MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was playing around with my 2.0 compact trying the different back straps on the gun. I've been using the small since I got the gun because I felt it would conceal better, but switched to the ML. The ML feels better in my hand and points better. It also seems to cause me to get a more consistent placement of my finger on the trigger resulting in slightly better groupings. I'm just curious to see which one others have found to work best for them.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Pretty sure I have the Medium on my .45 2.0 Compact

Whichever one it is, it places my finger on the trigger and fills my palm just right.

Haven't found any other pistol that does that.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have found that the large backstrap gives me the most control, and the most consistent sight alignment when I bring the gun up to my eye. This is how I carry my 2.0 compact, even though the Medium-Large feels better in the hand... In this case, I'd rather have function over form.

Reactions: haroldg48

·
Registered
61 Posts
The proper fit is all dependent on the size of one's hands.

Or to put it another way, there is no one size is best for all.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The proper fit is all dependent on the size of one's hands.

Or to put it another way, there is no one size is best for all.
I also think the size of the M&P plays a role. For my full size with the longer grip, the small works best (very close to a 1911) and with my compacts I get the best groups with the medium.
It really does all come down to hand size though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Choosing a back strap

I have small hands, only slightly bigger than Rob Leatham's. Add to this my strong hand index finger is shorter due to an accident, most would expect me to use a small back strap. The medium large works best for me. Below is the method I use to choose which one to use.

Check that the gun is not loaded. Put in a the back strap, holster the gun, pick out a relatively small target. Close your eyes and draw, then freeze and open your eyes. Where are the sights? If they are not on or very close, try a different back strap. If you dry fire before doing this, it won't tell you which one is best. Do it cold.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use the small backstrap on my full size M&P40. My hands are below average size (though I wear a size large glove). If a -small backstrap were available I would probably use that. The handguns that fit me best are a 1911 with flat MSH & short trigger, the Shield and Kahrs.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've got a Pro 9 that now has the Apex Flat face trigger kit in it, and I'm thinking about changing from Large to Medium. I'm going to shoot it with each and see how it feels. I've been using the large, and now that the trigger is lighter I may not need quite so much palm swell for my dominant hand...I'll report back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, new to the Forum.

Just purchased an M&P 9c and have opted for the large back strap for now, but haven't shot with it yet, so that could change. I definitely like having the option for S/M/L and how easy it is to switch them out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts