MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and her grandmother are having a garage sale in a not so good part of town this weekend, thinking that the people around there will buy anything. And with all of them getting the government checks on Friday since the 1st is on Sunday, they'll have money to blow on stupid stuff.

But I'm going partially to play bodyguard and I've been contemplating carrying open, in hopes of deterring any person that might get an idea of something stupid. I pretty much always carry concealed but I pro's to both sides and some con's to each as well. So what would you do?

I doubt anything will happen, but I plan on being ready for anything.

·
Registered
188 Posts
DixieThunder 24 said:
My wife and her grandmother are having a garage sale in a not so good part of town this weekend, thinking that the people around there will buy anything. And with all of them getting the government checks on Friday since the 1st is on Sunday, they'll have money to blow on stupid stuff.

But I'm going partially to play bodyguard and I've been contemplating carrying open, in hopes of deterring any person that might get an idea of something stupid. I pretty much always carry concealed but I pro's to both sides and some con's to each as well. So what would you do?

I doubt anything will happen, but I plan on being ready for anything.

Since NC is an open carry state and you'll be on private property, you should be safe legally. Cons? Well, I suppose that some shoppers who are ignorant of firearms may freak out at the sight of a person carrying a weapon that is not a police officer. So...you could scare shoppers away. Also, you eliminate any element of surprise. I think you've already mentioned the pros.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I personally would carry concealed.. As the old saying goes.. Never show your hand.. Keep it as your ace up your sleave..

Ben

·
Registered
34 Posts
What city in IN is it and what part?

I'd definitely keep it covered. Society is much safer when criminals dont know whos armed. You also dont wanna cause a panic and have cops coming to investigate the "crazy guy with the gun". Rumors and lies are easy to spread and I wouldn't put it past anyone in a "not so good part of town" to try and start crap between you and the police.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I concur. I think you'd be better off concealed. Even if you're in a bad area, the odds are still pretty low that there'd be trouble. The odds are much higher that someone would freak out over seeing your gun.

But if you're in Gary bring a shotgun.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
A RIGHT that goes unused is a RIGHT that dissapears entirely.

I carry both open and concealed from time to time.

Unless we excercise the right to do so it will probably go away. IMHO

·
Registered
910 Posts
TOF said:
A RIGHT that goes unused is a RIGHT that dissapears entirely.

I carry both open and concealed from time to time.

Unless we excercise the right to do so it will probably go away. IMHO

I agree. I've never carried open, as it's illegal in SC. But I ordered a CQC CF Serpa for my M&P45 last night, and had it shipped 2nd day air, so I can open carry this weekend in NC when we visit my wife's family.

I would OC if legal.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
binkerton said:
What city in IN is it and what part?

I'd definitely keep it covered. Society is much safer when criminals dont know whos armed. You also dont wanna cause a panic and have cops coming to investigate the "crazy guy with the gun". Rumors and lies are easy to spread and I wouldn't put it past anyone in a "not so good part of town" to try and start crap between you and the police.

Its east side of Indianapolis.

bam-bam said:
I concur. I think you'd be better off concealed. Even if you're in a bad area, the odds are still pretty low that there'd be trouble. The odds are much higher that someone would freak out over seeing your gun.

But if you're in Gary bring a shotgun.

lol,
No, I'm not up that way thank God.

Thanks for the thoughts, some good points made. I think I agree with the majority and will carry concealed.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Concealed...

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
concealed. i concur with the thought of keeping your ace up your sleeve in this situation.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would have to say concealed. Yes I agree with above answers that a right that is not exercised is one that can be removed but if it is a family thing then I would go concealed if you think there will be major trouble then you could keep a scatter gun loaded near by.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
woodeckt said:
I would have to say concealed. Yes I agree with above answers that a right that is not exercised is one that can be removed but if it is a family thing then I would go concealed if you think there will be major trouble then you could keep a scatter gun loaded near by.

If I think there will be major problems where I am going I don't go.

:twisted:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well my yard sale in the ghetto is over. We sold so much stuff the first day we didnt even come back the second day because it wasnt worth it. Made almost 400 bucks, sadly the wife is making me put it in the bank for the kid we're getting ready to have. I wanted to buy another tool (gun), one for her but she wasn't having any of that.

But everything went fine, I didnt have to shoot or even draw my MP on anyone. I did carry concealed most of the time, whenever I would sit down though I actually put my shirt between my body and the gun that way it would be easier to draw if nessecary.

My wife's grandpa was there carrying his revolver too, he was carrying open the whole time. And one time when he was walking back from the store, some guy drove by and yelled "Cover that **** up!" Apparently that guy didnt like him carrying open, but we never had any problems with anyone. So it seems some people dont appreciate other's carrying open like that, which is understandable I think.

Oh! I also found me a free extra mag holster too. My jeans belt loop!
I don't have a real holster so I was messing around trying to find a good place to put it were I would be able to get to it fast if needed, and it fit in my belt loop and never once got in my way or hurt me by poking me or anything like that. However, the notch that the mag release catches on, did tend to snag on the loop some, but that was mostly just because I kept messing with it.

Well I just thought I'd share that info.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts