MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen the results of some of the forum members who soaked there MP barrels in white vinegar and got awesome results. I have a question though. will this affect the corrosion resistance of the barrel? Will the White vinegar trick take the finish off the guide rod as well so that it can match the barrel?

Also will this White vinegar trick work on other barrels like HK and sig barrels?

First hand knowledge would be preferable.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I have done this trick with my Full Size .40 And let me tell you it is easy to do just search the forums for the post refer to that and you will be good. I did it about a month ago havent fired it yet but have cleaned it Twice since then and I love it The forum member who helped me out said he used it on other barrells and found out that the m&p was more difficult than the others. I am very weary about guinea pigging my own firearms but hey that ledge will always be there :wink:

·
Registered
312 Posts
No kidding
I soaked my barrel for two hours and didn't find a bit of difference. I thought maybe I'd gotten weak vinegar since it was only 5%. Next weekend I'll sit at the computer and watch it for about half a day or so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive read on other forums that the acid in the vinegar is bad for the barrel and that even after you remove the vinegar it can still eat away at the metal and cause damage.

Any responses?

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Fallschirmjäger said:
No kidding
I soaked my barrel for two hours and didn't find a bit of difference. I thought maybe I'd gotten weak vinegar since it was only 5%. Next weekend I'll sit at the computer and watch it for about half a day or so.
I think the others said they had to soak it and then rub the black off.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Serpico1985 said:
Ive read on other forums that the acid in the vinegar is bad for the barrel and that even after you remove the vinegar it can still eat away at the metal and cause damage.

Any responses?

any?

·
Registered
673 Posts
I would think that the acidity of the vinegar is quite mild and the barrel being of SS should take it well and have no adverse effects from the vinegar at all. The main consideration is that the rifling isn’t effected or “eaten” down… Strong acids like Sulphuric can have an effect on SS but not common vinegar.

Just wash the parts well in water and even a mild solution of Bicarbonate of Soda (Baking Soda) mixed in the water to neutralize any “acids”…

·
Registered
231 Posts
The acidity of the vinegar is only 5%...This will not harm SS. I work with 40% acid everyday in a whey processing facility and that concentration does not harm SS. Now that is just SS, not coated or treated in any way. We use it to clean the internals of our machinery, which is all SS. I am currently doing this process to my barrel as I type.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I used 3 different kinds of 5% vineger, and none of it worked for me.

I even left my barrel in the vinegar for 2 hrs, on 3 different occasions. Nothing.

This stuff is just not coming off.

Does anyone know if I might have to try an even stronger vinegar? And if so, what kind?

And where to get it? I checked all the vinegar in my local grocery store, and all they had was 5%.

If its not the vinegar, then what the heck else would be the reason for this not working for me?

Maybe I got some super finish freaked out gun or something? lol.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I left mine in for two movies on the DVD, wasn't long enough. I also rubbed it long enough that it should have paid ME $50.

I'm going to try again, and just leave it Sit in the vinegar. It takes +/- two days to do the old 'egg in venegar" trick, so it might take a tad longer for stainless steel. I'll put an eye on it every 6-8 hours though.

I might also try a pharmacy or somewhere that sells acetic acid, the substance that gives vinegar it's distinctive smell.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Fallschirmjäger said:
I left mine in for two movies on the DVD, wasn't long enough. I also rubbed it long enough that it should have paid ME $50.

I'm going to try again, and just leave it Sit in the vinegar. It takes +/- two days to do the old 'egg in venegar" trick, so it might take a tad longer for stainless steel. I'll put an eye on it every 6-8 hours though.

I might also try a pharmacy or somewhere that sells acetic acid, the substance that gives vinegar it's distinctive smell.

I just want to know why it takes most every one else 20-30 mins to get their finish off, and so far for me... who knows how long.

My barrel has been in the vinegar now since 11pm, and its 2:45 AM now... and the finish STILL won't come off. What gives?

·
Registered
231 Posts
same here

I soaked mine for 3 1/2 hrs last night and......nada. I got some black off but just a light haze, nothing worth while. maybe I need to use some sandpaper???

Would someone who's accomplished this please post your procedure?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Can we buy replacement barrels from S&W or is there an aftermarket replacement out there? Either stock length or longer to be tapped for a supressor.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Re: same here

MPshooter said:
I soaked mine for 3 1/2 hrs last night and......nada. I got some black off but just a light haze, nothing worth while. maybe I need to use some sandpaper???

Would someone who's accomplished this please post your procedure?

Same here man. I left mine soaking over night... so probably 10 hrs or so... nuthin.

That finish is absolutely not coming off. Not with vinegar, at least.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts