MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why did you purchase the MP .45 over the XD .45 ?

What other .45 were in the running?

What would fair better in a IDPA match?

G21?

MP45

XD45 5 inch barrel?

The MP is the only gun that doesnt make a high cap mag? Is one coming out soon?

thanks

Sidewaysammy.......

·
Registered
88 Posts
I chose the M&P because the smaller grip fit my hand better. It mainly just came down to "feel in hand." I just left Cheaper than Dirt trying the fit of various models including Glock, XD, and the M&P in 357sig (which I liked the feel of 8) The only reason I considered the Glock was due to the interchangabiliity of the 40 and 357sig barrel that S&W is to greedy to offer. That would be my only reason for considering the Glock 22.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had the M&P40 frist. I did look at SA's in 40 & 45. I didn't care for the trigger or the feel of the grip. The grip was ok but the trigger I didn't like at all.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I already have an M&P 9 and I haven't found anything that beats the ergos of the M&P. XD's feel better than Glocks IMO, but they just can't beat the M&P.

·
Registered
67 Posts
sidewaysammy said:
The MP is the only gun that doesnt make a high cap mag? Is one coming out soon?

thanks

Sidewaysammy.......

The 10 round mag that ships with the M&P 45 is not a reduced capacity mag (like the 10 round versions for the .40 and 9mm). That is just the magazine size around which the pistol was designed. The capacity was probably chosen to keep the grip circumference lower (ergonomics were clearly an important consideration for S&W when designing the M&P series), and to just keep the overall size of the pistol more manageable. Here's an experiment for you: try holding a Glock 21 in your hand, followed immediately by an M&P .45; I'm sure you'll understand then (unless you have gorilla hands).

HK has faced some similar complaints regarding the grip of their USP45 pistols, especially from shooters with smaller hands, which may partly explain why the magazine capacity of the new HK45 is also 10 rounds vs. 12 for its predecessors. Glock came up with a unique solution of their own in the .45 GAP cartridge.

So, don't fret that your M&P .45 has been emasculated with a 10 round mag. That's just happens to be the capacity that fits in the grip. And if you can do your part, 10 rounds of .45 ACP is still a lot of firepower.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I understand why so many people like the XD but it has never really set me on fire. too high a bore axis, too many gizmos' I don't want or need like grip safety, not a very good trigger. The M&P is very ergonomic, I like the shape of the trigger better, prefer the Novak sights, and the lower recoil. Plus the M&P just looks cooler and feels better balanced to me. I don't much care about the extra 3 rounds in .45 although I understand Smith is coming out with a higher capacity for the M&P .45 that will extend further below the grip.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Ergonomics and parts availability. Springfield will only release a very, very limited amount of replacement parts. The XD9 was my first handgun and still a favorite.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have an XD40 and really like it. Feels good and I shoot it quite well.

I have a very short trigger finger and the XD40 is right at my max trigger reach. It was the best feeling of the DA guns I had held until I finally got an opportunity to shoot the M&P's when S&W did a full product line demo at my gun club.

The guy let me put on the small grip on an M&P40 and I was in love with the feel.
I was in the market for another .45 so I tried that also with the small grip.

Oh Yeah!!! what a remarkable design. The M&P45 is the best feeling .45 I have ever shot. BTW the recoil feels less that any other .45 I have shot. So I bought it on the spot. It is now my favorite gun.

I now have a M&P9 also and will be getting another .45 or my dream gun the M&P 10mm if the powers to be at S&W ever listen to me.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Why did I pick the M&P 45 over the XD 45?

REason 1, Warranty, S&W has killer CS

Reason 2, feel

Reason 3, price (my local gun store just ran a sell got mine for 463.00 plus tax

reason 4 rebater for free mags,

and reason 5 new rebate offers mags and $50.00

·
Registered
112 Posts
and reason 5 new rebate offers mags and $50.00

I've only seen the mag rebate, where is the $50 one?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just looked on the S&W site and the 2 mags only has been replaced by $50.00 rebate and 2 mags from 1 November to 31 January.

Sweet. That was just enough to make me pull the trigger on a new acquisition. My second M&P45. :wink:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a M&P 45, XD Tactical 9, XD Tactical 40, Glock 22 40,9,357 and a new Ruger SR9. I like the Glock the least, the new Ruger and XD's the best, with the M&P 45 next.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I shot my buddies xd .40 subcompact and after dealing with that extra safety in back I am happy with my M&P :wink:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I went with the M&P45 for several reasons:

1)The grip is much more comfortable than the Glock 21 (standard or SF) or the XD. The XD grip has never done anything for me at all in any of the models. The Glock 21SF feels like a bar of soap instead of a brick, but the grip angle and size just don't work for me (and I don't have small hands).

2)S&W has the best warranty, customer service, and is an American Company.

3)10+1 is 2-3 rounds more than the huge majority of .45ACP pistols hold, and 10+1 is both plenty of capacity for defense (IMO) and for any division in IDPA, where one is limited to 8+1 in CDP and 10+1 in SSP and ESP.

4)Price, my M&P with Novak Night Sights was cheaper than either the G21 or XD with night sights, plus I got two free magazines from S&W, giving me a total of 4 without spending an additional dime (OK, $0.41 for a stamp).

I couldn't be happier with my M&P45. I was first overall last weekend at an IDPA night match using my totally stock M&P45. My only complaint right now about the M&P45 is the lack of duty holsters available for it. I'd love to carry it on duty, though for a duty weapon I'd probably purchase a second one with the magazine disconnect.

It has never malfunctioned, fits me perfectly, is very accurate, and a lot of fun to shoot. I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I like the XD quite a bit. My buddy has a 9mm that has been flawless and I shoot quite well with it. I was definitely considering the 5" tactical model along with the M&P.....until I held them both side by side this past weekend. The M&P felt MUCH better in my hand.....less blocky and more natural to point with. In addition to the better fit overall, I much preferred the lower bore axis, lack of grip safety, and lack of trigger insert. Add in the 2 free mags and $50 rebate, availability of individual parts, and warranty and it was a no brainer. The XD is a nice pistol for sure......but the M&P 45 is better for MY hand.

I just hope it is as reliable and accurate in the long haul as my buddy's XD has been.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I would love my MP45 if S&W would ever ship it back to me. To date, I've had it for a total of five weeks and S&W has had it longer than I have.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts