MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got thinking about why I bought my M&P and could come up with no real reason. I guess it just called to me from accross the interwebs. Has anyone else had this experience? Probably not... Im just that one weird guy who talks to guns..... just sayin....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just got thinking about why I bought my M&P and could come up with no real reason. I guess it just called to me from accross the interwebs. Has anyone else had this experience? Probably not... Im just that one weird guy who talks to guns..... just sayin....

My reason(s) for getting an M & P were pure and simple: Home/personal protection & recreation. Being that I had the S & W 915 in the past and had great experiences with Smith & Wesson pistols, my M & P felt comfortable in hand and I have lots of reasons for accessorizing which were a big plus for me too...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Bought my Full Size M&P9 about two years ago. Did research on the internet and gun magazine about the ergonomics and reliability and came to the conclusion this was probably the handgun for me. I became interested in conceal carry and I wanted a reliable weapon that was easy to shoot well and the M&P fit the bill. Finally, I was in one of my local gunshops and the salesperson actually acted as if he wanted to sell me the gun and actually threw in two boxes of premium JHP ammunition minus $10 off of the retail price. The salesperson actually took the time out and showed me how to field strip the weapon plus I liked his attitude and not the holier than thou that some of the gunshop clowns display. Some of those silly salesperson attitudes has caused me to spend my money some place else and I don't even give them the time of day. I also bought my second M&P in 40/357Sig about One Year and a Half ago and is my current Everyday Carry weapon.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My 9 and 9c (neither of which have been fired yet because they are Christmas gifts) were purchased after figuring out what caliber I wanted, doing a lot of internet research, talking to a few gun shops and my retired cop brother-in-law. Since my left-handed daughter is using one of the guns, I wanted something that had some ambidextrous capabilities and I felt that M&P's fit that bill better than most guns. Also, the Gunsite Academy (which my daughter and I are taking their 250 Pistol course this upcoming summer) seems to speak highly of them. Plus, even though my daughter has pretty big hands, the interchangable grips were extremely important and I've been a fan of S&W.

I actually purchased mine in November at a Phoenix gun show.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I wanted a carry gun, preferably in .40S&W. I held the Glock 27 and the 23, the XD40 compacts, and the M&P40C. Each felt like crap to me at first, then the guy behind the counter told me about the M&P interchangeable backstraps. He put on the medium one first and then the large. I was amazed at the difference it made. When I held it up to align the sights it literally just 'fell in place' and it pointed perfectly. I didn't feel like I was holding another slide on top of the slide like the XD and it didn't feel like I was holding a brick like the Glocks. The M&P also happened to look the best. I bought it without even firing it and it ended up being a perfect choice for me.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Why did I buy an M&P? I know theres only time that I tried out the M&P then I told myself "I want an M&P".... I was working close to Grand Rapids, MI. one year Port Sheldon to be exact when 2 of my friends that was up there with me for work decided to an indoor range and shoot some pistols that they had.

I have been shooting a Kimber Tactical Custom II since 2003 before that I had a Glock 17. I know what your thinking that is a big change right. But I didn't have any issues with that, that Kimber just felt really good in my hands. So when we got to the indoor range right away the guy helping us was carrying an M&P 9FS with a crimson trace on it. He let us check out all the M&P's they had and of course I what to see the .45acp with the thumb safety. I guess I had been so use to that 1911 thumb safety that I wanted to see how it would feel. We ended up renting that .45acp with the thumb safety and a 9mm FS we took turns in shooting both pistol my friends are die hard Glock shooters and we were all very impressed with the M&P.

I still have that 1911 for my carry pistol but on the next job I went to I got an M&P 9mm FS. It just felt right in my hands very accurate so thats what made me decide to buy an M&P. I don't have the 9mm FS anymore because wanted to go with the 9L. Why did I go with the 9L you asked I wanted to get some trigger work on it that would be not as heavy as the Pro. I shoot that 9L as my Production and Enhanced gun now I just got a .40 Pro 5" to shoot Limited. I haven't got to shoot my .40 in USPSA but I am really excited to see how it performs.

I know thats a long story but I really wanted to share that with your guys. I know some will appreciate in how I decided to buy an M&P. Keep shooting....

Allan

·
Registered
523 Posts
Almost "who knows"....

I've been carrying for about 42 years.... My first "real" handgun (some cheap junk not counting) was a Charter Arms "Undercover" .38, circa 1967. I probably should have spent the extra ten or twenty bucks for a Chief's Special, but my budget was kinda slim at the time.

I was able to handle a couple of S&W K-frames back then, and when I needed a "uniform" gun (I'm a semi-retired rent-a-cop, among other things), I decided an S&W M19 was a good choice. (.357 magnum.) I couldn't find a 4" - the Military was buying everything, but a friend found me a 6". I'm big enough that it didn't look too silly.

Later, when a concealment gun became a good idea (the Charter stayed on as a BUG, but I couldn't hit anything with it; still can't!), I picked up an M10HB, which is the same K-frame in 4", with a heavy barrel - pretty much the same barrel that the M19 uses. Wearing a 4" K-frame for concealment sounds nuts, but in those days printing didn't really bother anybody, and there were no restrictions on where I could carry other than the jail or a courtroom, and then only if somebody was checking.

I was exposed to Colt guns at the time (as well as Taurus and Rossi) and felt that spending the extra few bucks on the S&W's beat the clones, and that the Colts just weren't what I wanted....

Although I kept carrying, I stopped shooting, more or less, until 2004. Having to get a CHL put me back on the range (with that M10HB) and a realization of how much fun I was missing.

Ended up joining the local Rod & Gun Club (nice ranges) and buying a lot.... I'd picked up a PPK/S and an M39 way back when, and inherited a Combat Commander. The latter got me into 1911's big time.

About a year ago, S&W was doing a magazine rebate, and I wanted a .40 just to play with - a range gun. The M&P40 Full Size fit the bill - not a "target" gun, but a good shooter, reliable, etc. I can see clearly why it's a "service" gun, like my old M10, too. I occasionally carry a full sized 1911, and could get away with the big M&P, too.... (I have carried it a few times.)

Then, much more recently (and with yet another magazine rebate), I swapped off a PPS40 (the PPS9 is a super gun, but for me, the .40 is awful....) for an M&P40C. The idea was for something that I could wear around the house without pulling my jeans down.

I bought an XD9SC for my daughter a few years ago. She just didn't want it. Nothing really wrong with the gun, other than it being kind of bulky for a 9mm, but the super-short barrel made for a lot of smoke and flame. I swapped it for an M&P9C a few weeks ago. It's hers if she wants it. Meantime, I'm "working it in". (She's talking about moving to New York.... Ooops....) No rebate this time, but I wanted out of that Springfield. So far, it's excellent, but does appear to need to be shot in a bit. (The other two M&P's were 100% immediately.)

All three M&P's have DCAEK kits in 'em, and RAM's in the .40's. The RAM, IMHO, is a YMMV thing. The DCAEK kit gives me a feel that's very much like my old S&W wheelguns, which were about as good as you could get as "production" back before quality went away. They also feel like my two Para LDA's, which have a similar feel.

More "damn, that ought to be fun" than research for the first one. The other two M&P's just sort of fit....

I hate to admit it, too, but the M&P's are also "airline travel" guns. Unlike my 1911's, they're inexpensive, and I don't have any real emotional ties to them. IOW, should the airline lose one, hopefully during the final leg of a return home, the insurance check would probably make me feel good enough.... If you actually use a gun, it's likely to vanish anyway, but locally, at least, I have a shot at getting it back. If I'm visiting somebody 1,000 miles away, that gets a lot less likely....

'Course, I'm old enough now that a drive of more than a couple hundred miles is something I'd prefer to avoid, and the "Security Theater" we now go through to fly is going to (along with budget issues) keep me home a lot more.... But that's another story.... I have a sister in TX, and a brother-in-law in FL....

Regards,

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
After shooting MANY different handguns over the years and only really liking a few... I picked up a FS9 M&P, it felt natural in both hands, sights went right to what I was pointing at and it placed 5 holes almost dead center in a target at 15 yards right out of the case. SOLD !!! That was four FS M&P's ago. I CCW and trust all of them.

AND it's my constitutional right to keep and bare arms.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I bought my M&P 45c because I was dissatisfied with several aspects of the Glock 30 I owned. The Glock was too bulky for my taste, I disliked the finger grooves on the frontstrap, the feel of the trigger as well as several other things, all of which are greatly improved on in the M&P 45c.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I was searching for a good double stack 45. I had owned an older gen 2 Glock 21 and was having problems with the grip size and my smaller hands. My trigger finger was being numbed when I shot it without gloves at the range due to the serrations on the trigger and the split trigger design. Glock was just coming out with the 21SF and the XD's were all around, but in came the M&P. I picked it up, liked the feel, and took it home. At the range, it performed better. It was 4 less in mag capacity than the Glock, but I figured I could live with that. When the 45c was introduced, I ordered one at the shop and had the first one in town. I like the way it shoots also, somedays I can shoot it better than the fullsize. I have owned alot of Smith and Wesson products and have never had any problems with any of them other than the Smith/Walther P22, which was a piece of junk unless you fed it mini mags.

