MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because I sure do.



If they would make the current MP40 and MP40c with the same active safety on the MP45 I would be delighted. I got to fool with an MP45 yesterday and honestly, its the best implementation of an active safety I've used. The way the ergonomics all come together on that pistol, it was great (the fit and finish on the extractor though, was another matter...).



I am hoping that S&W won't wait long before putting out both models with the option of an active safety, and have an entire line up similar to the USP series.



For now I'll just keep my M&P40, but soon as the active safety series hit the shelves I'll get myself another full size and a compact!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
The M&P 45 Safety just blocks the trigger bar. It does NOT block the hammer and sear like the 1911 design. It also does not hold the slide closed to avoid knocking out of battery.



In my opinion, all the M&P45 safety does is keep idiots from pulling the trigger.



Keeping your freaking finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot will do the same thing.



The only reason it is on there is that the specs for the military contract wanted it.



Even the great John Moses Browning never saw a need for a thumb safety and such a device didn't exist on his designs until the military demanded he add one.



The greatest safety is between your ears. Use it regularly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
573 Posts
That's one reason I bought two M&P's....no external safeties to fool with. If you want to shoot it, pull the trigger...if you don't, keep your finger off the trigger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,522 Posts
the only reason I'd want one is to give me a place to rest my thumb without hitting the slide stop accidentally. (and of course the little extra recoil management you can get riding a thumb safety)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
raz-0 said:
the only reason I'd want one is to give me a place to rest my thumb without hitting the slide stop accidentally. (and of course the little extra recoil management you can get riding a thumb safety)


Ding Ding, same reason here. That and, its one more thing that could potentially stop the extremely unlikely situation of someone from shooting themselves or you with your own gun.



Its so fluid and natural, as I draw with a high grip the safety just about takes itself off. Plus, the manual of arms would then be common with my issued rifle for the Army.



I just want the option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
512 Posts
One of the things that I liked about the m&p was the fact that there is no external safety. That being said, my next gun I would like it to have an external safety (1911)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
I think it should be optional across the line, just like on the .45 version. I just ordered a .45 without it, but after shooting one with the safety last week, I can see how it might be nice to have. Since the M&P has a fairly light trigger pull and no external hammer, it is possible that getting something jammed in the trigger guard while reholstering could cause an AD. It has happened with Glocks, if it hasn't yet happened with an M&P it is just a matter of time. The safety would prevent an AD in that case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
External safeties are not allowed where I work but I can understand why some would want one. How about a retrofit thumb safety that works off of the internal lock for those that came equipped?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
ClosetCaseNerd said:
Because I sure do.



If they would make the current MP40 and MP40c with the same active safety on the MP45 I would be delighted. I got to fool with an MP45 yesterday and honestly, its the best implementation of an active safety I've used. The way the ergonomics all come together on that pistol, it was great (the fit and finish on the extractor though, was another matter...).



I am hoping that S&W won't wait long before putting out both models with the option of an active safety, and have an entire line up similar to the USP series.



For now I'll just keep my M&P40, but soon as the active safety series hit the shelves I'll get myself another full size and a compact!


I agree. Only I'm wishing for this option on the M&P 9 as well. I love having a thumb rest like on the 1911... added safety a bonus. Gives us 1911 users cross platform feel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
I wouldn't mind a M&P40 or 9 with a safety. I know it is common sence to keep you finger off the trigger but it is still nice to have one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
DukieDog said:
The M&P 45 Safety just blocks the trigger bar. It does NOT block the hammer and sear like the 1911 design. It also does not hold the slide closed to avoid knocking out of battery.



In my opinion, all the M&P45 safety does is keep idiots from pulling the trigger.



Keeping your freaking finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot will do the same thing.



The only reason it is on there is that the specs for the military contract wanted it.



Even the great John Moses Browning never saw a need for a thumb safety and such a device didn't exist on his designs until the military demanded he add one.



The greatest safety is between your ears. Use it regularly.




Point very well said.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,062 Posts
ClosetCaseNerd said:
its one more thing that could potentially stop the extremely unlikely situation of someone from shooting themselves
It is my opinion that a manual safety may actually contribute to someone shooting themselves as they ignore the rules of safe gun handling. How many times have you seen someone press the trigger on purpose BECAUSE the safety was engaged? Just as people have ADs with guns they "know" are unloaded, one could just as easily have an AD because they "know" the safety is engaged. IMO, a pistol without a manual safety helps the halfway intelligent gun owner to treat the weapon as if it is loaded at all times because he only has to remember one thing - keep your finger off the trigger.



I think it is great that S&W has made the IL and MS optional, and I think the manual safety would be a good option as well. I like the fact that my M&P does not have a manual safety, mostly because I never use the manual safety on my pistols that feature them. I also want my wife to know that when she picks up a gun it is good to go, as is.



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
I would like to see the safety as an option. And would consider upgrading if the option became available for the 40.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I bought my M&P 40 because it didn't have any safeties at all (no manual safety, no mag safety, no lock). I like the KISS thought process.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,507 Posts
Just to set the record straight:

DukieDog said:
The M&P 45 Safety just blocks the trigger bar. It does NOT block the hammer and sear like the 1911 design.


Since the M&P doesn't have a hammer or sear this would be kind of hard to do, but since the trigger bar's movement lifts the striker block, blocking the trigger bar's movement blocks the striker. The gun cannot go bang without the trigger bar lifting the striker block.



By the way a 1911 safety doesn't block the hammer's movement only the sear. If the sear nose was to break guess what you get....Bang.



I am not supporting or dismissing this feature just trying to inform :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
I bought it without a manual safety, and that's the way I want to keep it.



--

Mike
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top