MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, I haven't been on this board long but from the different post I have read there seems to be at least 2 different variations of the M&P .40 mine is a full size .40 and have the words "CAUTION: CAPABLE OF FIRING WITH MAGAZINE REMOVED" and what would be the purpose of having a pistol that doesn't fire with the magazine removed :?:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Pistols not capable of firing with the magazine removed, were an early idea for law enforcement safety; the idea being that an officer could render the firearm useless by pressing the magazine release should he (or she) be in danger of losing control of it in a physical confrontation.

From what I've heard, several law enforcement agencies refuse to purchase firearms with that feature, and others refust to purchase ones without. For non-law enforcement is serves more of a nuisance than a safety feature. Firearms should be unloaded when not being ready for use, instead of relying on a defeatable mechanical device.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
Fallschirmjäger said:
Pistols not capable of firing with the magazine removed, were an early idea for law enforcement safety; the idea being that an officer could render the firearm useless by pressing the magazine release should he (or she) be in danger of losing control of it in a physical confrontation.
I've read in some magazines that exact situation has happened a few times, it's one of those things that can go either way, it can be an advantage or disadvantage depending on the exact situation.

·
Registered
169 Posts
That feature is in place so they can sell them in Massachusetts.Gun laws in Mass state a new pistol must have a magazine release safety and a 10 LB trigger. I like the magazine safety, I hate the 10LB trigger.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It is my understanding that for a new handgun to be Massachusetts compliant it must have a "Loaded Round Indicator or Magazine Disconnect". The M&P has both, with the magazine disconnect being an option both versions are currently being sold here.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
my .40

I purchased my M & P .40 beck in October I dont know when they came out but from my guess very early into the promo but I am glad there needs to be a magazine to fire with a little one around it just makes it easier to keep her safe

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nutshell said:
That feature is in place so they can sell them in Massachusetts.Gun laws in Mass state a new pistol must have a magazine release safety and a 10 LB trigger. I like the magazine safety, I hate the 10LB trigger.

That is technically incorrect, but partially correct: Meaning. The feature is NOT in place so they can be sold in Massachusetts. In this State, MA after 1998 our new handguns must be sold with a 10lb trigger and ONE of the following: "Magazine disconnect, OR chamber loaded indicator."

I live in MA, and am the proud owner of a new M&P 40 with NO magazine disconnect. The gun was sold to me with the 10lb trigger and the "chamber loaded" indicator, making it "MA Compliant"

I have since swapped out the 10lb trigger with the regualr 6lb. Perfectly legal since our guns only have to be SOLD with those conditions.

·
Registered
246 Posts
FWIW,

The magazine safety is required on all new pistols sold in California, along with magazine capacity limited to ten rounds.

Law enforcement is exempt from these rules.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Re: my .40

101Combat Vet said:
I purchased my M & P .40 beck in October I dont know when they came out but from my guess very early into the promo but I am glad there needs to be a magazine to fire with a little one around it just makes it easier to keep her safe

Since we went to M&P's I instruct all my officers with weapon retention tactics and I also show them that dropping the mag may or may not render the firearm disabled. If you drop the mag with no slack on the trigger you should be safe ( I hate to say that) If you are dropping the magazine and the trigger slack is taken up, once that mag falls the pistol will go bang if a round is in the chamber, since the sear has been partially engaged. It's a catch 22 with mag disconnects, we opted for mag disconnects but I show that they are not 100% safe and they can be manipulated.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My department issued M&P40 has the mag disconnect. Of my personal M&Ps, of which there are several, only my M&P9c has the disconnect, and that is just because I couldn't find one with night sights and without the disconnect.

I use my M&P9 full-size for IDPA, where the disconnect is really a hassle. I use my personal M&P40 as a duty weapon for my part-time LE job, and I perfer not to have the disconnect. I carry the 9c off-duty, and I have been thinking about removing the disconnect from it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sf3pox1 said:
[quote name='Nutshell']That feature is in place so they can sell them in Massachusetts.Gun laws in Mass state a new pistol must have a magazine release safety and a 10 LB trigger. I like the magazine safety, I hate the 10LB trigger.

That is technically incorrect, but partially correct: Meaning. The feature is NOT in place so they can be sold in Massachusetts. In this State, MA after 1998 our new handguns must be sold with a 10lb trigger and ONE of the following: "Magazine disconnect, OR chamber loaded indicator."

I live in MA, and am the proud owner of a new M&P 40 with NO magazine disconnect. The gun was sold to me with the 10lb trigger and the "chamber loaded" indicator, making it "MA Compliant"

I have since swapped out the 10lb trigger with the regualr 6lb. Perfectly legal since our guns only have to be SOLD with those conditions.
[/quote]

I thought they all had the 6.5 lb trigger pull.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I went right to S&W to purchase my full size M&P 40 and it has the 10 LB trigger and mag saftey. I wasn't aware you could choose beetween a chamber indicator or the mag saftey. I also asked if they could change the trigger to the 6.5LB trigger and they told me no. I have yet to find someone I trust to work on this trigger.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I went right to S&W to purchase my full size M&P 40 and it has the 10 LB trigger and mag saftey. I wasn't aware you could choose beetween a chamber indicator or the mag saftey. I also asked if they could change the trigger to the 6.5LB trigger and they told me no. I have yet to find someone I trust to work on this trigger.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nutshell said:

I'm quite sure that some folks at S&W don't even understand what is really required for us poor souls that live in MA. Wrt not working on the trigger- I talked to someone at S&W CS that said there isn't anyway to work on these triggers. :roll:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts