MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

So, I bought a Police Trade in M&P40 the other day and it only came with 1 magazine. A quick search online found some from AIM that were used for cheap so I bought a few of them. After getting them, I discovered a couple of things and the "New" old ones worked better in my pistol.

First, the butt plate is different. The Original one looks very much like the Glock designed plates, with the take down floor plate lock in the center of the base. The "newer" used ones have the take down close to the rear of the base. In the photos I'm including, the Original one is on the Right, and one of the other units I just bought is on the Left.

The other thing I found was that the "newer" magazines activate the slide lock every time I cycle the pistol with an empty magazine in it. The original magazine doesn't do it every time. Looking at them side by side, I can see the follower in the original magazine is shorter and has a fatter front area than what is on the "newer" magazines. I wonder if this is a 9mm Follower in my .40S&W?

Other than that, and a few slight marking design differences, they look identical. You can see the "newer" followers in the above photo are marked with a 40 on it, while the one on the right doesn't. The Bluing on the original one is shinier than the others, but the marking and the script(other than what's on the base plate) are the same.

Any ideas?
Thanks Ahead for the input.

John

·
Registered
332 Posts
My Full size 40, & 40C, both from 2008, and my M2.0 Compact from 2019, all have what appear to be identical base plates and they look like your one on the right.

·
Registered
371 Posts
On my 9mm mags I made sure all of them were the newer style with square locking mechanism near the rear of the plate about 5 years ago. I sold all the .40's at that time.
My reason was because I now use Vickers base plates and they won't work with the older round locking mechanism near the middle if the plate.
The Vickers plates are on the right in the pics.

I'm not sure when or why they were changed, but above explains my reason for dumping the old style.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like those vickers base plates. I might look into getting a few of those for mine.
My pistol was made in 2007, it was a police trade in so I don't know how old my magazine actually is.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I have 14 M&P9 mags, going back to the first one I bought in ‘07. I think the newest of the three pistols I have was made in mid-2013, and I probably haven’t bought any M&P9 mags since 2014-15.

All work flawlessly, and all have been used in shooting IDPA and high round count training courses.

None have ever been taken apart and cleaned, and they’ve all been dropped on the ground in grass and sand, a lot. I’ve never changed the mag springs or base pads on any as yet. I do occasionally wipe off the follower with a rag or paper towel, so I guess that sorta’ counts as almost cleaning them.

All three of the pistols can go over 1500 rounds without any cleaning and still function reliably.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts