MP-Pistol Forum banner

161 - 180 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
I got my m&p because i am ergonomically challenged. I got gorrilla palms and short fingers. This has made reaching controls a challenge for me even if the pistol feels good in my hands. Main reason was the ease i could hit the mag release.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I wanted a quality gun in 40S&W with a particular mix of options: no thumb safety, mag safety, 16 round capacity, medium size and weight. My choice was just right - for me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I kept reading good reviews of the M&P45 on forums like this and he 10-8 Forum, wanted a polymer 45ACP that felt better than a Glock, and Apex Trigger Parts would reportedly improve the trigger. I still don't have the Apex Trigger Parts installed as the stock trigger is good enough so far.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I tried just about every rental at my gun range and the M&P felt the best in my hand and was a natural pointer. Which resulted in my best grouping with a rental gun. I've only fired around 100 rounds so far on my new pistol and I have a ways to go before I'm as confident as I am with my Colt 1911, but I'm determined to get there. Being used to a 7 round mag and moving to a 15 round mag in a .40 with less weight is really fantastic. And this being a really friendly forum with people wanting to help you with the M&P, provides support that I needed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wanted a striker fired 9mm compact, but Glocks never agreed with me. After a lot of reading and a small bit of extra money, I went with a 9c. Took it to the range once, adjusted the sights, then shot the heck out of it in a 4 day class...that compact did as well as anything full-sized on the range. It impressed me enough to look into a .45c...I had an XD .45 Service that was decent enough, just too darn big...when I measured the cost of having the grip chopped vs. trading it in on an M&P 45c, the trade was the far better choice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My first pistol was a Colt Cobra and man did it bite hard with those walnut grips, and six shots of standard .38 SPL wasn't appealing. So, I started looking around. I've always wanted a glock, but never wanted a glock, if that makes any sense. I guess they look great until you hold them and strip them, and I wasn't about to buy an good gun, I was about to buy a great gun. So looked at the competition M&P & XD. I went to the PX on base where I could pick one up and hold it, just to get a feel and I was in love I knew I didn't want a 9, not for home defense, and when the .40 can hold 15+1 what's not to love? So after deciding on the M&P .40 I started doing some reading and found out about the Pro Series, with the stock night sights, trigger job, no internal lock, and fires without a magazine, I said that's mine! The PX wanted $718, yikes! So I shopped around and OMB Express gave it to me for $509 shipped FEDEX with a $20 FFL, you can't beat that. Now, let me say, that's the OMB Express Military Discount, but they offer if for almost anyone who has a noble job, ie., EMT, MIL, RES, and hell boy scouts might even get it. It's my one and only home defense and recreational shooter. If I had to settle on one gun and I did, it'd be the S&W M&P .40 S&W Pro Series!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have been a glock guy for some time. I love the idea of a reliable, American made gun, though. After seeing Steve Fisher of MagPul dynamics fame run his M&P and trying out his setup, I was convinced. I've got an apex trigger in mine and like the light feel. The reset sucks, so I'm working on that next.

Jake

·
Registered
51 Posts
I got mine for Personal Defense, it goes everywhere I go. I had an airsoft version of it for the longest time and I figured what the hell and bought the real thing. I love it!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Might as well make this my first post.

I was very happy with a FNP 45 tactical I bought around May except a few things. 1 tough gun to find a holster I LIKE for. 2 the trigger is only good if used in single action and even then it's a bit meh and there's not much of ANYTHING u can do about it. 3 the gun just didn't feel just right in my hand...not bad....but not right. 4 Ive grown tired of wanting to shoot but worrying about my pockets hurting from the cost of 45 ammo. That being said, I shot better groups with that gun than ANY other I have owned. The hi rise sights just work for me.

Fast forward to this last week. I was on vacation at myrtle beach. Walked into Bass Pro and for the first time got my hands on a M&P 9(they r very tough to find at home if at all). I was sold sold sold from that moment on. I have never had a gun feel THAT good in my hand. I HAD TO HAVE an M&P from that moment on. Went back to the room and read as much as I could about the M&P line. Wasn't really happy with the shorter barrel and the trigger pull of the standard I held so the 5" pro sounded like what I wanted to get. Never thought I'd get a chance to hold one so it looked like a straight internet purchase sight unseen of an M&P pro 9. My OCPD was demanding I have that pistol but the tires that blew on the way to the beach and cost me 1100 bucks meant I didn't have the funds PERIOD. Soooooo.... I went from shop to shop all week instead of sightseeing and on the next to last day there in the case was a 5" 9mm pro. Picked it up, held it, pulled the trigger.........walked out, grabbed my $1200 FNP tactical and traded STRAIGHT UP for an insanely overpriced M&P Pro at $775. And I was happy to do it!

So, here I sit. Waiting for my pro to get to my FFL so I can start my S&W adventure. To be quite honest I think S&W has a lifetime customer with me on this series. I already have plans for an M&P 22, a compact 40 as well as adding another FS 45(price aside I've always been a 45 guy). Can't believe it's taken me this long to jump on board, but I'm blaming it on the Sigma and the fact that neither glock or springfield XD/XDM come CLOSE to feeling good in my hands. Let alone the warm fuzzy I get from the M&P line.

I've got the bug and I got it bad.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Easy, I wanted a light weight medium to full sized high capacity .9mm for EDC, SHTF, and use at my PT job. The Glock 19 fit the bill best, but the M&P 9 was way more comfy to grip than the G19 I sold long ago. As being as close in size to a 1911 Commander (my favorite CCW) as it is, it was a no brainer for me to go with the M&P. Then I shot it...wow was it accurate!
Now I'm trying to find a good excuse to buy the .45!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I purchased mine as a duty weapon.....I hate the feel of GLOCK & with their reliability issues & lack of customer support I dropped my G17 Gen 4 & sold it. I like my SIG's but the M&P seems to be a better fit at a more reasonable price. So far I haven't had an ounce of regret.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bought mine as a duty weapon and for concealed carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
My first M&P was the M&P40, which I bought because I wanted a full-sized .40S&W. (I already had a Beretta 9000S). Read a lot of reviews, fired some (including the XD40), and kept coming back to the M&P40, which I finally bought in March of 2009. Have been VERY happy with it, and bought an M&P9 last year. Have LOVED both pistols.

I find them very "SIG like" if that makes sense, I have a SIG P226 I've been really happy with also, and the feel is similar to me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was at the range in 2009 on a pistol renting spree. Had never herd of M&P's and the only semi pistol I had at the time was my first semi auto pistol Glock 22. I shot 1911's, XDM 9, Para, Sig etc. I liked them all,particularly the XDM & M&P in 9mm. My Problem with the Glock is the grip feels so awkward.That aside it is an outstanding pistol. M&P 40 fs & xdm 40 made my team in 2010. I'm happy with both. I have since added a few M&P's to my collection and I just LOVE them.
Made in the USA,great customer service, reasonable price and I love that S&W responds to issues with the M&P platform promptly.Cudos to S&W, they got this one right.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A friend has gotten me interested in USPSA (production division) and although my 2 SIG 226's work well for me a number of people suggested I try out the M&P. I happened to be at a local show 2 weeks ago and found a M&P9 Pro in two tone that called my name. Went straight from the show to the range and fell in love with the gun! My Sig's may be collecting dust if it shoots in competition as well as it shoots on the range.

BTW, I've owned a lot of other polymer guns like Glock and XD but none of them stayed in my safe very long. The M&P may be a keeper.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I bought my first primarily because I hated Glocks and always wanted a reliable polymer pistol to play IDPA SSP Division and the M&P arrived. I got mine with 2 mags for $550Cdn plus another 2 mags plus $50. from S&W. How could you pass on that deal. (We pay more for guns up here). Since then I have put well over 4K rounds through the gun with not one failure of any kind. since then I just bought an M&P PRO and hope soon to have a .40cal top end for the FS. I am looking forward to next years competitions and the performance of the PRO (Apex parts installed = 3# trigger pull!).

Great gun from a very good company.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was a tried and true Glock guy. And to prove the theory that humans can get used to anything, the 2x4-like grip of the Glock became natural to me and anything else "just didn't feel right." Then I walked into a shop a few years back and there was a M&P40 FS. I asked the guy "let me take a look at that." I felt the grip in my hand (the med. was on it- perfect for my handsize) and that was all she wrote. I began writing the for sale ads for my Glocks in my head that second hehe! Not that quickly of course but just about. I bought it, detail stripped it, took it to the range and liked everything I saw. That certainly sealed the deal. Haven't had anything happen in the years since that has changed that initial impression. Long term reliability with multiple ammo types, easy to clean, durable. And as someone posted above, the made in the USA by the new, non-UK owned, non-Clinton collaborator S&W was a plus too.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I bought mine because i became increasingly disatisfied with Sig Sauer. It started when they began manufacutring everything in Exeter, NH. Its not a swing at amaerican manufacturing but the german stuff was simply built to a higher standard in both production and materials used. I couldnt justify paying the same price for something that was inherently of lower quality. SO since i didnt want to wait between 9-12 months for a German made sig I switched to the M&P platform.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was at the range in 2009 on a pistol renting spree. Had never heard of M&P's and the only semi pistol I had at the time was my first semi auto pistol Glock 22. I shot 1911's, XDM 9, Para, Sig etc. I liked them all,particularly the XDM & M&P in 9mm. My Problem with the Glock is the grip feels so awkward.That aside it is an outstanding pistol. M&P 40 fs & xdm 40 made my team in 2010. I'm happy with both. I have since added a few M&P's to my collection and I just LOVE them.
Made in the USA,great customer service, reasonable price and I love that S&W responds to issues with the M&P platform promptly.Cudos to S&W, they got this one right.

161 - 180 of 217 Posts