MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I ordered my first batch of ammo from these guys about a month ago, things went off without a hitch, the ammo was great, everything was splendid.

I thought things would go the same this time, I WAS WRONG!!

I ordered my replacement ammo about 2 weeks ago on Thursday 11/22 and expected about a two day arrival, maybe three at most as did the first order. Well, the package shipped the next day on Friday 11/23 and I was expecting an arrival around Tuesday or Wed. at the latest of LAST WEEK!!

Well here it is the following Thursday with no ammo yet. I talked to the UPS guy and he said he had not delievered anything to my apt. that he can remember, and asked if I had the tracking number, of course I dont, they dont include that in the "it shipped" email!! After the 5th time of trying to contact this POS I have had NO RESPONSE from either of the two emails or three phone call voice messages I have left stating my concern as to why the package never arrived.

After this post I will make it the 6th time trying to contact this thief as to where my package is and

I WILL NEVER ORDER FROM DOUBLE TAP AGAIN!! Following that I will start calling the bank and BBB to see if this guy is a member!! Holiday's be damned, if they are closed, or out of town they need to state that on their message (since they never answer the phone) and quit stating their hours as 10-6 Monday through Saturday!!

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I am not a fan, but Double Tap has a good rep so there must be a good explanation. Maybe its a UPS problem. Even if Double Tap goofed on something, this is not the norm for them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mike runs a tight ship... if you got an e-mail that said "it shipped", it seems to me that you are misplacing your blame.

If I recall correctly, Mike personally checks and responds to e-mail on Mondays... I'm sure he'll clear it up, if the problem lies with Double-Tap and not the carrier. But really, 1-2wk isn't unrealistic for shipping this time of year, either. My orders usually take over a week to get to me, it just depends on what they've got on the shelves and what they are waiting to be produced at the time.

Take a chill-pill.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I have taken all accounts into mind but since he never answers the phone I can not get a tracking number to find out if the blame indeeds lies with UPS or Mike himself.

Like I said, the first order with them went seemless, this one is really leaving a bad taste.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
molonlabetn said:
Mike runs a tight ship... if you got an e-mail that said "it shipped", it seems to me that you are misplacing your blame.

If I recall correctly, Mike personally checks and responds to e-mail on Mondays... .

If you run a business and only respond to emails one day a week, you need to make that REALLY clear to potential customers.

Communication is key to keeping customers happy. If this is indeed a carrier problem, a simple email would have the OP sorted out by now instead of pissed off.

If you are running a small business on the side, you need to manage customer expectations up front.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW, I didnt see the part about him only checking emails once a week on Monday. Thats nice, that means it will have been THREE WEEKS before anything is even acknowledged!! That pretty much does me in on ever ordering from this guy again!!

As Raz-o stated, communicaton is the key, here this guy has not answered (nor returned) 4 of my calls or 3 of my emails over a span of a week and three days!! I cant do anything without a tracking number and this JA doesnt even have the decency to respond and let ME do the LEG WORK while he runs his other business!!

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
Let me throw a couple of comments into the pot...I don't know this company, I've never done business with them, but email is a notoriously bad way to communicate, spam email has rendered many a businessman's email accounts almost useless, I get a lot of junk spam and my email isn't publicly available to the extent that a person who does business on the net.

Returning phone calls is another thing altogether, voice mail can be unreliable, but with more than two messages left he should have gotten the message.

That's my 2 cents worth....

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm very surprised that noone answered the phone when you called their 1-800-number...

They must be missing alot of orders, then.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally got an email today and ironically was calling him at the same time and actually got an answer!! Needless to say it is said that UPS supposedly lost the package in Kansas and it never made it to Texas. Had I not called, wrote, complained, no one would have never known anything is what he said.

Needless to say, now the 45 185gr. are all of a sudden on back order for 1-2weeks and I have to wait that much longer to get those. He is going to ship the 135gr 40's and wait until the 45's come in and ship those separately.

Either way, this has really left a bad taste and lack of trust in further orders. I believe the best bet is to find someone elsewhere.

Any recommendations out there??

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm glad Mike got in contact with you finally, and that the problem is being taken care of.

If you are looking for a Double-Tap alternative, check out Buffalo Bore. But, I hope you realize that DT didn't do anything wrong, other than take awhile to get back with you... but seriously, a week response time is about par for most companies, in my experience. Especially by e-mail.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
It's a very busy time of year for everyone.