·
Registered
24 Posts
After getting a concealed handgun license in 2004, I have owned just about every pistol imaginable. Started with a FS XD9 before I knew there were subcompacts. I've had an XD9c,an XD40c, Glock 26(twice), Ruger Sp101, Smith 637 airweight(twice-one with ct laser)Sig P238. Sig P232, Sig P239, Kel-tec PF-9(twice), Kimber Ultra Carry 9MM, Smith-The cheap sv something, Taurus 85, Bersa 380. You get the idea.

I love trading guns but after doing trigger work on my 9c I can't see myself letting it go. I have small hands and it fits better than and shoots more accurately (for me) than the other. The exception being the Kimber which I couldn't get mags that would feed reliably. Traded that for a CZ75 PO-1.

I still have one PF-9 and XD9c but if I want 100% confidence going into a fight, I want my M&P on my hip.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought mine because i wanted a 9mm that both my wife and i would enjoy and be comfortable shooting. I will also be using it as a carry gun to take the place of my Officers 1911 in .45. I felt that under most circumstances the 45 was more than i needed and i am much more accurate with the M&P 9. Not to mention i have 17 rnds vs 7.

I looked around for a good while and the M&P 9 seemed like the best pistol when compared to the beretta 92 (i already had it), Browning hi power (Already have it but thought overall the M&P was better) and a glock 19 ( i hate the feel of those and my wife didnt like it either) and a CZ75B ( I love how this pistol feels but overall the M&P seemed like the better option since im considering shortening the grip some.) I also looked hard at the M&P compact but felt while it was good for a CCW i wouldnt want to shoot it as much as i would the FS. So im still getting some trigger time on it while considering Mr. Burwell's chopper mod. Now the slide is at Bowie Tactical getting some new sights.

Overall im very happy with the decision and cant believe how much better i can shoot it than my .45. I know its me and not the gun on the .45 but its hard to back up once i shoot this so much better.

·
Registered
168 Posts
i'd been looking for a compact carry pistol in 9mm for some time, and tried a variety of different models at my local range, which offers many models as rentals. the m&p9c was clearly the most comfortable, most accurate, and i'm a fan of s&w handguns. i would have considered a 3913 as well, but i could not find one at a reasonable price. and there was a 9c calling my name at the range.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Guys,

New member here. Pretty new to guns too but not new to forums. After buying a Remington 870 shotgun in early fall I decided I also wanted a semi-auto 9mm for the nightstand. As you know there are A LOT of choices out there. I narrowed it down to Sig, Glock and the S&W. I rented a FS 9 at the local gun range and really fell in love with it. It felt great in my hand. Lately, I've been on this quest to buy American whenever possible at least when the quality is close or equal and in this case I believe it is. S&W is an iconic American company but hey, I'm on the M&P forum so everyone here already knows that.

My gun is still on order and I'm hoping to take delivery by X-mas. I went with the FS9, no mag disc, no "Hilary lock" and no thumb safety. The local gun shop owner told me the ones without the thumb safety seem to be in high demand right now and all of his distributors were out and awaiting shipment from S&W. I'm hoping this means that I'll be getting one of those post Sept 2010 guns with the upgraded sear.

·
Registered
29 Posts
In addition to all the other good reasons given here like ergomomics, reliability, etc. another good reason for me was that it was made in the USA.

I looked at many other good handguns like SIG, CZ, Glock, XDM, but all were from Europe. FNH and Ruger were other brands I checked out but didn't like the feel and look as much as the M&P. After about 500 rounds though my 9 Pro, I am very happy with my decision.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought my M&P 45c because I was dissatisfied with several aspects of the Glock 30 I owned. The Glock was too bulky for my taste, I disliked the finger grooves on the frontstrap, the feel of the trigger as well as several other things, all of which are greatly improved on in the M&P 45c.

That's exactly why I liked the 45c the first time I held it too. A friend of mine has a Glock 30SF that I shoot frequently and it feels very bulky. The dimensions may be similar but the 45c just does it better all around IMO.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I didn't buy mine, I traded a Glock 19 with 2500 rounds through it and three G17 magazines straight up for a brand new MnP 9FS (no thumb safety, no mag safety) and three mags. As to why I wanted it, it was primarily the extended tang that most interested me. I have giant, meaty hands, and it's really easy for me to get too high a grip on a small gun like a Glock 19. I wanted a gun I'd be less likely to get cut by, so I scored an MnP.

1 - 20 of 217 Posts