MP-Pistol Forum banner

white box prices going up

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  tstrenuous10 
#1 ·
I just drove over to Wally World on my lunch hour to pick up a few boxes of WWB. The clerk said I came at a good time because he just got a price change sheet for 200 products, most of them being ammo. He told me the new prices would be in place as soon as he scanned them all in later today. Price for the 100rd WWB is usually around $17 and some change, the new price was about $2 more. I went in for 2 boxes and left with all the boxes they had.

I don't know if the prices are just going up at this store (Gurnee, IL), or at Walmarts everywhere.

Just thought I would let everybody know, I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

-Trip

#3 ·
Prices on ammo and the components to reload ammo have been going up quite a bit, they started going up about a year ago, and some of the increases have been shocking. The prices of many of the metals used in making ammo have gone up tremendously in the last year.

I knew that a lot of manufacturers raise their prices on Jan 1, I had been meaning to reorder a bunch of bullets just so I would have a good inventory for reloading purposes, I goofed around and put it off too long. The morning of Jan 2 I finally got "round tuit" and almost fell out of my chair at the price increases! I did some shopping around and found the same components at other distributors that hadn't raised their prices yet, I still paid more than I would have paid if I had been timely in my order, but I beat at least part of the increases.

As an example, the primary bullet that I use for my 223 loads has gone up aprox 50% in the last 2 years!

#4 ·
G56 said:
Prices on ammo and the components to reload ammo have been going up quite a bit, they started going up about a year ago, and some of the increases have been shocking. The prices of many of the metals used in making ammo have gone up tremendously in the last year.

They have been going up for WELL over a year, even shockingly. In the last 3 years, 230gr .45 bullets went from $56 per thousand to over $80.

The price of copper basically quadrupled in the last 3 years, and lead more than doubled.

All the ammo manufacturers issue pirce increases on the new year. They are probably trying to accomodate for what they didn't cover in materials cost last year.

good news is that with china done building their giant dam, some copper mine strikes being averted/resolved, some offline mines coming back online, a new giant copepr field being found in autralia, more widespread standards for eliminating lead from PCB design, etc. Copper has been plummeting about the last 60 days or so. Lead has been getting more in check too.

hopefully they pass this on to the consumers sometime soon. for components, montanna gold already lowered some of their prices.

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/copper_historical.html for copper prices, last 60 day chart is nice for us, although economists will have a cow over it.

#6 ·
We get 9mm WWB for 12.88 at Wally World out here in Nor Cal. I was in Big 5 the other day and they were selling the same exact stuff for 29.99
Went in yesterday to buy my new mossberg 500 and they dropped down to 16.00. Still cant beat Wal-mart for now. I'm going to pick up some more tonite and hopefully they are still 12.88 :roll:

#10 ·
darklyte24 said:
it is 2007 now and min wage went up to a whole wopping 7.25$ an hour here in california.. heck you could almost buy a whole Mcd value meal with that!

Bay area raised it to 10.

Local wally world in Reno, NV bumped their prices today (lucky me) two bucks. 40 S&W bulk 100 round box now costs 19.98.

The tag said 17.98 and I wanted to call a manager over there because of it. The rejects working there said they were figuring out where everything (ammo) went now that they changed the tags. When I saw the ammo ring up at 19.98 when the tag said 17.98 they said "yeah, but we're still the cheapest in town because we order 5 boxes (I'm assuming they mean big brown boxes with 12+ boxes of ammo) at a time." This was when I wanted to call the manager just to get ammo for the 2 bucks less. I would have bought them out of it but I just wanted out of the store and 2 bucks wasn't important enough to me.

Sorry, Had to vent a little. Those guys were just the typical Walmart reject white trash that think they deserve more respect then anyone out here.

Maybe I need to look into buying from Cableas or another online source. Suggestions?

#12 ·
tstrenuous10 said:
[quote name='darklyte24']it is 2007 now and min wage went up to a whole wopping 7.25$ an hour here in california.. heck you could almost buy a whole Mcd value meal with that!

Bay area raised it to 10.

Local wally world in Reno, NV bumped their prices today (lucky me) two bucks. 40 S&W bulk 100 round box now costs 19.98.

The tag said 17.98 and I wanted to call a manager over there because of it. The rejects working there said they were figuring out where everything (ammo) went now that they changed the tags. When I saw the ammo ring up at 19.98 when the tag said 17.98 they said "yeah, but we're still the cheapest in town because we order 5 boxes (I'm assuming they mean big brown boxes with 12+ boxes of ammo) at a time." This was when I wanted to call the manager just to get ammo for the 2 bucks less. I would have bought them out of it but I just wanted out of the store and 2 bucks wasn't important enough to me.

Sorry, Had to vent a little. Those guys were just the typical Walmart reject white trash that think they deserve more respect then anyone out here.

Maybe I need to look into buying from Cableas or another online source. Suggestions?[/quote]

Im originally from the bay area, are you talking about SF? specifically?

PS yes, try wholesale hunter.com look up the thread in great deals.. we posted in there. online is almost always the way to go

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.