You might consider giving Mike a break as it appears he is attempting to make it right.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont think all of the blame goes to UPS, after all, I never recieved any kind of tracking number to say it was ever truely shipped in the first place.

This is a one man show for the most part and to me that means he has A LOT on the line when it comes to customer service. It was only after the 8th time of which four were attempts to call by phone and being stuck leaving voicemails, and 4 were inquiries and emails to which it was finally answered today.

I just think it was kind of strange how all of a sudden they are backordered on 45 bullets but werent two weeks ago when I ordered? To me it sounds like the possiblity was there that maybe they wanted to say it was shipped and gamble that I wouldnt question its lack of arrival 2 weeks later? Just my theory, I dont think my experience should go unspoken nor edited.

I think the product is great, shoots well, is very affordable and I have posted postive remarks on their website stating so. I will more than likely give them another chance, but the experience will leave me a little cautious.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
medic -- Accusing them of lying to you is uncalled for IMHO.

A few things about small businesses, especially in this industry:

• Many small business owners are about as internet-savvy as a box of rocks. If the online store software he has won't manage shipment tracking automatically, it isn't going to happen. DoubleTap is far from the only company like that.
  • All ammo companies produce ammunition in lots. If they sold out of the particular .45 you wanted, they sold out. Until they build more, they're sold out. I once had to wait two months to get 10,000 rounds of ammo I ordered directly from Remington because they didn't have any and it wasn't in their build schedule for that quarter.
  • UPS lost your ammo. No one else is to blame for that than UPS. Small businesses pick the shipper that gives them the best service and price. Sometimes, stuff gets lost. It's completely out of the business owner's hands.
  • While I certainly don't think once-a-week phone/email contact is acceptable, again you are dealing with a small business. It might not even be his primary business.

• I've never used DoubleTap ammunition and probably never will ... I'm a big believer in the monstrously greater QC capabilities of the Big Three (ATK, Remington, Winchester) when it comes to my carry/defense ammunition. But if you're going to deal with a small business, you can't expect them to have the resources of a huge conglomerate.

There is absolutely nothing in this story that supports any accusation that they tried to pull one over on you, as you imply here:

I just think it was kind of strange how all of a sudden they are backordered on 45 bullets but werent two weeks ago when I ordered? To me it sounds like the possiblity was there that maybe they wanted to say it was shipped and gamble that I wouldnt question its lack of arrival 2 weeks later? Just my theory, I dont think my experience should go unspoken nor edited.

Was DoubleTap's customer service good? No. But without more evidence, accusing them of unsavory business practices seems improper.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
My experience with DT was leave one voice mail inquiry with no response ever. Send two emails with no response ever. Left a last voice mail and gave up. But since they never has my money I just figured that they didn't want or need any more business and went elsewhere. But overall their reputation is too good to believe they were trying to pull some kind of scam.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Todd, I think I will just stick with the big 3 as well. I understand UPS loses things, it just hasnt ever happened before. Either way, lesson learned. Time to move on.

·
Registered
708 Posts
**** happens.. i recently lost 135$ in computer stuff when UPS said the delivered to my home but I didnt get anything.

I had to file a claim with newegg.com and they filed a claim with UPS.

I had to reorder my stuff. Yes it sucked to have to wait another week or so.

I finally got a refund after 3 weeks.

Remember probably millions of people are buying stuff online more and more so its bound to happen.. sometimes even theft.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
medicff0879 said:
Todd, I think I will just stick with the big 3 as well.

The equipment & technology involved in quality control of top-end "premium" ammunition at the Big Three, especially JHPs intended for law enforcement use, is just so phenomenal and so far beyond what anyone is going to achieve with a Camdex running ammo in their garage or a small manufacturing space.

Again, I've never tried DoubleTap ammunition and I am not denigrating their product. Obviously, quite a few people have great faith in it. And, I have seen more than a few "top-end premium ammunition from the Big Three" have defects. But the odds are still stacked pretty heavily in favor of ATK (Federal & Speer), Remington, and Winchester.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ill have to agree, ive called at least 30 times and have yet to have anyone answer the phone, ive left 4 messages and sent 2 emails, still no response. Ive reluctantly still ordered some of their ammo because I want to test it, we will see when I receive, ive also received no email confirmation regarding my account sign up or placed order. definately not the way to do business. If they are that succesful and a victim of their own success, then hire someone to answer the phone and emails. very unprofessional. Ive never run into a business like this in my entire life. i hope everything works out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts