MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to ask the question, especially after getting the full size 40 and seeing all the unneeded safety features (my opinion)? I'm thinking of trading in my full size M&P 40 for something else. Now the S&W M&P 40c rocks! 8)

Take Care and God Bless!

Ronin

·
Registered
69 Posts
At the risk of feeding the troll, I'll get this one.

When Glocks first came out I checked them out at a local shop. First thing I noticed was, it was boxy and just plain ugly. Then I picked it up and discovered Glocks score a zero in the ergonomics department. Just didn't feel good in the hand. I put it down and decided plastic guns weren't for me. I didn't care how reliable or indestructible Glocks turned out to be. I did not like them and crossed all plastic guns off my list. Didn't even consider them until...

...I taded into a Walther P22. I was so impressed with the ergonomics, it felt great. That caused me to go out and get a Walther P99. Again the Walther ergonomics were fantastic. And the Walther is a great gun to boot. I did think my plastic gun phase would be over with Walthers however. One was enough, I thought.

Then I saw the sale last week Bud's was having on Smith MP 9mm's for $399. Figuring they wouldn't be at this price for long I picked one up. Also thought if I didn't like it, at that price I could trade it in and not lose much money.

Just got the MP 9 in yesterday. Going to be a couple weeks before I can shoot it. But so far the ergonomics are great, just as good as the Walther P99's. I am dying to try the trigger out for real. The QA trigger on the P99 I didn't like so I traded it out for a P99 with an AS trigger (DA/SA). The trigger on the MP 9 feels better than the QA so far.

Can't wait to get this thing on the range.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
ronin67 said:
Just wanted to ask the question, especially after getting the full size 40 and seeing all the unneeded safety features (my opinion)? I'm thinking of trading in my full size M&P 40 for something else. Now the S&W M&P 40c rocks! 8)

Take Care and God Bless!

Ronin

Well lets see, My M&P has no magzine disconnect, and if i want i can take it down without using the sear deactivation lever. Pretty much identical to a glock. Except i can CHOOSE to be safer if i wish.

Ergonomics are better, by a WIDE margin. grip angle, backstraps, slide release and mag catch are all better from an ergonomic standpoint for a large portion of the population.

Aesthetics. I like them better, so do a lot of people. you may not.

Sights... having the front and back dovetailed is a big plus for anyone thinking about changing out their sights.

trigger... Out of the box it may not be wonderful, but it is not a mushy trigger, which is one of the things a lot of people take issue with regarding striker fired guns.

As for a reason to not trade it, well you keep buying and trading guns, you just wind up pissing money away for the most part. You should be getting something out of it, and a glock is about as boring and commonplace as you can get. so unless you are looking for good basepads and other accesories to shoot limited, or want something else that a glock makes easier to aquire, I'm not sure what you'd get out of it.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
ronin67 said:

Take Care and God Bless!

Ronin

Ronin I'm not sure what you're asking...

I don't understand why your M&P40c is any different than your M&P40 as far as "safety features" go.

If your compact "rocks" then your full size should be the same only bigger.

The reason S&W offers the M&P with things like the Magazine Disconnect is because many Police Departments have asked for it. Personally I didn't want one so I got mine without it. Having options is a good thing

·
Registered
341 Posts
When I was looking at getting a pistol the first one I thought about was a glock. Looked at a bunch of different ones online, researched and decided on a caliber, thought about it more and was pretty sure I would end up buying glock.

Well when I went out to the stores to look I learned the true meaning of disappointment the very first time I held the glock. It didn't feel good at all in the hand and there was a spot on the grip, right side at the base of the index finger, that was actually annoying. Something to do with the was the grip in made but I could see that "pinching" feeling getting bad if I held it to long (like at the range) causing me to move my finger around too much. I pretty much thought just that one problem would distract me enough and kill any fun I could be having .... I'd prob shoot like crap as well cause of the distraction. I tried the 40, 9, full, & compact and they all felt the same way.

Plus the looks aren't all that great once you see them up close.

Didn't even know the M&P existed till that day but out of all the guns I held (which was a lot at several differant stores .... it was a entire day of shopping) the M&P was probably the only pistol that the first time I held it I could just tell it was right. I went with my sister and even she said that when I held it you could see the "joy & excitment" in my face
So the M&P 40 is what i ended up getting.

After that I learned even more about glock that I didn't like .... 1 thing in particular is the unsupported breach.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
The definition from Wiki:

A troll is a person who enters an established community such as an online discussion forum and intentionally tries to cause disruption, often in the form of posting messages that are inflammatory, insulting, incorrect, inaccurate, absurd, or off-topic, with the intent of provoking a reaction from others.

I'm not calling anyone a troll; I'm just answering Rtashiro's question.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Traded my G19 for the MP9.

The ture answer to the OP's question is the very same reason we buy a Ford vs. a Chevy or Sony vs. Samsung or Apple vs. Dell... ad naseum.

Because we like one better than the other. Its just that simple.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I moved from a G23, to an M&P 40 .... the backstrap and the feel was the first reason i picked it up.

I like it.. all my friends carry Glocks, it was nice to be different and be happy with my choice.

i will not loose my 23 , but I think as far as carry pices the SW just feels better!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I traded my Glock G27 for my M&P .40 Compact. Very happy so far!!

Ron

·
Registered
89 Posts
Why an M&P when you can have a Glock

Easy for me.....I shoot the M&P better than I did my G26.

Jim

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gentleman, thank you for all the great replys. I assure you I'm not a troll, I just always find it interesting to hear different opinions from other people. I like my M&P pistol, but the trigger just has a mushy feel when you pull it compared to my Glock ( just my opinion).

Take Care and God Bless!

Ronin

1 - 20 of 26 Posts