in heavy-for-caliber bullets to benefit penetration. I stick closely to 180 gr. in both 10mm and .40 cal. In my M&P I shoot Speer 180 gr. Gold Dots. They run reliably and I'm very confident in their performance. I see no need to go with light weight bullets. Max velocity/energy is not my objective; deep penetration with good to very good expansion is the key for me. My choices are 230 gr. JHP in .45 acp, 180 gr. JHP in 10mm and .40 caliber, 147 gr. JHP in 9mm, 158 gr. or 145 gr. JHP in .357 magnum.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The new Speer GoldDot short barrel load is a good carry round.

·
Registered
130 Posts
As noted in the other thread, Hydra-Shok was state of the art 15 years ago. Modern ammunition which has been designed for robust expansion against clothing and intermediate barriers is significantly superior to older designs. In particular, the 135 gr Hydrashok offers horrible terminal performance.

While an intriguing idea, in all the independent testing I have seen to date, the EFMJ has unfortunately exhibited inconsistent terminal performance. In no case, has an EFMJ performed as well as the better JHP’s in each caliber.

From Shep Kelly, the well respected, former LE/Mil rep for Federal Cart:

As with any ammunition product, what happens during the R&D stage and what happens in the actual production of millions of rounds stage, can be quite different. The EFMJ is dependent on velocity - needs to be at the upper end of the SAAMI envelope in all calibers, and the rubber/silicon used in the nose plug, coupled with the internal/external jacket scoring has to be 'just right' for it to work the way it was designed and did in initial testing. Tremendous concept! A bit tricky to consistently execute.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well, since this seems to have turned into a what ammo do you shoot/carry thread, I'll chime in.

For carry, here goes:

.38 Special, Speer Gold Dot 135 grain JHP(+P)

9x19mm, Speer Gold Dot 124 grain JHP(+P) or Winchester Ranger 115 grain JHP(+P+)

.40 S&W, Winchester Ranger 180 grain SXT or Winchester Silvertip 155 grain JHP

.45 ACP, Winchester Ranger 230 grain SXT

I don't carry a .357 Magnum, but if I did, I'd go with the Federal Classic 125 grain JHP.

For Plinking/IDPA/target:

.38 Special, 158 grain LSWC handload at (+P) velocity/pressure

9x19mm, WWB 115 grain FMJ

.40 S&W, WWB 165 grain FMJ

.45ACP, WWB 230 grain FMJ

As far as personal defense goes, I'm a fan of light or medium weight and fast in the middle calibers, .38, .357, 9x19mm. For the .40, I don't much care between the medium weight/fast, and the heavier/slower, I don't like the high pressure/velocity 135 grainers or the medium velocity 135 or 165 grain loads. My choices above are a 155 grain bullet at 1200fps or a 180 grain bullet at almost 1000fps. For the .45ACP, I'll carry anything weight you want, so long as that is 230 grains.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Despite what you might read in gun rags, both the Winchester Ranger 9 mm 115 grain JHP(+P+) and the .357 Mag Federal Classic 125 grain JHP are both poor performers.

·
Registered
129 Posts
DocGKR said:
Despite what you might read in gun rags, both the Winchester Ranger 9 mm 115 grain JHP(+P+) and the .357 Mag Federal Classic 125 grain JHP are both poor performers.

OK, based on what? Do you have personal experience with them not working, or is that opinion based on something you read somewhere?

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Not that Doc can't speak for himself, but I doubt he wants to toot his own horn. To say he has "personal experience with them not working" is the understatement of the year. He's a "newb" on this forum but has quite an extensive background in ballistics.

Just wait until you hear what he has to say about .357 SIG. :wink:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
59 Posts
45 GAP

Landric .......

I did not see a 45 GAP round in the mix. I think that the 45 GAP round is gaining more "traction" as more LEOs are adopting the round.

I looked at a couple of rounds in the store and there is something to be said for it. The 45 GAP balistics data seemed to show improved (over a 45ACP) performance in a smaller casing.

What gives? I am considering moving to the 45GAP. If only S&W could suck it up and make a MP compact in the 45 GAP round. :?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts